Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
ROFL - that is exactly what I thought when I read it... I mean talk about putting on your tinfoil hat to find a conspiracy!
Have no idea about Soros, but I have found it interesting (or maybe even humorous) from the get-go that this movement was, in fact, started by a Canadian organization and not by a group of people from this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Have no idea about Soros, but I have found it interesting (or maybe even humorous) from the get-go that this movement was, in fact, started by a Canadian organization and not by a group of people from this country.
Well, that's assuming you take the OpEd piece here as gospel, right? I always look at the source, but just because Reuters/Yahoo picked it up doesn't make it 100% true. I mean it's "speculation" and "indirect" per the article.

Either way, I don't see how it matters who/what/where... Wall St isn't only poisoning the US.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
Well, that's assuming you take the OpEd piece here as gospel, right? I always look at the source, but just because Reuters/Yahoo picked it up doesn't make it 100% true.
Agreed but most often than not, AP and Reuters is pretty close to the truth.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Quote:
I don't understand how this became about "big business"?!

the "Occupy" movement has a lot of anti-corporate and anti-capitalist folks, and Fox News, etc, is giving them a lot more coverage than the anti-finance crowd.

However, let's say you're some guy who doesn't know much about the financial collapse, but you have always leaned to the right. The GOP presidential candidates are all blaming Dodd-Frank and the CRA, saying that the banks did nothing wrong. Fox News is highlighting the fact that unions, Soros, and lefties are involved.

For people who only pay "a little bit" of attention to politics and economics, the crisis itself looks like the fault of "too much government", and the protesters look like they are protesting capitalism. The rest of us know better.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Agreed but most often than not, AP and Reuters is pretty close to the truth.
I agree with you.

Why Is Reuters Trying to Link George Soros to Occupy Wall Street? -- Daily Intel

Quote:
The indirect financial link is as follows: Soros funds the organization Open Society, which between 2007 and 2009 gave $3.5 million to a group called the Tides Center, a clearinghouse for liberal donors that distributes grants of more than $100 million each year. The Tides Center gave $185,000 between 2001 and 2010 to Adbusters — the Vancouver-based anti-consumerist organization that helped conceive of Occupy Wall Street — and $26,000 of that came between 2007 and 2009.

So, to sum up, years before the Occupy Wall Street protests were even a gleam in anyone's eye, a trickle of Soros's money went to one of the groups involved. Compared to the Koch brothers and their well-documented financial ties to the tea party, it is very nearly a rounding error.

This story might not be out of place on Fox News, but at Reuters, which has always taken pains to stay above the partisan fray, it smells suspiciously like Drudge bait. (Sure enough, The Drudge Report ran a link to the item, with the headline: "WIRE: Who's behind 'Occupy'?") For a company that "aims to report the facts, not rumours," an attempt to tie Occupy Wall Street to conservatives' favorite billionaire boogeyman feels poorly thought-out, at best.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Hey they have to eat, purchase, tents, etc... right? And perhaps (though I have no idea) there are some "professionals" among the group - those being paid to be there.
Well, they say the rich stay rich by being thrifty... Soros looks cheap given the video's and photo's I've seen.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
If laws were broken they are indeed crooks and should go to prison. The "prey", however, were also guilty in some respects as well. One can really desire something - such as a much bigger house - so much that they can be blinded to the truth, which is what they can afford.
There is no question that the mortgage companies and banks knew what they were doing. They lied to consumers about what they could afford and immediately sold off the crummy sub-prime mortgages as soon as the ink was dry. Then financial institutions bundled up the crap and deemed them safe AAA securities to fool the investors. It's all fraud.

It was only a matter of time before everyone lost in the game of musical chairs the financial institutions were playing.

I see lots of posters concentrating more energy on the ill-informed people who took out mortgages they couldn't afford, while not saying a word about the crooks who put the whole thing together.

Well, guess what? Tons of people are financially illiterate - so illiterate they don't even know what they don't know! Few people have parents who taught them enough about finances because they don't know enough themselves. And forget the schools.

And guess what else? Regardless of their ignorance, YOU have been affected even if YOU did everything right.

Maybe you were financially sound enough to have a good down-payment and only buy as much house as you could afford. Yet if you bought at the top of the artificially-inflated market, then you have lost equity in your house through no fault of your own. If you sell in the next few years, it will be at a loss and you may even owe money.

Or ... if you bought a home in normal times and have owned it long enough to build equity, you may not be able to sell it when you need to because the market is overwhelmed with unsold stock.

Or ... maybe you did everything right, but you or your family have lost their job in the aftermath of the mortgage meltdown. Maybe you are working longer for less money now.

YOU and/or YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS have been affected by the economic meltdown ... or will be eventually in the form of housing, jobs, or inflation.

I am lucky enough to own my own business, but right now, I know more people without jobs than I have ever known in my life. NOT ONE of them took a financial risk. These are solid people who had good jobs and lost them because of the economic meltdown.

There is one thing the financially-illiterate sub-prime victims did NOT do. THEY did not flood the economy with excess dollars. All those excess dollars were looking for a place to invest and they found it by blowing up the housing market. You can thank the Federal Reserve for that.

This is the reason more and more people want to "End the Fed". The Federal Reserve is unconstitutional and it's NOT a government entity. It's a secretive private central bank, yet they control the amount of money that floats in the economy and their actions fuel inflation.

As much as the victims of sub-prime loans were financially illiterate, most Americans are just as illiterate in understanding how central banking works and how the Federal Reserve affects everything in their lives.

How many of you know what fractional reserve banking is and how it's been stretched to the limits over time? What do you really know about the gold standard? How is inflation generated? Why don't banks pay enough interest nowadays so that you can simply save your money safely in the bank at a decent return instead of risking it in the stock market?

So, who's the patsy? We all are.

FEDERAL RESERVE INFO:

End the Fed - Ron Paul - Mises Daily

End the Fed

So you can argue till the cows come home about how stupid these consumers were, but in the end, WE ALL are victims of everything that happened.

All this talk about what the Occupy Wall Street protesters are demanding is a bit meaningless right now. You have all these different people who know something has gone terribly wrong converging together in one place.

Some of the media is trying to portray all of them as stupid by cherry-picking the dumbest protesters they can find and airing tapes of them answering questions in a vague fog. Glen Beck put up a video saying the protesters were mindlessly repeating everything a speaker said. This is disinformation at it's finest because the protesters have developed a system of repeating everything so people far away can hear because there are few microphones.

Try looking at You Tube videos instead of the cherry-picked ones. Try looking at more independent reports from people who have visited the protesters. After all, only a few corporations own ALL the major media outlets. Think they might have an agenda?

The protesters are talking to each other. The Wall Street protesters have established a street library that is filling up with books and they are reading them. At least many of them are TRYING to get a grip on what has happened to our country. Who knows where it will lead? It may organize into something cohesive.

Occupy Wall Street Library Blog: Occupy Wall Street Library | The People's Library at Liberty Plaza

And if you have time, look up Gerald Celente. He runs a group that is hired by Fortune 500 companies to predict trends. He has a newsletter and his record is amazing. He predicted the sub-prime meltdown (as did others). He has been predicting mass protests for a long time. He always says "When people have nothing left to lose; they lose it."

Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is no question that the mortgage companies and banks knew what they were doing. They lied to consumers about what they could afford and immediately sold off the crummy sub-prime mortgages as soon as the ink was dry.
How in hell does someone lie to me about what I can afford? I know my finances and unless they're lying to me about how much I make they can't lie to me.

To imply otherwise is to insult the intelligence of the "victims." I don't know what's worse - you calling them "victims" or you implying that they are so stupid they can't think for themselves. Quite frankly that line of thinking is beyond insulting.

As the Eagles once sang, "we are all just prisoners here, of our own device."

Bottom line? EVERYONE on all sides were complicit: those getting the houses they couldn't afford, the government that was forcing the banks to give out ill-conceived loans in the name of "fairness" (and then buying them up the loans), and the lenders who saw the government was going to cover those bad loans.

Greed? It occurred on all levels because no one seemed to think any other parts of the house of cards would collapse.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Whether you completely support the OWS protestors or aren't wholly sure about the movement yet, you can not deny the irony of this photo. A heavy rainstorm came up in NYC so some of the protestors took to shelter... in a BOA ATM Kiosk:

Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 AM

359 posts, read 591,679 times
Lol!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte