U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Nice link. I really like Reuters. TY!
Yeah there is more commentary going on and the camera is more steady.
I was getting dizzy with the way they pan around so fast.

I like that Zucotti Park they was showing it a night and those white lines are lights real cool and the fall colors are nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yeah there is more commentary going on and the camera is more steady.
I was getting dizzy with the way they pan around so fast.

I like that Zucotti Park they was showing it a night and those white lines are lights real cool and the fall colors are nice too.
Yeah, some of the footage has been like a travelogue.

Is it just me? I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I see folks out in the streets in Manhattan and police presence to keep things from getting out of hand. Especially when I see it around Wall Street. All I can think of is those LE and FD men and women on 9/11 and how they were risking their lives to save citizens. Now, they are having to stand in the same place, to keep the order. I guess the occupy participants don't see the irony in that (maybe they were only small children on 9/11) but all I can think about is how we were all watching NYC on 9/11 - seeing folks running in the streets, chaos, police officers trying desperately to find the injured . . .

Still trying to find if there has been anything going on in Charlotte today. After BofA's announcement about the layoffs, I wondered if people were kinda bummed about protesting further, since we are all so worried about more job loss here in Charlotte.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM

763 posts, read 647,733 times
They first couple of days makes a point that people are not satisfied with Wall Street, Washington, etc. After that, the sympathy and understanding changes to an assumption that the people remaining are generally anarcists, homeless, or direlects that only want trouble or adverse attention. The initial empathy dwindles.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,691,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
They first couple of days makes a point that people are not satisfied with Wall Street, Washington, etc. After that, the sympathy and understanding changes to an assumption that the people remaining are generally anarcists, homeless, or direlects that only want trouble or adverse attention. The initial empathy dwindles.
I pretty much view them the same way as well!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,446,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I agree.

I wonder how long until all those tents are missing when the people come back.

I also wonder if a citizen of Charlotte could file for an eviction against the occupiers. Seems possible. Might be an interesting case to watch.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM

763 posts, read 647,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I agree.

I also wonder if a citizen of Charlotte could file for an eviction against the occupiers. Seems possible. Might be an interesting case to watch.
I will go with you to try.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,292,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I agree.

The case with Zucotti Park was that even though it's privately owned property there are certain agreements in place with the city. Part of those agreements was that the property is to be used for freedom of expression. That's why they were allowed back in, just with the restrictions of no tents or sleeping bags.

I had no idea something like that was built in until Tuesday. So if Charlotte's occupiers are on privately owned property that has these agreements in place with the city, there ain't much anyone can do. If it's city property, there's probably much less you can do.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM

22,019 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Protests against the Viet Nam War generally were either protests (a daily event) or sit-ins. They generally consisted of a lot of chanting of Hell, no, we won't go! Sometimes the chanting included Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh!, if the protestors were annoyed. The other staple was that the crowd would start singing Fixin' to Die Rag AKA the Fish Song.

The recorded song:

Country Joe & The Fish- Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag - YouTube

From Woodstock (Don't play this version within earshot of small children.):

Country Joe McDonald - "Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die" - YouTube

There was no question what the objective was.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,864,661 times
Seems to me they should be protesting in Washington rather than Wall Street. Washington made the laws that allows the corporations that they're angry at to do what they currently do. If I were in their position I would take advantage of the laws the government put in place to make myself rich as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM

564 posts, read 1,256,637 times
Point made your irritated. Now go home, better yourself, your children and your community. Stop wasting tax payer money to control and clean up after you. Maybe come back when you have a direction and some sort of logical solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or