Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
52 pages just here in the Charlotte area forum alone......

People can not pick and choose what amendments they support based on what it may or may not cost taxpayers. The "de-bunking" people are trying to do across the board is actually quite funny.
To coin a word, you are being quite hyperbolic; no one is suggesting that the occupiers do not have the right to protest, assuming that they follow all applicable local laws and policies. What we are arguing is the effectiveness of those protests and whether or not the benefits of what they are trying to achieve (which we still don't specifically know) outweigh the costs to taxpayers.

Again, to be literary, they are jousting with windmills, and to boot, there is no exit strategy.

That is what is bothersome. The movement was bemusing in the beginning but now the welcome is wearing thin. Weeks later no one can specifically articulate EXACTLY what the protestors want, at least not without getting all "rainbows and unicorns" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
52 pages just here in the Charlotte area forum alone......

People can not pick and choose what amendments they support based on what it may or may not cost taxpayers. The "de-bunking" people are trying to do across the board is actually quite funny.
What the heck are you talking about - picking and choosing amendments?

The discussion is about how much the city of Charlotte is having to spend on city services b/c of a bunch of faux-activists tenting on public property.

I don't see how anyone can find wasted tax dollars as something funny, but I guess I don't have much of a sense of humor about taxes.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What the heck are you talking about - picking and choosing amendments?

The discussion is about how much the city of Charlotte is having to spend on city services b/c of a bunch of faux-activists tenting on public property.

I don't see how anyone can find wasted tax dollars as something funny, but I guess I don't have much of a sense of humor about taxes.
ani, seriously? LOL!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
ani, seriously? LOL!
I am sorry. Whatever you are trying to convey, you have lost me.

I am quite serious when I say I have no sense of humor about wasted tax money.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
So your taxes are going to a bunch of folks who are accomplishing NOTHING. Maybe you don't care about that, but I think most of us do! I would rather see $107K go to soup kitchens than police patrols and garbage clean up so people can sing kumbayah and hold hands in tents in downtown Charlotte.

Quote:
To add, as much as people want to think that all "occupiers" are scum, perhaps they should do some homework and they will find they are MANY all across this country just like themselves who are supporting this movement.

As much as many people want to think that the 1% are greedy scum, perhaps they should do some homework and look at who is in the 1% - which is (as of 2010) anyone with an AGI of $380k or more. Not saying that is not a comfortable salary, but many of those who belong to the 1% are just hard-working individuals who have earned a comfy living through effort, personal sacrifice and (maybe in some cases) a bit of luck - NOT mega-rich multimillionaires riding around in their yachts, rattling their jewelry at the homeless and causing countless jobs to disappear.

Quote:
Gotta give them credit though, at least they are doing something and not keyboard commandos.

But what are they really doing? Especially those who have been camped out 24/7 for weeks now? What are they "doing" for our communitiy?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

As much as many people want to think that the 1% are greedy scum, perhaps they should do some homework and look at who is in the 1% - which is (as of 2010) anyone with an AGI of $380k or more. Not saying that is not a comfortable salary, but many of those who belong to the 1% are just hard-working individuals who have earned a comfy living through effort, personal sacrifice and (maybe in some cases) a bit of luck - NOT mega-rich multimillionaires riding around in their yachts, rattling their jewelry at the homeless and causing countless jobs to disappear.

But what are they really doing? Especially those who have been camped out 24/7 for weeks now? What are they "doing" for our communitiy?

I do not agree with you on your take on the 1%...

Perhaps a cut of paste of the definition of protest.... a protest is not necessarily is meant to DO anything but yet bring attention to.

pro·test/prəˈtest/

Verb:Express an objection to what someone has said or done: "she paid, and he didn't protest".
Noun:A statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.
Synonyms:verb. object - remonstrate - deprecate
noun. remonstrance - objection - outcry

Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I do not agree with you on your take on the 1%...

Perhaps a cut of paste of the definition of protest.... a protest is not necessarily is meant to DO anything but yet bring attention to.

pro·test/prəˈtest/

Verb:Express an objection to what someone has said or done: "she paid, and he didn't protest".
Noun:A statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.
Synonyms:verb. object - remonstrate - deprecate
noun. remonstrance - objection - outcry
Cut and paste definition:

waste/wāst/

Verb:Use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose.

Also, to further validate that BOA's "woes" have nothing to do with "Occupiers":

Just released by WBT, AP, etc (emphasis is mine):

Bank of America has abandoned a plan to charge debit-card users a $5 monthly fee.
"We have listened to our customers very closely over the last few weeks, and recognize their concern with our proposed debit usage fee," co-Chief Operating Officer David Darnell said in a statement.

So how do you categorize the "1%"?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
I don't see why this is hard to understand. Bad publicity lasts but a moment. Losing customers? That matters. When you are in the $$$ business, $$$ matters - a lot, lol.
BofA has been losing customers for a few years now, the debit cards were just the final straw. Grassroots movements like the Move Your Money Project and others, which are ideological forefathers of Occupy Wall Street, had a lot to do with helping people realize there were better options. So, I think that indirectly the OWS folks are having some impact.

The OWS message is as clear as any similar movement like the Tea Party - corporate welfare and corporate influence is too pervasive and corrodes the ability of the American middle class to sustain itself. Of course, this attracts some of the fringe that maybe isn't so articulate - just like the Tea Party attracted nuts with machine guns, this one attracts a few loonies with bongo drums.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Cut and paste definition:

waste/wāst/

Verb:Use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose.

Also, to further validate that BOA's "woes" have nothing to do with "Occupiers":

Just released by WBT, AP, etc (emphasis is mine):

Bank of America has abandoned a plan to charge debit-card users a $5 monthly fee.
"We have listened to our customers very closely over the last few weeks, and recognize their concern with our proposed debit usage fee," co-Chief Operating Officer David Darnell said in a statement.

That is relevant....it is in the eye of the beholder as to what is a waste and what is not. What is important to you, is not necessarily what might be important to me. So that is not really a valid argument.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
BofA has been losing customers for a few years now, the debit cards were just the final straw. Grassroots movements like the Move Your Money Project and others, which are ideological forefathers of Occupy Wall Street, had a lot to do with helping people realize there were better options. So, I think that indirectly the OWS folks are having some impact.

The OWS message is as clear as any similar movement like the Tea Party - corporate welfare and corporate influence is too pervasive and corrodes the ability of the American middle class to sustain itself. Of course, this attracts some of the fringe that maybe isn't so articulate - just like the Tea Party attracted nuts with machine guns, this one attracts a few loonies with bongo drums.
The fact is that Forbes listed BOA the 2rd largest company in the world as late as 2010. While that fact alone probably drives some people crazy it also seems to invalidate the argument that they've been bleeding customers for a few years. As of that same time frame, BOA had over 57 million customer and businesses in its service field.

Again, one could argue the whole "too big to fail" with those facts but it seems as though BOA was doing pretty well until this ill-advised "Debit Card Charge" fiasco and not some grassroots movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte