U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM

414 posts, read 581,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I believe she did by time you posted.
I'm a bit rusty on the ubb skills. I was kind of when I saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 AM

841 posts, read 1,240,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final49er View Post
Buckley v Valeo

Citizens United

I posted the links earlier. That's the first thing that needs fixed. Then we need to ban lobbyist authored legislation and severely limit the role of lobbyists in D.C.
And sadly since lobbyists are among the donors the legislation will be dead in the water I fear. Hope I'm wrong though.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM

11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Probably the most intriguing point anyone has brought up here.

Voters get turned off of politicians like Ron Paul and Moonbeam Kucinich because they talk in rigid extremes. They come off as being too radical and I think the average voter fears that sort of shift. The tea party comes off as too radical because they represent an extreme shift (granted, one that takes the ideals of one party and shifts it further). So it becomes "change the system, but not so fast because I don't know how it'll ultimately affect me".

The problems that weigh against Paul and Kucinich is that the moment they start sounding like whack jobs the average voter no longer listens to what they have to say, no matter how good their ideas are.

To my understanding the occupy movement has a four month permit or an extension for #occupywashdc. If that's true, to that end I'll say good for them. I can get behind that very easily.
Once you strip away the "us vs them" between the Tea Party and OW crowd and realize it's all of us vs the system put in place we may get somewhere.

I do understand some of the frustration with the crowd in NYC because every interview has some super high kid answering questions without really answering them.

However, I feel like the media is playing the 6 o'clock news game where they find the woman with rollers and horrible communication skills to speak for the crowd.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Once you strip away the "us vs them" between the Tea Party and OW crowd and realize it's all of us vs the system put in place we may get somewhere.

I do understand some of the frustration with the crowd in NYC because every interview has some super high kid answering questions without really answering them.

However, I feel like the media is playing the 6 o'clock news game where they find the woman with rollers and horrible communication skills to speak for the crowd.
I have been listening less and less to MSM b/c I think it is all biased depending on the network (and the ratings game, corporate ownership, etc).

You may be right about who reporters are choosing to "speak for the crowd."

But it does seem their message is coming across garbled and more or less a ploy from the left.

The message I am getting from this Occupy group is . . . anti-capitalism and anarchy, neither of wh/ makes me comfortable.

If they want to call for action with investigations into institutions - governmental as well as private - that have engaged in illegal (or borderline) business practices, then they should focus on getting that message out.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM

22,021 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:

I worked as a broadcast tech for years & knew a lot of reporters. I've had conversations that might clarify things a bit.

Usually, unless there is a designated spokesman/woman at this type of event, the reporters get the person who is willing to speak to them.

In a case like this, if the reporter asks Joe Blow to speak, but Joe is trying to get a job, Joe is probably going to say no. However, if Hedda Hopper isn't trying to get work & is a bit of a nut case,she probably will speak. The reporter probably will have the camera operator pan the crowd & take shots of various people who look reputable, to balance out Hedda. If the package time gets cut, well, it's going to look more & more like Hedda is representative of the group.

In most cases, reporters don't set out for this sort of thing with an agenda, but if the producer has an agenda or something cuts into time & the package has to be edited down, well, it can change a lot.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,864 times
Well there you go: 10,000 finance jobs expected to vanish from Wall Street - Oct. 11, 2011

From the story:

The New York state comptroller expects Wall Street to lose 10,000 jobs by the end of 2012.The job losses are projected to occur in New York City's securities industry from now through December, 2012, according to Eric Sumberg, press spokesman for state comptroller Thomas DiNapoli.
"It now seems likely that profits will fall sharply, job losses will continue, and bonuses will be smaller than last year," DiNapoli said in a press release. "These developments will have a rippling effect through the economy and adversely impact state and city tax collections."
The comptroller blamed the dismal outlook on "uncertainty due to the European sovereign debt crisis, a sluggish domestic economy, volatile stock markets and regulatory changes."

10,000 jobs gone from the evil Wall Street, and it's impending economic ripple.

Like I said: The only thing worse in America than big corporations is the absence of big corporations.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Well there you go: 10,000 finance jobs expected to vanish from Wall Street - Oct. 11, 2011

From the story:

The New York state comptroller expects Wall Street to lose 10,000 jobs by the end of 2012.The job losses are projected to occur in New York City's securities industry from now through December, 2012, according to Eric Sumberg, press spokesman for state comptroller Thomas DiNapoli.
"It now seems likely that profits will fall sharply, job losses will continue, and bonuses will be smaller than last year," DiNapoli said in a press release. "These developments will have a rippling effect through the economy and adversely impact state and city tax collections."
The comptroller blamed the dismal outlook on "uncertainty due to the European sovereign debt crisis, a sluggish domestic economy, volatile stock markets and regulatory changes."

10,000 jobs gone from the evil Wall Street, and it's impending economic ripple.

Like I said: The only thing worse in America than big corporations is the absence of big corporations.
I will believe it when it happens... if the market rallies or we inject more cash into the system they will talk about how things turned around and the bonuses will be even bigger.

When has Wall St. EVER kept their word?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,484,458 times
Quote:
When has Wall St. EVER kept their word?
"Wall St." is a place, not a person, or even a homogenous entity. It does not have a "word" to keep. The people who work on Wall Street are just like people who work on Main Street or Maple Street or Anwhere Lane: a plethora of individuals who each have their own individual, values, morals, priorities, ethics, beliefs, etc. Most are people just doing their jobs to pay their bills and support their families just like you. Some of the people who work in these companies happen to be unscrupulous d-bags...there are probably a few in your office as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
"Wall St." is a place, not a person, or even a homogenous entity. It does not have a "word" to keep. The people who work on Wall Street are just like people who work on Main Street or Maple Street or Anwhere Lane: a plethora of individuals who each have their own individual, values, morals, priorities, ethics, beliefs, etc. Most are people just doing their jobs to pay their bills and support their families just like you. Some of the people who work in these companies happen to be unscrupulous d-bags...there are probably a few in your office as well.
Thank you, Tober. I have said the same thing on this thread a few pages back - Wall Street is not anthropomorphic, lol.

These are folks w/ lives and families - and very few of them are making a gazillion dollars. I happen to know several brokers (and one former broker) who work/ed there and they certainly are/were not mega-rich - just normal guys supporting their families. Nothing nefarious going in their lives at work or at home! Just trying to pay the mortgage, educate their kids - like everyone else.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
whatever...

WALL ST, that isn't a person or a homogenous entity... is said to lose 10,000 jobs.

Wall ST, that isn't a person or a homogenous entity... cannot be trusted to keep it's word when it comes to job losses or bonus reductions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or