Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
How can someone honestly pretend to be outraged about corporations paying their employees money, and never complain about the TRILLIONS of dollars of OUR MONEY that Congress wastes on pet projects and failing social programs?! The private companies are not the problem in this country! They don't waste your money unless you are a customer. You have the RIGHT to take your business elsewhere. However, the government forcefully takes a percentage of YOUR earned wages. You can not take your business elsewhere unless you want to move out of the country. THE PROBLEM IS IN WASHINGTON! Blame our elected officials for being in bed with corporations. We should hold politicians to a much higher standard than private corporate employees! Get a grip, stop blindly following the cheerleaders on the extreme sides of the political spectrum, and think for yourself. Wow the stupidity is unbelievable sometimes.
Maybe you should read your own post!

How can you "take it to Washington" when the special interests own everyone in office AND everyone running who has even the slightest chance of winning?

Answer that and then you can start a true rant.... otherwise you're chasing your tail just like they want you to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

How can you "take it to Washington" when the special interests own everyone in office AND everyone running who has even the slightest chance of winning?

Answer that and then you can start a true rant.... otherwise you're chasing your tail just like they want you to.
Here's the answer, and it's simple. If politicians believe (and we'll have to prove it) that we will vote them out of office if they cater to special interests and big donors they'll curb their behavior. Politicians are always in survival mode.

If you stop politicians from catering to donors, donors will stop trying to buy votes.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^^ Hey, I complain about the corporations and about Washington. There's enough blame for both, but since this thread is about corporations...

And I agree, the stupidity is unbelievable sometimes, e.g., how could a corporate board with any lick of sense approve multi-million dollar payouts to people who are being fired? That's pretty darn stupid in my book.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So is filing bankruptcy with some unscrupulous business owners - who essentially set up a company and milk it for all it is worth, engage in profit-taking, then leave vendors holding the bag for payments for goods and services that will never be reimbursed.

Doesn't make it right, just b/c some folks have figured out how to engage in nefarious business practices and get away with it.
Never said it was right but it sure seems like it really became an issue when the average joe starting doing what commercial real estate companies have done for years.

I don't think it's against the law though is it? I've read stories where they interview the company and they willingly said they stopped paying mortgages even when they had the capital because the bank wouldn't refinance.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^^ Hey, I complain about the corporations and about Washington. There's enough blame for both, but since this thread is about corporations...

And I agree, the stupidity is unbelievable sometimes, e.g., how could a corporate board with any lick of sense approve multi-million dollar payouts to people who are being fired? That's pretty darn stupid in my book.
I like Duke Energy's recent hike proposal. They gave the CEO a 25% raise and then say they need to raise our rates by $20 for development and technology..

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Lol maybe you should read my post! My point is well-made and thorough.

Quote:

After you re-read my post, did it show up? Let me say it again...HOLD THE ELECTED POLITICIANS ACCOUNTABLE FOR BEING "BOUGHT" BY CORPORATE INTERESTS. You get nowhere when you hold private employees' feet to the fire. Of course they are going to be greedy and sometimes corrupt! They are opportunists! That's why they are great businesspeople. We have the power to hold POLITICIANS accountable for their actions. Whether it is organizing and introducing legislation that limits the relationship between politician and corporation, or whatever...dancing around with signs and being outraged at corporations will get nothing accomplished. My point is the bulk of the engineered outrage is directed at the wrong entity. People who subscribe to this thinking are being led away from Washington, where the true problem exists. Nice way to divert attention of the sheep.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Never said it was right but it sure seems like it really became an issue when the average joe starting doing what commercial real estate companies have done for years.

I don't think it's against the law though is it? I've read stories where they interview the company and they willingly said they stopped paying mortgages even when they had the capital because the bank wouldn't refinance.
It is immoral and unethical. And I believe that is at the core of what we are talking about on this thread. It is immoral behavior, whether it is done within the letter of the law or not.

The discussions on personal responsibility we have had all come back to what is right and what is wrong. The anger folks have at "Wall Street" and "corporate America" stems from people in power choosing to do the expedient thing, the profitable thing, rather than the RIGHT THING.

It all comes down to ethics. I think that is what is missing in America - behavior (and decisions) based on what is RIGHT. That is basically what we are all upset about, isn't it? Isnt that at the root of all the contention?

Even if something is legal or some attorney somewhere has found a loophole that keeps the action from being illegal . . . isn't the fact that so many of our leaders and high earning execs are making decisions based on personal gain (GREED) rather than on the good of the whole exactly what the debate is all about?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I like Duke Energy's recent hike proposal. They gave the CEO a 25% raise and then say they need to raise our rates by $20 for development and technology..
<snicker>

I noticed that, too.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^ Bingo, Ani. Somewhere along the way we, as a society, have lost our basic sense of right vs. wrong. Sad.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 AM

123 posts, read 219,155 times
I'm not mad at bank of america. I am jelous of there execs. I need to find a job where I can screw up, cause a massive collapse of not only the industry but the whole system itself and break many laws and not only not be tried in court, but get a massive bonus for such behaviour.

I need a job like that. A job that rewards me for not taking a very serious matter serious at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte