U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Your parents seem like my parents. I see several issues here.

1. Why in god's name are they paying list price? Is there a bidding war on the house (prob not). Have they negotiated? Are They using a buyer's agent? Do they not want to negotatiate? Give some more background please.

2. If there is a problem w/the A/C , they'd be FOOLISH not to demand to have it fixed, OR take $$ off the price of the house so they can repair it.

This sounds like they don't either want to be bothered w/the negotiations, or have a lousy realtor, or something else.....

First of all, this is her grandparents, not her parents. Secondly, she did not ask for our opinions about anything other than the HVAC concern. Whether you think her grandparents are foolish are not, they are adults entitled to make their own choices, which Sara seems to respect. Just because they are older does not mean they should be treated as incompetent. Sara doesn't owe us any more "background" information - she was blowing off steam and looking for support. And as she stated, there is no known problem with the HVAC, just some concern by the inspector that it should be checked out - it could be perfectly fine (though I'd want to know for sure before I closed too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
she mentioned they were paying list price, did you read that?

Hey, my intentions were to save here grandparents $$. Sometimes you have to hear the blatant truth to open your eyes.

So many people are either afraid or think its too much trouble to negotiate or make a stink and doing that, they are throwing money away...

I'm just trying to help and be honest, if you don't like it, too bad

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
she mentioned they were paying list price, did you read that?

Hey, my intentions were to save here grandparents $$. Sometimes you have to hear the blatant truth to open your eyes.

So many people are either afraid or think its too much trouble to negotiate or make a stink and doing that, they are throwing money away...

I'm just trying to help and be honest, if you don't like it, too bad
Apparently Sara's eyes ARE wide open, she is the one concerned that they are paying too much. What makes you think you have the right to "open her eyes" - really your ego is astounding. Your attempts at honesty were just plain rude. If you have an HVAC person to recommend THAT would be helpful.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
LM- cool your jets. This situation is similar to what I went through and just wanted to vent to her in a way.

Its amazing, my parents would drive to the other side of town to save a few pennies on filling up their gas tank, but would not negotiate on something big like this...I don't get it

Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 AM

622 posts, read 1,583,536 times
Sara,

We closed on our home in February and the inspector couldn't adequately test the air conditioning due to the outside temperature. When we went to use the upstairs unit, it wouldn't cool. When we called for service (under a home warranty), it was discovered that the upstairs air handler had a leak. I was lucky to have the seller-paid home warranty to cover the issue ($70 service call). Without the warranty, my out-of-pocket would have been $3,250. As far as the pre-existing exclusion, there is no record with the warranty company from the home inspection. The company who did the work was American Air and I highly recommend them.

As a side note, there is a Federal regulation regarding replacing older units if there are no parts available to repair them. You must convert to a SEERS 13 system and this requires a complete installation of a new system. When I asked the service man how much this would cost me, The answer was around $15,000. My current units are 25 years old. It makes sense to me to renew my home warranty every year ($400 per year). This is like putting money in the bank as I am sure I will need the complete overhaul at some time. Say I need it 10 years from now, I would still save $11,000.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,570 times
Quote:
Your parents seem like my parents. I see several issues here.

1. Why in god's name are they paying list price? Is there a bidding war on the house (prob not). Have they negotiated? Are They using a buyer's agent? Do they not want to negotatiate? Give some more background please.

2. If there is a problem w/the A/C , they'd be FOOLISH not to demand to have it fixed, OR take $$ off the price of the house so they can repair it.

This sounds like they don't either want to be bothered w/the negotiations, or have a lousy realtor, or something else.....
Thanks for the concern!

1. They really, really want this specific home and while I was not happy with their decision to pay list price, I won't be living there. There were two other offers made on the home, which I believe was listed for a little more than a week. My grandparents do have a Realtor, who explained that she thought the house was a bit overpriced, gave her reasons but as you know, they are entitled to proceed as they see fit. I am happy for them. They contend this will be their last residence and aside from the current A/C issue (which may not be an issue), the home is in perfect shape, conveniently located to their favorite grandchild (me) and near the lovely downtown area of Waxhaw, where my 74-year-old grandmother, an avid 7-mile a day walker is eager to explore.

2. I never gave any indication that they would not properly address the issue of any repair issue with the A/C. We have discussed their options. They are eager but not idiotic, and neither am I. But we're jumping the gun a bit. Right now I have no proof that there is, in fact, something wrong.

They have an OK Realtor and an awesome granddaughter helping them through this process.

I posted on the forum because I wanted to vent, and I was looking for HVAC referrals.

Sara

Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Sara,

We closed on our home in February and the inspector couldn't adequately test the air conditioning due to the outside temperature. When we went to use the upstairs unit, it wouldn't cool. When we called for service (under a home warranty), it was discovered that the upstairs air handler had a leak. I was lucky to have the seller-paid home warranty to cover the issue ($70 service call). Without the warranty, my out-of-pocket would have been $3,250. As far as the pre-existing exclusion, there is no record with the warranty company from the home inspection. The company who did the work was American Air and I highly recommend them.

As a side note, there is a Federal regulation regarding replacing older units if there are no parts available to repair them. You must convert to a SEERS 13 system and this requires a complete installation of a new system. When I asked the service man how much this would cost me, The answer was around $15,000. My current units are 25 years old. It makes sense to me to renew my home warranty every year ($400 per year). This is like putting money in the bank as I am sure I will need the complete overhaul at some time. Say I need it 10 years from now, I would still save $11,000.
Thanks for the story. Confirmation that we should renew our home warranty!

Sara

Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't know if Morris Jenkins goes out that way - but I've had excellent service from them - they seem to really know their stuff. Good luck Sara!
Morris Jenkins is on the job! (Well, not literally.) But I scheduled with them, will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the referral. It's $89.95 for the diagnostic and safety check. Peace of Mind: Priceless.

As suggested by another poster, I also tried American Air and I simply could not get through to them! The phone rang for the longest time then I got some kind of recording that kept looping ... can only listen to that for so long!

Sara

Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Maybe someone will find this tidbit helpful. MJ called back and asked for further clarification on the "issue." Gave explanation and they claim that "any A/C unit operating within 20 degrees of the outside temperatures during this extreme weather is functioning as it should." In other words, if it's 103 outside, and 83 inside with A/C running, they don't generally consider that problematic.

They advised we have a safety check for $59.95, as opposed to the diagnostic and saftey check. According to the rep, their technician will advise if he finds any problems, but this should be sufficient. I can't present them with a "problem" to diagnose so to speak.

The appt is Aug 30. I'll report back, of course.

Sara

Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,234 times
I'm an HVAC technician. I am going to give you a few things that you may want to look at before hiring a service man. Okay look at the filter in the air handler (furnace), and see if it is clogged. If so, change it. Another thing is to check all of the duct work, if accessible, and see if there are any rips, separations, or crushed duct. Sometimes re-routing can fix the problem.
Moderator cut: soliciting . Good luck.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-30-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte