U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 43,916 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to stay close to the Sedgefield neighborhood, but it still seems a little too expensive for us and the houses we can afford are very small (900-1100 sq.ft.). We found some houses in the Starmount neighborhood in our price range and a nice size (over 1,500 sq.ft.). Can anyone tell me how this neighborhood is? The house we like is right off of Archdale. Please give us an idea of this area. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

31 posts, read 63,386 times
My brother and sister-in-law had a house in that neighborhood. They lived there for about 2 years, and I think the only real problem they had was a drunk guy trying to break into their house (apparently he thought it was HIS house)...other then that, it seemed like a nice area. They were relocated due to work, so that is the only reason they left.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM

179 posts, read 334,988 times
I'd say about a 5 out of 10. I used to deliver pizza all the way from Pineville-Matthews Rd , up South Blvd to Starmount very late at night, and i didn't like it. To start with, driving on South Blvd is not fun or the safest roadd. Lots of people without drivers license drive down South Blvd, specially around Arrowood, Archdale, etc. Many houses look not taken care of, and it has this "we don't care" look. I don't know maybe I just don't like it, but i would never live there.

Crime rate for that area:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyRaine View Post
My husband and I want to stay close to the Sedgefield neighborhood, but it still seems a little too expensive for us and the houses we can afford are very small (900-1100 sq.ft.). We found some houses in the Starmount neighborhood in our price range and a nice size (over 1,500 sq.ft.). Can anyone tell me how this neighborhood is? The house we like is right off of Archdale. Please give us an idea of this area. Thanks!
I would be happy to send you a direct message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 AM

763 posts, read 613,880 times
I have friends there. Their neighborhood is pretty safe. They have had no problems. It is an older area probably circa 50s. It is convenient to many places including rail into town. Drive through the sections as they can change as the makeup of citizenry changes. I would drive around there at night and then make up my mind. Some good places in that part of town though. As someone before, I would give it a high 5 on a scale of 10.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM

3,775 posts, read 6,772,221 times
It doesn't score high on my desirability scale. I have no problem with "transitional" neighborhoods, but one sure-fire warning sign to me are oil stains on the street in front of every house. Plus, there is no way in and out except South Blvd... and that section of South stays pretty busy.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,058,236 times
Whats your price range? We have some houses in my neighborhood near there but we are closer to Park Rd. and a little farther from South Blvd. Its very nice and relatively cheap. Search around Park Rd. and Archadale.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM

763 posts, read 613,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It doesn't score high on my desirability scale. I have no problem with "transitional" neighborhoods, but one sure-fire warning sign to me are oil stains on the street in front of every house. Plus, there is no way in and out except South Blvd... and that section of South stays pretty busy.
Depending on where one lives, but getting there from Park Road via some neighborhood streets make it possible not to use South Boulevard. Nevertheless, South Boulevard is the main route and you are right, it stays busy.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM

385 posts, read 744,280 times
Will have lived there for 10 years this coming November. Have several properties in the area. My avg tenancy has been a little less than 4 years (so they must like living here). There are certainly some rundown houses as with any "close-in" neighborhood. There is crime too, but if you keep yr car locked and put away the GPS and Ipod you are usually good to go.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,073 times
I've lived here for 9 years. With close proximity to Southpark Malk, beautiful nature in my back yard, a greenway system , and the light rail within walking distance it's a real winner. There is a free public Language immersion school and this neighborhood is one of the few in the area that runs a bus to it. Lower crime than Dilworth and Balantyne. Look at the stats. 2015 Redfin hottest neighborhood in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte