U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is not for me to decide. They want to be heard, that is their right. The one across the board consensus is that the majority of the people in this country are sick and tired of the way things are going. And all walks of life and incomes are using their vote and excercising their rights.

But let's not even go there with the whole "help those who are in need", that just simply isn't going to happen past what is already "budgeted" for which isn't much.

Evidently you are not aware that 43% of the people in this country are now living on some sort of subsidy from the gubment.

Last edited by brokensky; 10-09-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Evidently you are not aware the 43% of the people in this country are now living on some sort of subsidy from the gubment.

I am very well aware of those who are on assistance on many different forms...there will always be those who ride the system but this day, not so much! You are comparing apples and oranges. But let me remind you right here right now, because someone doesn't agree with you it does not mean they necessarily agree with the other sides either! You have taken your opinion and interpretations and turned them into my words and that is simply not true.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Did you say the same thing when the Tea Party was protesting? I'm sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

What's next.. potential hurricanes and tornadoes? Meteor showers?

Obama gets a ton of money from Wall St. and that''s the point. For some reason you think the protesters love Obama.. some may but the majority do not.
As has been the case a good bit in this thread, I think you missed my point. The OP said that the protests had no "end game" and nothing would change. My point was that, if that is the case, then we are wasting time and resources on a (dare I say it?)... a bridge to nowhere.

Every time someone on this thread tosses in a Left vs. Right jab, as the "tea party" response here, I realize I'm dealing with one who at least appears to be an Ideologue.

I completely disagree with your last statement. I would be willing to bet that 90% or so of the "99%ers" would either vote Obama or not at all before voting Republican. I've seen nothing to make me thing otherwise. Still, that's not even important.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM

There is not one instance they have sprayed LEO's with super soakers. If there is please post a link, I would be interested. Perhaps you are generalizing? Thus far, things have been pretty peaceful considering.

To place labels like you have on these protestors is not cool at all. Even the tea party had people do stupid things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Trust me the last place I want to be is in riot gear while protestors fill up super soaker's with urine and feces then spray it on LEO's

Their sole purpose is to get attention for their cause. They want to get unlawful reactions from LEO's which give them avenues to sue the city.

They are paid to do this
This is their job

I want no part of this

Oh and I am really hoping the anarchists do not show their faces

Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
There is not one instance they have sprayed LEO's with super soakers. If there is please post a link, I would be interested. Perhaps you are generalizing? Thus far, things have been pretty peaceful considering.

To place labels like you have on these protestors is not cool at all. Even the tea party had people do stupid things.
I think you are overreacting; he was speaking hypothetically about how protests in general sometimes are. The key part that you should have picked up on was when he said "riot gear." No one in the CLT police force has been in riot gear; hence, a hypothetical. I believe he was simply making the point that he'd rather be doing other enforcement work instead of a protest, especially a violent one, again speaking in generalities.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I think you are overreacting; he was speaking hypothetically about how protests in general sometimes are. The key part that you should have picked up on was when he said "riot gear." No one in the CLT police force has been in riot gear; hence, a hypothetical. I believe he was simply making the point that he'd rather be doing other enforcement work instead of a protest, especially a violent one, again speaking in generalities.

I don't make assumptions. What I did pick up on is the pre-disposition of the protestors. And no not overreacting, asking for clarification.

7,041 posts, read 13,132,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
i'm not particularly interested in corporate america. It is what it is.

I've watched things erode over the years, not because of corporations breaking the law (they do it sometimes, but it isn't an epidemic.), but because the laws allow it.

I'm much more concerned with governments that are non-functional. There is a lack of jobs. It's known that companies are sitting on money & not hiring. This happened in the 70s & people who were unemployed couldn't get hired until the feds passed a law that gave them a tax credit for hiring the unemployed. Now the president has offered a similar plan. Why didn't he say that this has worked in the past? Why are the republicans sitting around with their thumbs up the a$$es?

It's not corporate america as a whole & it's not unions as a whole. Yes, there are examples of bad corporations & bad union locals, but they are not bad as a whole. The problem is with legislators with agendas on the extreme right & extreme left.

Add in individuals whose personal greed helped to cause the current mess.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

70 posts, read 82,543 times
The demands that #ows and other groups like it are making, will benefit the 99% and if you are reading this odds are you are in the 99%. This is not about a free ride, this is about corporations with big money turning our democracy into a corporatocracy. Look at the food in your cabinets (if it's processed it's got toxins in it), look at the mortgages commodified by wall street and pushed on uneducated minority communities, look at the taxes you pay while GE and other big companies by zero. Zero. Look at the innocent civilians killed across the globe from overt and covert US military operations. Look at the all the 401K money lost due to big banks playing games with our retirement. Look who got bailed out. Not the 99%. This is not some liberal madness. This is reality. Read more here (http://ransackedmuse.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/american-autumn-at-occupychi-across-the-world/ - broken link).

Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansackedMuse View Post
The demands that #ows and other groups like it are making, will benefit the 99% and if you are reading this odds are you are in the 99%. This is not about a free ride, this is about corporations with big money turning our democracy into a corporatocracy. Look at the food in your cabinets (if it's processed it's got toxins in it), look at the mortgages commodified by wall street and pushed on uneducated minority communities, look at the taxes you pay while GE and other big companies by zero. Zero. Look at the innocent civilians killed across the globe from overt and covert US military operations. Look at the all the 401K money lost due to big banks playing games with our retirement. Look who got bailed out. Not the 99%. This is not some liberal madness. This is reality. Read more here (http://ransackedmuse.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/american-autumn-at-occupychi-across-the-world/ - broken link).
We were never - nor intended to be - a democracy. To the contrary, democracy as a reality was a grave concern of the founding fathers.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
What makes you ask that? I haven't even gone down that road. What I have said is when the balance of who holds the money in this country is what it is, there is a huge problem. Huge. There is a huge imbalance in this country.

There is no huge corporate overhaul in my posts. There are many people in this country who have been lead down paths of ruin all in the name of greed. it is sad and disgusting.
I will ask you again and this time please don't get hysterical.

What do you want SPECIFICALLY to happen to the "greedy" people on wall street? Who are they? What are there legal crimes? What penalities should government force on the companies they work for??? Are you talking about General Electric? Are you talking about Bank of America?

I don't want generalities or 2% blah, blah, blah.......

Can you please give me a non-politician like answer w/some specifics so we can move the conversation along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or