U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 05:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,137,084 times

Advertisements

I don't know who is old enough to remember the riots & the protests of the 60's & 70's. The Occupy_____ is beginning to sound/act a lot like them. I think that it is sad that it will take these kinds of things to create the kinds of change that we need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,148,671 times
Default Stop all the waste.....

I couldn’t give a rodent’s backside if thousands of occupiers go protest Wall Street, BOA or Disney World. Most don’t know even what they are protesting for and the media has portrayed it into some type monumental world changing event. If #ows were really interested in making a difference, they would:
Occupy a homeless shelter
Occupy a soup kitchen
Occupy a home for the aged, or the injured
Occupy a school in an impoverished area
Occupy a hammer and nail and build a ramp or a house for a wounded warrior
Then…they wouldn’t be wasting the one thing of value that they possess…time.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM

359 posts, read 504,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
There is not one instance they have sprayed LEO's with super soakers. If there is please post a link, I would be interested. Perhaps you are generalizing? Thus far, things have been pretty peaceful considering.

To place labels like you have on these protestors is not cool at all. Even the tea party had people do stupid things.
I wasn't talking about the recent Occupy Charlotte

I'm talking about what generally happens at these large protests, like the DNC.

Democratic National Convention: First Responders Warned of Protester-Thrown Urine and Feces Bombs « Blogs of War

I don't care what party it is, I don't want urine and feces thrown on me!

One last thing:

I wish the RNC & DNC were taking place the same week. To have the RNC held in Tampa the week prior to the DNC is a recipe for disaster with regards to LEO. This is their Super Bowl of protesting.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I couldn’t give a rodent’s backside if thousands of occupiers go protest Wall Street, BOA or Disney World. Most don’t know even what they are protesting for and the media has portrayed it into some type monumental world changing event. If #ows were really interested in making a difference, they would:
Occupy a homeless shelter
Occupy a soup kitchen
Occupy a home for the aged, or the injured
Occupy a school in an impoverished area
Occupy a hammer and nail and build a ramp or a house for a wounded warrior
Then…they wouldn’t be wasting the one thing of value that they possess…time.
+1

THAT'S how you make a difference.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I am very well aware of those who are on assistance on many different forms...there will always be those who ride the system but this day, not so much! You are comparing apples and oranges. But let me remind you right here right now, because someone doesn't agree with you it does not mean they necessarily agree with the other sides either! You have taken your opinion and interpretations and turned them into my words and that is simply not true.
I am sorry if I have misinterpreted anything you have written. Sincerely.

But I must say again - with 43% of folks on some sort of subsidy in this country - aren't we already beholden ("we" meaning - "We, the People of this country) to Uncle Sam and his minions (i.e. bureaucrats and politicians). And aren't the folks on subsistence (whether they are gaming the system, genuinely in need or not) relying on those who ARE working to keep us from living on the streets, literally?

And isn't Wall Street where profits are made, wh/ keep businesses moving forward and their doors open? And if those profits are not made, then our investments, funds wh/ We, the People have paid our hard-earned money into, doomed?

I think we both agree that this is a vicious cycle . . . but there is interdependence. And nothing can happen on Wall Street that isn't overseen by federal regs.

Perhaps it would have been a meaningful protest against Wall Street to demand prosecution of all those involved in creating and packing and then selling globally the derivatives that ended in the financial debacle we are now all struggling with.

Now, if protesters were carrying signs saying: Prosecute the Bums - that would make sense. But they aren't!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now, if protesters were carrying signs saying: Prosecute the Bums - that would make sense. But they aren't!
And I fear that many would want prosecution for "outrageous" salaries... which isn't against the law, at least not yet, thankfully.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I don't know who is old enough to remember the riots & the protests of the 60's & 70's. The Occupy_____ is beginning to sound/act a lot like them. I think that it is sad that it will take these kinds of things to create the kinds of change that we need.
I remember it and I know exactly what you are saying about being concerned.

I am concerned, as well.

But I must ask, CHI - what is the change you feel we need?

Are you meaning what I have been thinking - that no one has been prosecuted for the derivatives mess? Or are you thinking about some other change (such as a change in trade agreements that would somehow stave businesses from offshoring?)

I don't listen to the pundits cause they are all biased and self-serving (ratings!). And I don't think you do, either. So I am wondering - what is the change that needs to take place, in your opinion, that would get the economy back on track?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
And I fear that many would want prosecution for "outrageous" salaries... which isn't against the law, at least not yet, thankfully.
Well, that is the media stirring up the class warfare concept . . .

I honestly do not think anyone gives a damn that folks like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett (sp?) and Oprah Winfrey are mega-rich. I think what they are furious about (and I find it heinous, as well) are bonuses given to upper level management when the companies themselves are failing or the businesses participated in some wacky bidness that meant big losses for the average guy on the street.

From what I have read here and on other forums - there definitely are some people who would love to cap salaries - b/c they (naively) think that would mean more money to hand out to workers in salary. But I think most folks realize that if the money isn't going out in C-level salaries, it would be plowed back into the business in R&D, capital improvements, etc - b/c of taxes. (Surely most folks realize this???)

Although I have my serious doubts that ANYONE is worth a salary of say - $40M a year . . . it shouldn't be of any concern to anyone except shareholders what a board of directors decides is the proper compensation for the person they have recruited and hired to run a corporation. It may seem obscene (seems that way to me!) but it isn't illegal and neither should it be.

We do live in a capitalistic society . . . you get what the market bears . . .

Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I'm a baby boomer. I remember those & more.

I'm fed up and sick & tired. My aim is to be self employed as soon as possible.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM

33 posts, read 32,896 times
They are no more or less a legitimate movement than the TEA party. The TEA party is outraged about bank bailouts as is OWS. Some of their demands are outrageous as is the TEA party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or