U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times

Advertisements

Here's something to chew on whether you want to be in the 99%, refuse to be in there, or simply deny it.

Wall St owns both parties.

Two Political Parties For The Prices Of $1,188,644,055 | ZeroHedge

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-11-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: no copyrighted photos, the link you provided to photo is good enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is the disdain more than what you feel for the current system in place? I'm not a Tea Party fan due to the movement getting hijacked and some of the elected officials come off a little wacko at times but you have to wonder if they sound nuts because we have listened to politicians lie about everything to get elected.

Wall St. bought up the regulations through lobbying in the early 2000's and pushed us over the edge. We haven't closed any loopholes or changed enough laws to stop it from happening again and if politicians tried to change these laws Wall St. would pay the next guy off.

Unless we get a bunch of guys from outside the beltway it will be more of the same... This is almost impossible to do because major corporations also control the media and news. They have it locked up and unless we get Tea Party"ish" and vote in new blood things won't change.
You bring up very interesting points!

I thought that with the advent of so much social media, the nature of political campaigns would change - that it would become possible (indeed, likely) that the man on the street- as you said - someone outside the beltway - could launch a campaign and get nationwide coverage by using social media - and more or less bypassing corporate main stream media (MSM).

Instead, I heard that it will take over a BILLION dollars to run Obama's campaign. Now, maybe it takes that much to run everyone's - I just happened to hear that figure on MSNBC one morning (so I stand corrected if anyone has better info to share). That totally blew me away! HOW CAN THAT BE? Why is it necessary to spend that much money when there is so much FREE "air time" out there on the internet now?

Then it hit me . . . those $38K dinners Obama is having (and I am just stating his situation b/c I don't know about Romney's dinners and how much they cost, for ex) . . . those dinners are with big donors who want face time. They want to have entree to the White House. (DUH! lol)

Politicians want the vote from the man on the street, but they are trading face time for the BIG BUCKS from the BIG DONORS. So I guess a campaign that is launched completely with social media bypasses the fat cats who want to INFLUENCE legislation later.

Of course, that is how things have evolved over 50 years . . . no surprises with corporations wanting to influence what legislation is introduced and what legislation gets passed (or tabled). But here is the rub: if the American people really wanted to get BIG BUSINESS and OUTSIDE INFLUENCE out of the picture, all we would have to do is stick to a social media campaign - and insist on our own form of FACE TIME w/ the candidates.

How about ONLINE "Town Hall Meetings?" If folks are gonna get organized, looks like we would do it online rather than camping in front of ANY building. That is soooo 20th Century. My generation plopped our butts down on our campuses to protest Viet Nam. You better believe if we had only had access to YouTube, FB, our own live streaming sites, creating our own websites, etc . . . we would have used those methods. So why are we not doing that NOW?

#occupytheNET

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM

55 posts, read 61,832 times
Buckley v Valeo

Citizens United

I posted the links earlier. That's the first thing that needs fixed. Then we need to ban lobbyist authored legislation and severely limit the role of lobbyists in D.C.

Last edited by Final49er; 10-11-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
I heard this morning that the Congressional elections will top 2.5 Billion this next time around. How can anyone expect a level playing field with that type of money?

Now that we are getting people outside the loop in Congress they created another inner loop with the "super committee"

That isn't constitutional...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM

763 posts, read 644,384 times
I personally am glad to see the protest although I think that most of the issues are moot and the whole thing accomplishes nothing. I am just glad to show that we are a civilized city and can show concerns without burning down houses or tearing up cars, etc like other cities. Ideas and assumptions are all relative. So they can protest all they wish with my blessing. I only ask that they don't poop on the lawns of our city owned lots where they are camping.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I personally am glad to see the protest although I think that most of the issues are moot and the whole thing accomplishes nothing. I am just glad to show that we are a civilized city and can show concerns without burning down houses or tearing up cars, etc like other cities. Ideas and assumptions are all relative. So they can protest all they wish with my blessing. I only ask that they don't poop on the lawns of our city owned lots where they are camping.

Yes, the sanitation issues are worrisome, lol.

I think public protest is the American Way. I just don't think whatever message this group is trying to send is effective - and I think the movement has been hijacked by folks w/ a hidden agenda (unions).

Any effective movement needs to be bipartisan - just an uprising of the average man on the street who is sick of the voice of the people being drowned out by "payola" from corporations who buy political clout in order to have a puppet in political office.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM

414 posts, read 578,468 times
I know it's a liberal's take on OWS but here is Michael Moore's take on the protest. via the website FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting) Some Breaks in the Blackout of Wall Street Protests

"The main thing is, number one, is that the rich are getting away with a huge crime. Nobody has been arrested on Wall Street for the crash of 2008. They're not paying their fair share of the taxes. And now with the Citizens United case of the Supreme Court, they get to buy politicians up out in the open....

It all points to, are we going to live in a democracy that's run by the majority of the people, or are we going to be living in a kleptocracy, where the kleptomaniacs down on Wall Street, who have stolen people's pension funds, they've wrecked people's lives, millions have been thrown out of their homes, millions are without health insurance, millions have lost their jobs?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I couldn’t give a rodent’s backside if thousands of occupiers go protest Wall Street, BOA or Disney World. Most don’t know even what they are protesting for and the media has portrayed it into some type monumental world changing event. If #ows were really interested in making a difference, they would:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Occupy a homeless shelter
Occupy a soup kitchen
Occupy a home for the aged, or the injured ccupy a school in an impoverished area
Occupy a hammer and nail and build a ramp or a house for a wounded warrior
Then…they wouldn’t be wasting the one thing of value that they possess…time.
Maybe a lot of them already do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
But speaking of GE just saw the CEO on 60 minutes.....interesting interview.
I saw that. Amazing that this guy thinks that Americans should stand up and cheer for GE "like the Chinese are doing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If you don't see this as an extreme left wing mobilization I don't know what more to tell you. I've said this shortly after the first wall street protests, I posted it yesterday, and I'll say it again today: this entire occupy movement is a smoke and mirrors game based to energize the left.

I am pretty much a super liberal and I didn't get the notice.

Last edited by DogMomDeb; 10-11-2011 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: ubb craziness

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,272,913 times
Quote:
I'm not a Tea Party fan due to the movement getting hijacked and some of the elected officials come off a little wacko at times but you have to wonder if they sound nuts because we have listened to politicians lie about everything to get elected.
Probably the most intriguing point anyone has brought up here.

Voters get turned off of politicians like Ron Paul and Moonbeam Kucinich because they talk in rigid extremes. They come off as being too radical and I think the average voter fears that sort of shift. The tea party comes off as too radical because they represent an extreme shift (granted, one that takes the ideals of one party and shifts it further). So it becomes "change the system, but not so fast because I don't know how it'll ultimately affect me".

The problems that weigh against Paul and Kucinich is that the moment they start sounding like whack jobs the average voter no longer listens to what they have to say, no matter how good their ideas are.

To my understanding the occupy movement has a four month permit or an extension for #occupywashdc. If that's true, to that end I'll say good for them. I can get behind that very easily.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
you need to reformat your post DogMom

Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
you need to reformat your post DogMom
I believe she did by time you posted.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or