Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Theme song for Occupy Charlotte, if Boomers were in charge of this movement - a song of "great social and political import."

JANIS JOPLIN Mercedes Benz (1970) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Theme song for Occupy Charlotte, if Boomers were in charge of this movement - a song of "great social and political import."

JANIS JOPLIN Mercedes Benz (1970) - YouTube
+5

God, that's great Ani.

I loved that song, & that is inspite of seeing her with Big Brother & the Holding Company as an opening act in Philly, at Irvine Auditorium at U of P. Irvine Auditorium was such a small venue that there was not a bad seat.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,796,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
Point made your irritated. Now go home, better yourself, your children and your community. Stop wasting tax payer money to control and clean up after you. Maybe come back when you have a direction and some sort of logical solution.
I tend to agree with that statement.

Occupy Charlotte doesn't seem to have too much support. I drove by the other day on the way to the courthouse and was a little surprised at how few tents were actually out there. And hardly a person to be seen. It seemed to me that this movement has really lost steam where there aren't any benefits to be had.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,464,619 times
OWS has full steam. Amazing steam actually.

The live streams yesterday were astounding to watch, for many different reasons.

Rolling Stone magazine has a good article on OWS and true to the point of where the movement is today. I don't have the link right now but it is easily found if interested.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

The live streams yesterday were astounding to watch, for many different reasons.

Rolling Stone magazine has a good article on OWS and true to the point of where the movement is today. I don't have the link right now but it is easily found if interested.
Matt Taibbi, contributing editor for Rolling Stone, is a long time advocate against Wall St corruption. His books and blog are always good reads when it comes to the subject.

I agree that the "steam" is very much alive and getting stronger - absolutely contrary to what people will read into the actual sit-ins being broken up and the arrests. More and more people are understanding that the fight is with the special interests who control the 2 party system - the ones that control these mouth pieces who you think have our best interests in mind. The more people think this fight is "in Washington" or "the White House", the more they fall prey to the corruption. When you have both parties in your pocket, it matters zero who they throw up to the podium. People are getting that slowly, but surely - and the OWS movement helps. Follow the money.

Matt Taibbi | Taibblog | Politics | Rolling Stone

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I agree they have made a real point that folks are disgusted.

They just haven't gotten a message out about what they are trying to accomplish, i.e . . . change laws, send folks to jail, etc.

If they are only trying to say "We are upset" - then they have accomplished that.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Matt Taibbi, contributing editor for Rolling Stone, is a long time advocate against Wall St corruption. His books and blog are always good reads when it comes to the subject.

I agree that the "steam" is very much alive and getting stronger - absolutely contrary to what people will read into the actual sit-ins being broken up and the arrests. More and more people are understanding that the fight is with the special interests who control the 2 party system - the ones that control these mouth pieces who you think have our best interests in mind. The more people think this fight is "in Washington" or "the White House", the more they fall prey to the corruption. When you have both parties in your pocket, it matters zero who they throw up to the podium. People are getting that slowly, but surely - and the OWS movement helps. Follow the money.

Matt Taibbi | Taibblog | Politics | Rolling Stone
If the message is so subtle as to take this many weeks and interpreters to define it, it ain't working.

They need to define their message and what they hope to accomplish, i.e., "War is Killing our Brothers" . . . "Get Out Now." There was no need for interpreters during the Viet Nam protests. The message was clear; and the desired action was stated.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,464,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If the message is so subtle as to take this many weeks and interpreters to define it, it ain't working.

They need to define their message and what they hope to accomplish, i.e., "War is Killing our Brothers" . . . "Get Out Now." There was no need for interpreters during the Viet Nam protests. The message was clear; and the desired action was stated.
The one thing that is happening is that people are talking! Was that the goal, yes I do believe that to be ONE of them. I do think that as it unfolds we will see more. They have peoples attention and I think it is great.

Not directed at anyone here...but I do find it disgusting is that JP Morgan has thrown millions at NYPD. And yet all can people can moan over is the protestors? Seriously! It is sickening.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,796,212 times
I wasn't talking about the Wall Street movement. I was talking about Charlotte, if the steam comments were in response to my post. The benefits I was referring to are the food and other stuff being handed out.

Ani, you're right about the message. If this is subtle, go ahead and tell us what the message is. I know people who were behind OWS in the beginning but have quickly turned away because of a lack of a consistent message. When all you see are idiots making unrealistic or outrageous demands, your movement will lose credibility and support unless someone steps up and speaks for the group. At this time there are either too many people or not enough people who speak FOR OWS as a whole. Who do you listen to?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The one thing that is happening is that people are talking! Was that the goal, yes I do believe that to be ONE of them. I do think that as it unfolds we will see more. They have peoples attention and I think it is great.

Not directed at anyone here...but I do find it disgusting is that JP Morgan has thrown millions at NYPD. And yet all can people can moan over is the protestors? Seriously! It is sickening.
Agree - they do have people's attention. Sadly, I think that MSM picks up the nutballs and fringers and so . . . what we end up seeing is a poor representation of what the movement is actually about.

I got a better idea by watching livestreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte