U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
And to boot, it was a very specific, narrow, and measurable desired outcome, not some nebulous set of ideals and hopes.

Also, on CNN today, Occupy Wall Street press team member Mark Bray admits that the protestors don't really have a cogent answer to the problems either:

"To tell everyone that we have the solution to their specific problems, that would be what the political parties are already doing," Bray says.

Exactly. So why march on Wall Street again when you say that the political parties should be solved the problem?
So are we to take it that this movement is simply a bit$h-fest for folks to just come and gripe about "whatever" they feel has impacted their lives?

Now I am more confused than I was before.

If all we are doing is letting the world know we are angry, we should just line up "Network" on Netflix, get inspired, and take our cue from Howard Beale:

I want you to go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell: "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Why dont you organize your OWN march then? You could set it up the *right* way...

Or are you just content to waste your employers dollars with worthless castigation?

Do something, or let it go. I think we can all divine your position from your umpteen posts on this thread whining about the same thing.
If so much effort is gonna go into something that is supposed to be a grassroots movement, it would seem wise to take that energy and do something EFFECTIVE with it.

The folks doing the whining are plopped on Wall Street.

And their message, if there really IS one, seems to be lost amongst a cacaphony of disperate voices, signifying nothing other than free-floating anger.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,009,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If so much effort is gonna go into something that is supposed to be a grassroots movement, it would seem wise to take that energy and do something EFFECTIVE with it.

The folks doing the whining are plopped on Wall Street.

And their message, if there really IS one, seems to be lost amongst a cacaphony of disperate voices, signifying nothing other than free-floating anger.
Every journey starts with a single step. Sometimes the first step is in the wrong direction, but you don't have to abandon your trip!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Every journey starts with a single step. Sometimes the first step is in the wrong direction, but you don't have to abandon your trip!

I agree with that 100%! So true about nearly everything we attempt to do in life.

I would just like to see all the energy and disgust channeled into a direction that would get some real results. That's all. God knows, this country is in a mess and it would be a huge uplifting moment to see We, the People coming together, with a clear message!, and getting some legislation changed - and politicians thrown out of office come 2012. And I mean - both sides of the aisle.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times
Quote:
Why dont you organize your OWN march then? You could set it up the *right* way...

Or are you just content to waste your employers dollars with worthless castigation?

Do something, or let it go. I think we can all divine your position from your umpteen posts on this thread whining about the same thing.
Thank you for saying it better then I ever could!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:27 AM

841 posts, read 1,239,738 times
Quote:
So are we to take it that this movement is simply a bit$h-fest for folks to just come and gripe about "whatever" they feel has impacted their lives?

Now I am more confused than I was before.

If all we are doing is letting the world know we are angry, we should just line up "Network" on Netflix, get inspired, and take our cue from Howard Beale:

I want you to go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell: "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore."
Funny you mention "Network." Last week I tuned into the Occupy Wall Street's Livestream channel and guess what they were playing over and over? You guessed it! (Nevermind the copyright infringement of them showing it).

Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I don't have to march anywhere but to the voting booth. That's where one affects a change

To your last point? I notice you mention my "upteen posts" and "whining" but you don't say the same for those who also post in this thread a lot as well but who agree with you. Instead of using loaded words like "whining" why not debate on my points, which simply is that this protest is the right reason but wrong area of focus.

We aren't that far apart here unless you are just railing about those with too much money.

Quote:
I agree with that 100%! So true about nearly everything we attempt to do in life.

I would just like to see all the energy and disgust channeled into a direction that would get some real results. That's all. God knows, this country is in a mess and it would be a huge uplifting moment to see We, the People coming together, with a clear message!, and getting some legislation changed - and politicians thrown out of office come 2012. And I mean - both sides of the aisle.
If we all can't agree that the politicians are a huge part of the problem here then I suspect some aren't really concerned about the real problem; perhaps they are just a part of the "hate the rich" movement.

Last edited by lowercountry; 10-12-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,475,820 times
Quote:
That reminds me of what people used to say about the anti-war protesters in the 60's: "America: Love it or leave it". In other words - if you don't agree with "us", then shut up and go away.

It seems to me that the only people doing the "whining" (other than many of the "occupy" protestors) are those that seem to be incredulous over the fact that not everyone in "the 99%" agrees with them.

Last edited by Tober138; 10-12-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Funny you mention "Network." Last week I tuned into the Occupy Wall Street's Livestream channel and guess what they were playing over and over? You guessed it! (Nevermind the copyright infringement of them showing it).
NO! ROFL! Well, I think we are at that point where opening windows and shouting in a chorus might at least make a point as far as how widespread the anger is in this country!

I have come to believe that is what Occupy Wall Street is about - expressing anger.

I just want to see something HAPPEN - end result - that will solve some of this nation's problems and bring some resolution to milliions of folks who are out of work, underemployed . . . and feeling pretty hopeless right now.

I am fully aware that folks seem to be dismissing what I am saying b/c I am not rallying to the cause, but that is not my point . . . I am right there with the disgruntled masses. I just want a clear message so that the politicians know what they have to DO to get things back on track.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I am fully aware that folks seem to be dismissing what I am saying b/c I am not rallying to the cause, but that is not my point . . . I am right there with the disgruntled masses. I just want a clear message so that the politicians know what they have to DO to get things back on track.
Precisely where I am as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or