Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM

237 posts, read 298,838 times

Advertisements

What would be your favorite day trip to the mountains? Besides grandfather mountain, what is a worthwhile park to drive to and some memorable stops or side visits and come back the same day to charlotte? planning on doing this friday and showcase the mountains to my guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Chimney Rock State Park - Chimney Rock Park | North Carolina hiking trails with incredible mountain views

Biltmore Estate - BILTMORE in Asheville, North Carolina, Americas Largest Home and More!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 AM

352 posts, read 518,631 times
We left the house last saturday at 8am (live below carowinds) drove to boone, stopped by Mast General Store and then grabbed lunch. We jumped on the parkway and made a few stops along the way....got off of the parkway in Asheville and drove home. We were home by 6:45. It was a total of 380 miles, but the drive on the parkway with the leaves was gorgeous and worth every bit of it.

Grandfather mountain is a great day trip, but if you hit boone, make sure you stop by both Mast General Stores.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:56 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
I like the Mast General Store too. In addition to Boone, they are also located in Valle Crucis, Waynesville, Asheville and Hendersonville.

Mast General Store - Since 1883

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Went to Chimney Rock two weekends ago as well as lake lure. This is only about 25 miles from Asheville and worth the stop there as well as the beatiful Lake Lure which is a few miles from Chimney Rock.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzvmcwmkxyw View Post
What would be your favorite day trip to the mountains? Besides grandfather mountain, what is a worthwhile park to drive to and some memorable stops or side visits and come back the same day to charlotte? planning on doing this friday and showcase the mountains to my guests.
Mt Mitchell, highest point on the east coast (and south of Canada).
I live around the Arboretum and this is about 110 mi or so from my driveway.
I took these pictures a few weeks ago.

Park Sign

View from restaurant table

Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
I would suggest a trip up hwy 321 to Blowing Rock. From there you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and see the Linn Cove Viaduct (worth getting out at the visitor center for) and then go to Grandfather Mountain (which is privately owned and will charge you an admission fee). At Grandfather you can see the "zoo" there, walk across the swinging bridge and take a short hike. Back on the parkway I would highly suggest you continue to head south to Linville Falls. After visiting the falls continue south on the Parkway to hwy 221 to exit the Parkway. Travel down 221 to Linville Caverns. After your visit to the caverns, 221 will take you to I40. From I40 you would travel east back to hwy 321 to head back to Charlotte. Leave home early so you don't miss a thing!! Have a great time

Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM

241 posts, read 891,876 times
If you go to Boone, you have to eat at the Cafe Portofino. Up that direction you can go to Linville Caverns and Linville Falls as well.

Okay, in typing this, I am now seeing that LovesMountains suggested Linville Falls, so, I second that. Dope! And Linville Caverns. I promise I wasn't copying.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions: we had a long day.I couldnt squeeze in more but will try in future trip to hit linville falls and caverns . ended up going to:

Mt Mitchell(this consumed the best part of the day from maybe 11 to 1)
Went to Mountain View restaurant (jct 70 and think it is blue ridge pkway)
Asheville (drove around downtown and ate at little mexican restaurant. others liked their food, i didnt like mine.so they skip the blacklisting for now)

Biltmore eState (went to visitor center but didnt go in, this was already 8 pm or so, we made up a little story to console ourselves feel like we had been inside)

Chimney rock (got there at 4 pm so we did the top of the rock and then walked to the falls in 2 hrs time.)

the closing of blue ridge east of mt mitchell but a dent on our time having to drive back down same way to i40. have lots of pictures . will try to post somewhere and give you a link soon.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 AM

I meant west of Mt Mitchell park for the closing of Blue Ridge Parkway.Can't go from Mt mitchell west to Asheville or from Asheville to Mt Mitchell park. Travellers have to take the roundabout way.There may be alternate routes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte