Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times

Advertisements

At this point, all I see from the Charlotte OWS antics are a handful of people that are trying their best not to quit because that is what is expected of them.

They were motivated to try to make a change, but they failed. That's what happens when you don't have a defined plan and set of goals.

Now the cold weather is here so they'll "tough it out" and say they're out there to stay. But, once the spotlight lifts, they'll run home and say they're moving their efforts in a more effective direction.

Funny how they claim to represent the 99%, but they can't even win interest in their fight from many of us that they supposedly represent. Like another poster said, I am bored with them too. Time to cutoff the waste of tax dollars spent to tend to these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
The facts bear it out - it's not a matter of reasonable opinion.

But let me ask you this then - if BOA were not doing well then why would the Occupiers target them as the "1%"?

You can't have it both ways.

Why are you not responding to my question, asking you to categorize the "1%"?
Where did you ever get the information that the protest was against bofa alone and targeted them solely? Perhaps that is where you are coming up short.

While here in our area bofa has been a large part of the target overall, it target picture is MUCH larger.

If you think for one minute that bofa was doing well before the whole entire debit fee issue, you are sadly mistaken. A quick google search will quickly remind you of all that they have been in straits over.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I can't answer that EXACTLY but there are links earlier in the thread that address these questions.
All of those links generally point to about a dozen different things different organizers want, many in contradiction to each other. Some are just simply "pie in the sky" demands.

I want cogent, well thought out, and meaningful desires... not something straight out of a fairy tale.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
The retail banking arm of BoA is a pittance in the big picture... They are as susceptible to a run as any "bank" because regulations require they keep only a small percentage of their deposits liquid.

Deposits are FDIC insured... so putting a run on the bank is ludicrous to think it "doesn't cost the tax payers" anything. We guarantee these deposits! and not only that, do some research on how many failed banks the FDIC takes over on a monthly basis - with OUR tax dollars. It's ugly.

The line has been completely blurred between Wall St and Gubmint - insert Tom Jefferson quote here. Going after BoA by pulling your money may not entirely have the impact you desire - although in this case it seemed to help because OTHER banks pulled the fees. If the cartel had stayed strong and every bank started charging these fees (as BoA had hoped they would), they'd probably have not pulled the fee. and at the end of the day, they're still chasing the additional revenue so this is far from over.

As for the protesters... "exit strategy"?! rofl - Some people just don't get it. and probably never will.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Where did you ever get the information that the protest was against bofa alone and targeted them solely? Perhaps that is where you are coming up short.

While here in our area bofa has been a large part of the target overall, it target picture is MUCH larger.

If you think for one minute that bofa was doing well before the whole entire debit fee issue, you are sadly mistaken. A quick google search will quickly remind you of all that they have been in straits over.
The entire thread is supposed to be devoted to Occupy Charlotte. That group has made it clear in writing that BOA is one of their targets. Perhaps Google isn't working in their tents.

My "Google" search showed that Forbes saw them as doing quite well in 2010. All banks struggled when the housing bubble burst but compared to others BOA weathered it.

-------------------------------

AGAIN - categorize the 1% as you see them. You have no problem telling another poster that his description of them was wrong but three times as least you avoid my question to you.

2 posts, read 2,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
But who packaged them up as AAA rated securities? Who knashed their teeth at the thought of obsene profits earned on the back of the middle and lower class?

There is plenty of blame to go around.
The people that packaged these as securities and sold them, even as they were betting against them, should go to prison and be stripped of their wealth. All of them. I am a conservative and I cannot believe more people haven't gone to jail for bringing the world economy to its knees.

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
BofA has been losing customers for a few years now, the debit cards were just the final straw. Grassroots movements like the Move Your Money Project and others, which are ideological forefathers of Occupy Wall Street, had a lot to do with helping people realize there were better options. So, I think that indirectly the OWS folks are having some impact.

The OWS message is as clear as any similar movement like the Tea Party - corporate welfare and corporate influence is too pervasive and corrodes the ability of the American middle class to sustain itself. Of course, this attracts some of the fringe that maybe isn't so articulate - just like the Tea Party attracted nuts with machine guns, this one attracts a few loonies with bongo drums.
I can appreciate what you are saying, COPED. And I love the way you have spun effective movements into the "ideological forefathers of OWS" - even tho I think that is pure hooey.

For one thing, if that were true . . . OWS would have a clear message and something actionable attached to it . . . neither of which is part of the movement.

And I would like to clarify a misconception that has run through this thread . . . the Tea Party had a very clear message and folks took action on it. The message? STOP THE SPENDING, CUT THE BUDGET, CUT THE NATIONAL DEBT. The action? Elect folks who will stop the spending, cut the budget and cut the national debt.

OWS folks may have all the right sentiments! I agree that GREED has ruined this country! But their message is fragmented and they have no action attached to the movement!

And that is just a shame - cause as we can clearly see - folks have shown they WILL TAKE ACTION. People closed bank accounts at BofA and opened accounts w/ community banks, credit unions and S&Ls.

OWS may make for some interesting vid clips . .. but all they are accomplishing is costing CHARMECK $107K so far.

If the other movements were the "ideological forefathers" of this baby . . . then this baby was brain damaged during birth. In fact, I question the paternity, lol. The DNA just ain't the same.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockatelly View Post
The people that packaged these as securities and sold them, even as they were betting against them, should go to prison and be stripped of their wealth. All of them. I am a conservative and I cannot believe more people haven't gone to jail for bringing the world economy to its knees.
^ ^ ^ AMEN. And again I say . . . AMEN!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
The entire thread is supposed to be devoted to Occupy Charlotte. That group has made it clear in writing that BOA is one of their targets. Perhaps Google isn't working in their tents.

My "Google" search showed that Forbes saw them as doing quite well in 2010. All banks struggled when the housing bubble burst but compared to others BOA weathered it.

-------------------------------

AGAIN - categorize the 1% as you see them. You have no problem telling another poster that his description of them was wrong but three times as least you avoid my question to you.
So you have missed the fact that there was just a little securities issue with bofa and countrywide? Just because Forbes rated them number 3, is truly irrelevant.

Did I not say that bofa was a target here in the area? Yes I did...but they are not the stand alone target, and perhaps you are missing that.

Where did I mention the 1% and what they are categorized them as? Or that I have mentioned them at all singly?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockatelly View Post
And the government officials behind Freddie and Fanny who propped up the bad loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte