Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,367 times

Advertisements

Metropolitan area delineations are based on whole counties. Counties qualify as central counties if they contain a significant area within a census defined urbanized area.

The Charlotte urbanized area includes Monroe, so Union County is a central county in addition to Mecklenburg County. Outlying counties qualify based on commuting to central counties. Anson County qualifies based primarily on commuting to Union County, not so much Mecklenburg County.

Although the Mooresville area has significant ties and commuting to Mecklenburg County, Statesville and the rest of Iredell County does not, so Iredell County as a whole doesn't qualify for the Charlotte metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Metropolitan area delineations are based on whole counties. Counties qualify as central counties if they contain a significant area within a census defined urbanized area.

The Charlotte urbanized area includes Monroe, so Union County is a central county in addition to Mecklenburg County. Outlying counties qualify based on commuting to central counties. Anson County qualifies based primarily on commuting to Union County, not so much Mecklenburg County.

Although the Mooresville area has significant ties and commuting to Mecklenburg County, Statesville and the rest of Iredell County does not, so Iredell County as a whole doesn't qualify for the Charlotte metro area.
That's it in a nutshell. The same goes for Cleveland County. Kings Mountain & Grover have a significant number of commuters to Gaston County & Charlotte, Shelby may have some commuters to Gaston County, but the rest of the county does not. Therefore Iredell & Cleveland Counties are in the CSA but not the MSA.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM

116 posts, read 216,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That's it in a nutshell. The same goes for Cleveland County. Kings Mountain & Grover have a significant number of commuters to Gaston County & Charlotte, Shelby may have some commuters to Gaston County, but the rest of the county does not. Therefore Iredell & Cleveland Counties are in the CSA but not the MSA.
The thing that confuses me though is that I would think there are enough commuters from Iredell into Mecklenburg or another metro county to qualify as part of the immediate MSA. Cleveland might be a stretch, but if Anson is qualified, it makes no sense to me, unless the numbers just weren't high enough yet, you have to remember that Southern Iredell is much more populated than Northern Iredell, and Mooresville just surpassed Statesville as the largest city in the county. I think it's a matter of time before Iredell is added. I'm sure Lincoln and maybe Lancaster will be soon too, as they border Mecklenburg and become more developed further out from Charlotte.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
The thing that confuses me though is that I would think there are enough commuters from Iredell into Mecklenburg or another metro county to qualify as part of the immediate MSA. Cleveland might be a stretch, but if Anson is qualified, it makes no sense to me, unless the numbers just weren't high enough yet, you have to remember that Southern Iredell is much more populated than Northern Iredell, and Mooresville just surpassed Statesville as the largest city in the county. I think it's a matter of time before Iredell is added. I'm sure Lincoln and maybe Lancaster will be soon too, as they border Mecklenburg and become more developed further out from Charlotte.
Maybe Iredell will go into the MSA this time, if not, they will most likely go in, next time.

There is no way that Cleveland will go in this time, in fact, it might be given to Greenville for 10 years, because of people in the western part of the county going to the BMW plant in Greer for work, but will probably just stay as it is. Lincoln, on the other hand, has a much lower population, so they might very well make the 25% commuter rate to go into the MSA this time.

Right now, Kings Mountain is concentrating on getting rateables in, but these rateables are very likely to attract other businesses which will be much better job producers. Gastonia is also looking for businesses to replace defunct mills. It may take another 2 - 5 years, but when both cities get back on an even keel, you'll also see a spike in population. Neither has been doing any significant annexation. Both cities are utility providers, so if they annex, they have to be prepared to provide city services. It's much more expensive for the utility providing cities to annex. In the case of Kings Mountain, that includes water. Kings Mountain sells water to Grover & Bessemer City.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Lancaster is in the CSA not the MSA looks like. But when you go to Ballantyne and cross right into Lancaster county feels like Charlotte is growing right into that county. If only they could annex into another state lol

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
As others have stated, Cleveland county is in the CSA and not the MSA. Although Shelby is pretty much joined at the hip with Gastonia.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM

40 posts, read 177,536 times
Shelby isn't joined to the hip by gastonia lol, it is just as far from Gaffney SC as it is from Gastonia NC.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
Shelby isn't joined to the hip by gastonia lol, it is just as far from Gaffney SC as it is from Gastonia NC.
I was puzzled about that, too. Kings Mountain sits between the 2.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
I mean Shelby is tied economically to Gastonia. Gastonia is the central city of the western portion of Charlotte metro. As southbound 295 knows I have family in that portion of gaston and Cleveland county and those areas are joined at the hip. I hope I explained my point.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I mean Shelby is tied economically to Gastonia. Gastonia is the central city of the western portion of Charlotte metro. As southbound 295 knows I have family in that portion of gaston and Cleveland county and those areas are joined at the hip. I hope I explained my point.
OK, now I get it. I think it's changing now, though. Based on companies that are coming in, so far, it looks like Kings Mountain & Gastonia will have more of a similarity & Shelby & Forest City will be more similar, economically. (Sort of similar to how Cleveland County was formed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte