U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
No ani, no re-statement...it is clear as to my thoughts on corporate america and those 1%'ers. And no links, why would I go search out my own comments.... LOL!!!
In all fairness, Kitty, I had asked you earlier in this thread to explain some of your "mysterious" references and you didn't do it - not that I could find. It looks rather obstructionist of you to refuse to clarify and yet continue to debate what the rest of us substantiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,611,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Nope. Internet debate etiquette dictates that the person or persons stating the case present the facts themselves.

I'd rather spend time finding my own proof to debunk your theories as opposed to seeking out the proof you use just to continue proving my point. Same result, double the work? Not really interested.
And what theory is that, being that there has not been discussion of any?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And what theory is that, being that there has not been discussion of any?
Once again, choosing to defect rather than answer what several of us have asked you.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Once again, choosing to defect rather than answer what several of us have asked you.

Facts can be rather elusive where opinions abound.

(I just made that up... feel free to use - or abuse - it. LOL)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Facts can be rather elusive where opinions abound.

(I just made that up... feel free to use - or abuse - it. LOL)
So I can quote you? That's original? No copyright infringement?

LOL. I like it. I really like it.

Although I could never hope to reach your oratorical elegance (or should I say - eloquence?) I might add . . .

When unsubstantiated allegations abound, elusiveness becomes pervasive.

Or something along those lines, lol.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Defect? LOL

I have made it more than clear as to my thoughts on those 1%'ers... now, now coy isn't becoming.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
In all fairness, Kitty, I had asked you earlier in this thread to explain some of your "mysterious" references and you didn't do it - not that I could find. It looks rather obstructionist of you to refuse to clarify and yet continue to debate what the rest of us substantiate.
You have not substantiated a thing, other than your opinion. And that is exactly what this whole entire movement and discussion appears to be about is simply opinion and relevance to one's situation.

Last edited by sundrop; 11-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,281,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
As much as many people want to think that the 1% are greedy scum, perhaps they should do some homework and look at who is in the 1% - which is (as of 2010) anyone with an AGI of $380k or more. Not saying that is not a comfortable salary, but many of those who belong to the 1% are just hard-working individuals who have earned a comfy living through effort, personal sacrifice and (maybe in some cases) a bit of luck - NOT mega-rich multimillionaires riding around in their yachts, rattling their jewelry at the homeless and causing countless jobs to disappear.
The 1 percent is a handy phrase. And wealth is highly concentrated - 40 to 45 percent of the nation's wealth. Of course, the real concentration of wealth is in the top .1 percent - and most of that is unearned income, capital gains and interest, earned mostly by those connected in some way to the financial industry. It's their toying with the economy, their buying of the political process, their outsourcing of employment, their privatization of gain and nationalization of risk that has brought our economy to its knees. They create net losses to the broader economy.

Of course, the well-payed high-to-middle managers, physicians, attorneys and others in the bottom half of the top one percent benefit from this, too. But they create value or the broader economy (sans a few industries). Then again, their position has been steadily improving, while the bottom 80 percent has been steadily declining, thanks in part to the economic policies of the top .1% that skew the tax burden onto earned income rather than unearned income.

Income disparity is growing and you'd be hard-pressed to find many people who would say that $380K a year is just a "comfortable" income. Frankly, it's the type of income that buys financial security pretty quickly. In 1983, the top 1 percent held 33% of the wealth and the bottom 80% held 19%. By 2007, the top 1 percent held 42%, the bottom 80% held 7%. Add to this the inflation in real terms of access to middle class jobs - college - and you've got a recipe for some serious upheaval.

But I don't think anyone who is being intellectually honest truly believes that hard work always equals a big payday. Luck, being born with a head start, inheritance, intelligence etc. always help. Talent and intelligence should be rewarded accordingly, but luck and timing ALWAYS play a role in any circumstance.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM

And I for one am pretty tired of hearing about these poor folks who, after they spend money on their second and third mortgages, private school tuition for their kids, insurance for their Mercedes, vacations, etc., only have $100K left over for spending money.

These are the luxuries that your income and privelege afford you. This is what you choose to spend your largess on. You prove the point of your privelege by making comments like these.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
The facts bear it out - it's not a matter of reasonable opinion.

But let me ask you this then - if BOA were not doing well then why would the Occupiers target them as the "1%"?

You can't have it both ways.

Why are you not responding to my question, asking you to categorize the "1%"?
Um, BofA lost billions in 2010. It's share price is an anemic $6 compared to something like $50 in 2007. If it has "done well," it's only in comparison to March 09 when the stock was at $2

Bank of America execs will be in the top 1%, the top .1% until the day they die regardless of how the company does. It is their policies that created this mess and they've figured out how to profit come boom, come crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or