Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times

Advertisements

Coming from Arizona, which is a grid, and Texas which enjoys concrete and freeways, I find Charlotte to be a bit of a bear. The streets themselves are narrow, winding, and usually not enough lanes. I appreciate pretty center divides with the rest of them, but especially coming from up north, hitting downtown you have very few options. 85 or 77. Maybe Tryon if you want o fight it. Other options are single lane roads, other main roads are also single, even WT Harris a main artery for East/West is two lanes which a huge median. What happened to the nice 3 lane road that goes through the city and are main ateries. Then you have the names that change back and forth. UGH!.. Anyway.. I think this is one thing that has made being here a little uncomfortable in driving, its very much turn at the old church, stop at the tree that has the face of Elvis on it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Oh Geez.

You know, this place exploded in growth over a relatively short period of time and those arteries were already in place.

Streets change names in a lot of US cities. I travel A LOT and have learned that is the case. GPS is your friend.

Finally, it is a southern thing to give directions based on landmarks. Since I am not out west and cannot use the mountains as a way to find N, S, E and W, I personally appreciate these types of directions more down here.

Simple as that.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,465 times
It's ok to rant. It makes us feel better as humans.

Good Response KMWay - I'd take Harris anyday over some of the other roads.

We didn't have mapquest in 1999 when I moved to Charlotte and boy did I spend alot of time and gas lost. GPS is your friend, I don't have one, yet.
I know our cell phones have GPS now a days.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 109,692 times
Where is the tree with elvis on it???

My favorite directions are....

Turn right onto Providence from Providence at the GOLD MAN....

Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
At least y'all aren't in Marietta, GA where the directions all start with "The big chicken".

Seriously, most of the roads in cities like Charlotte were not designed for the amount of traffic they are handling. And unlike out west where straight lines are possible, back east, straight lines are a rarity. Most of Charlotte's roads were built 3-4 decades ago and are in serious need of updating. Liz

Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Coming from Arizona, which is a grid, and Texas which enjoys concrete and freeways, I find Charlotte to be a bit of a bear. The streets themselves are narrow, winding, and usually not enough lanes. I appreciate pretty center divides with the rest of them, but especially coming from up north, hitting downtown you have very few options. 85 or 77. Maybe Tryon if you want o fight it. Other options are single lane roads, other main roads are also single, even WT Harris a main artery for East/West is two lanes which a huge median. What happened to the nice 3 lane road that goes through the city and are main ateries. Then you have the names that change back and forth. UGH!.. Anyway.. I think this is one thing that has made being here a little uncomfortable in driving, its very much turn at the old church, stop at the tree that has the face of Elvis on it, etc.
What you need to try to understand is that Charlotte streets and roads were mostly laid out years ago to follow the natural topography of the area. We have a series of creeks and natural land formations that dictated where things went. We are not a city that was planned out on a grid because of that.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 AM

36 posts, read 137,105 times
Smile It's better than in Rhode Island....

Well, in Rhode Island, people tend to give directions based on things that are no longer THERE! Directions are likely to include bits like "turn left where the Almacs used to be". God help you if you haven't lived here your whole life!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacesetter View Post
Where is the tree with elvis on it???

My favorite directions are....

Turn right onto Providence from Providence at the GOLD MAN....
My fav. is go straight on Tyvola, stay straight on Fairview, stay straight on Sardis, stay straight on Rama, stay straight on Idlewide.

With out leaving the same road it changes 5 times

Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM

When I lived outside of Chicago, we actually had a famous Tree that was a primary spot for directions, in addition to the angry old lady. (She was famous for a few off the wall things).

I am not ignorant to the fact the Charlotte was laid out to match certain aspects of the environment, most cities are, except Tampa which may be worse. Phoenix does have a few mountains right in the middle of the road, so they stop or try and, go around. We didn't have much issue with Rivers though. I dont buy the "we expanded too quickly" excuse. Many newer cities actually have the benefit of planning. Per my post, I believe my concerns where the lack of expansions of roads from 1 lane to 2 or 2 to 3. Landscaping is nice and all, but at this point, I would prefer to see smaller medians and a few more well constructed lanes. There is the space, its time to take the next step. I think Charlotte made a good step recently with the new laws restriction couldesacs and the ilk, but I would mind seeing a few roads improved. Yes, some roads are stuck being what they are. I read a report not long ago, the Charlotte was actually complaining about lack of road funds, because Raleigh was getting most of them... hmm the Capital hording Transportation funds.. Unthinkable. Eh.. I know its nothing that can solved here.. Its not a problem of getting lost even, but getting stuck on a one lane "artery" because of a stalled vehicle is a little annoying.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 08-23-2007 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNYRI View Post
Well, in Rhode Island, people tend to give directions based on things that are no longer THERE! Directions are likely to include bits like "turn left where the Almacs used to be". God help you if you haven't lived here your whole life!
When I was in RI, I got that too.. They obviously didn't see I was in a Rental Car.. and I said.. um.. where who used to be what and how? RI is an interesting city (ya I know)... Walking there felt like Vegas.. No one stops for stop signs there.. While in Vegas they just push up through the crowds.. In essence, walk at your own risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte