Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is relevant....it is in the eye of the beholder as to what is a waste and what is not. What is important to you, is not necessarily what might be important to me. So that is not really a valid argument.
In other words, if you disagree then I don't have a point? Interesting. Seems like figuratively putting fingers in both ears.

Again - you didn't answer my question: how do you categorize the "1%"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

As much as many people want to think that the 1% are greedy scum, perhaps they should do some homework and look at who is in the 1% - which is (as of 2010) anyone with an AGI of $380k or more. Not saying that is not a comfortable salary, but many of those who belong to the 1% are just hard-working individuals who have earned a comfy living through effort, personal sacrifice and (maybe in some cases) a bit of luck - NOT mega-rich multimillionaires riding around in their yachts, rattling their jewelry at the homeless and causing countless jobs to disappear.

But what are they really doing? Especially those who have been camped out 24/7 for weeks now? What are they "doing" for our communitiy?
That's a horrible excuse... OWS isn't targeting the 380K hard working individuals or small businesses with this protest. That's like saying any Tea Party member who wants smaller government want's the bridges and roads to crumble and Police stations to close.

It's about the corporatism that is corrupting our system. The "crony capitalism" and lobbying done in congress on corporate America's behalf...

Bob the Smoothie King franchise owner isn't who OWS is targeting and we all know that but some of you are being a bit juvenile by claiming this is the case.

One more thing, I know some will say march on Washington because the Gov't is the real target but the Tea Party already did that... this movement is targeting the other side.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Bob the Smoothie King franchise owner isn't who OWS is targeting and we all know that but some of you are being a bit juvenile by claiming this is the case.
Who EXACTLY are they targeting and what EXACTLY do they want from those targeted? What would they EXACTLY consider their exit strategy?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I just read this (and noted others have read it today, as well).

Bank of America nixes $5 debit card fee - Yahoo! Finance

As I said earlier, the way to affect a bank is to affect their bottom line, just as with any business.

BANK TRANSFER DAY.

I thought this was very interesting as someone DID figure out a way to protest rising bank fees at BofA, but they managed to do it in an effective way and they didn't need to take up space on public property or cost the city $107K to clean up their mess. They declared a date for folks to take action and they stated what the action should be (change your bank - go to credit union or savings and loan).

Now, that is how you organize a protest.

And the Bank Transfer Day protest isn't costing taxpayers a dime . . .

Excerpt:

The about-face by the banking industry comes amid growing public anger over higher bank fees. A movement to get customers to close their bank accounts and switch to credit unions had marked this Saturday as "Bank Transfer Day." The movement was started earlier this month by a Bank of America customer who said she was fed up with fees.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
The fact is that Forbes listed BOA the 2rd largest company in the world as late as 2010. While that fact alone probably drives some people crazy it also seems to invalidate the argument that they've been bleeding customers for a few years. As of that same time frame, BOA had over 57 million customer and businesses in its service field.

Again, one could argue the whole "too big to fail" with those facts but it seems as though BOA was doing pretty well until this ill-advised "Debit Card Charge" fiasco and not some grassroots movement.
So you really believe that bofa was doing "well" until the proposed debit card fee mess?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just read this (and noted others have read it today, as well).

Bank of America nixes $5 debit card fee - Yahoo! Finance

As I said earlier, the way to affect a bank is to affect their bottom line, just as with any business.

BANK TRANSFER DAY.

I thought this was very interesting as someone DID figure out a way to protest rising bank fees at BofA, but they managed to do it in an effective way and they didn't need to take up space on public property or cost the city $107K to clean up their mess. They declared a date for folks to take action and they stated what the action should be (change your bank - go to credit union or savings and loan).

Now, that is how you organize a protest.

And the Bank Transfer Day protest isn't costing taxpayers a dime . . .

Excerpt:

The about-face by the banking industry comes amid growing public anger over higher bank fees. A movement to get customers to close their bank accounts and switch to credit unions had marked this Saturday as "Bank Transfer Day." The movement was started earlier this month by a Bank of America customer who said she was fed up with fees.
If some taxpayers have a problem with OWS but other taxpayers don't what's the big deal?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So you really believe that bofa was doing "well" until the proposed debit card fee mess?
The facts bear it out - it's not a matter of reasonable opinion.

But let me ask you this then - if BOA were not doing well then why would the Occupiers target them as the "1%"?

You can't have it both ways.

Why are you not responding to my question, asking you to categorize the "1%"?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If some taxpayers have a problem with OWS but other taxpayers don't what's the big deal?
That's all you got out of my post re: what it means to have an effective protest?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Who EXACTLY are they targeting and what EXACTLY do they want from those targeted? What would they EXACTLY consider their exit strategy?
I can't answer that EXACTLY but there are links earlier in the thread that address these questions.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That's all you got out of my post re: what it means to have an effective protest?

Pretty much... those other things are effective but sometimes the people want to be heard through protest. I don't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte