Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,068,255 times

Advertisements

Grandparents went under contract on a 5-year-old home in Waxhaw a few weeks back. Closing is Sept. 14.

Inspection went very well. However, inspector commented that he thought A/C should be serviced because it did not cool home as much as he would have liked. He added that he thought it was unlikely that anything was wrong with it, day's temps were like 103 and of course he had to raise temp in home to check heating, etc. But just to be on safe side ...

Per recommendation, grandparents requested that sellers get service person out to home. Realtor called me today to inform me they declined. Honestly, I was surprised. My grandmother is emotional and unnaturally considerate of other people at all times so she is taken aback by the seller's selfishness. (Her perspective. Clearly, I understand they are not obligated.)

I replied, fine, we'll get someone out to take a look but it does feel like a hard line approach to me. Grandparents are paying list price on a house that Realtor admitted was a bit overpriced (still annoyed that grandparents did this), sellers won't spring to have the A/C serviced? I'm guessing the price tag has to be less than $100.

It brought me back to our homebuying experience (shared here, what, almost a year ago?) when we fell in love with a house and the sellers absolutely refused to negotiate on any repairs or the price of home and we were devastated. Although admittedly this is different because this house really did inspect beautifully. I think I just always assumed this process was a series of negotiations and usually involved some give on both sides.

Just looking to vent, share our experience, open to others opinions and, heck, a referral to an HVAC company while we're at it.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,447,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Grandparents went under contract on a 5-year-old home in Waxhaw a few weeks back. Closing is Sept. 14.

Inspection went very well. However, inspector commented that he thought A/C should be serviced because it did not cool home as much as he would have liked. He added that he thought it was unlikely that anything was wrong with it, day's temps were like 103 and of course he had to raise temp in home to check heating, etc. But just to be on safe side ...

Per recommendation, grandparents requested that sellers get service person out to home. Realtor called me today to inform me they declined. Honestly, I was surprised. My grandmother is emotional and unnaturally considerate of other people at all times so she is taken aback by the seller's selfishness. (Her perspective. Clearly, I understand they are not obligated.)

I replied, fine, we'll get someone out to take a look but it does feel like a hard line approach to me. Grandparents are paying list price on a house that Realtor admitted was a bit overpriced (still annoyed that grandparents did this), sellers won't spring to have the A/C serviced? I'm guessing the price tag has to be less than $100.

It brought me back to our homebuying experience (shared here, what, almost a year ago?) when we fell in love with a house and the sellers absolutely refused to negotiate on any repairs or the price of home and we were devastated. Although admittedly this is different because this house really did inspect beautifully. I think I just always assumed this process was a series of negotiations and usually involved some give on both sides.

Just looking to vent, share our experience, open to others opinions and, heck, a referral to an HVAC company while we're at it.

Sara

Sara, this would tick me off too. Though of course the sellers have the right to say no, since they are getting their purchase price they should do this for you - especially since it was recommended by the inspector because of a potential problem. This is what I would do, call their realtor back and tell her fine, but now you want the sellers to offer a home warranty in case the air conditioner breaks right after closing so that you can then have it replaced. Wasn't your grandparents offer contingent on the inspection anyway?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM

We once sold a home in Mint Hill that was not that old, but to sweeten the deal for a buyer we offered a one year home warranty. Well, no joke, the day after the closing the air conditioner went kaput. The prior inspection had showed no problem with it at all! I would have felt terrible for our buyer if the first day she owned the home she would have been out the cost of a whole new unit!!! You spend enough money just getting into a new home - you shouldn't have to spend money on this kind of thing too.

Maybe if the sellers of the home your grandparents are buying knew they might walk away because of this, they would do the right thing and get the air conditioner looked at. Sounds to me like maybe they suspect there might be a problem and they don't want to be stuck paying for it - they'd rather stick your grandparents.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sara, this would tick me off too. Though of course the sellers have the right to say no, since they are getting their purchase price they should do this for you - especially since it was recommended by the inspector because of a potential problem. This is what I would do, call their realtor back and tell her fine, but now you want the sellers to offer a home warranty in case the air conditioner breaks right after closing so that you can then have it replaced. Wasn't your grandparents offer contingent on the inspection anyway?
I was hesitant to give my grandmother my opinion because I wondered if I were being too emotional (something I accuse her of all the time!) about the whole thing.

I should have added (sorry) that they are getting a home warranty.

The contract has a contingency clause but repairs would have to be in excess of $5K to walk away with no fault. Also, remember, I don't recall how it's worded exactly (although I do have the report on my computer) but the inspector didn't say the A/C unit is deficient, more like just advised it would be good to have it checked. What he said to me was that since the home was at the 5-year point, it was simply better to be on the safe side so he would note his concern.

Sara

Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We once sold a home in Mint Hill that was not that old, but to sweeten the deal for a buyer we offered a one year home warranty. Well, no joke, the day after the closing the air conditioner went kaput. The prior inspection had showed no problem with it at all! I would have felt terrible for our buyer if the first day she owned the home she would have been out the cost of a whole new unit!!! You spend enough money just getting into a new home - you shouldn't have to spend money on this kind of thing too.

Maybe if the sellers of the home your grandparents are buying knew they might walk away because of this, they would do the right thing and get the air conditioner looked at. Sounds to me like maybe they suspect there might be a problem and they don't want to be stuck paying for it - they'd rather stick your grandparents.
Actually, my grandparent's Realtor called with her speech about how she was sure it was no big deal, reminding how hot that day had been, etc. All the while my brain is going, "Whatever, Lady." Then she surprised me and said, "Well, not to upset you or anything but I did close on a home just last week where the inspector didn't note any concern with the A/C and well, it died the day after closing."

Of course, being the suspicious individual that I am, I immediately got concerned that the sellers are being jerks because they KNOW (or suspect) something is genuinely wrong with the A/C. We found out this summer that ours has a leak in it after more than week of it simply not cooling the house as much as we thought it should.

Of course, we'll get someone out there ASAP and I told my grandmother should something be uncovered, the sellers will, of course, then decide that they want to get someone out to take a look at it!

Even with the home warranty, who wants the hassle or even the potential uncovered expense so we're not taking the risk.

Sara

Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 PM

C'mon, anyone want to give me a referral? Someone I can call in the morning?

The Realtor said she could suggest someone but I'm simply not comfortable with her recommendation for now.

Thanks!

Sara

Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
C'mon, anyone want to give me a referral? Someone I can call in the morning?

The Realtor said she could suggest someone but I'm simply not comfortable with her recommendation for now.

Thanks!

Sara
I don't know if Morris Jenkins goes out that way - but I've had excellent service from them - they seem to really know their stuff. Good luck Sara!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,752,598 times
The HVAC stuff is tricky. A home inspector is not a licensed HVAC contractor.

Also, almost every HVAC company charges at least $90-100 just to drive out there. By the time they disassemble a few items to find out if there is a potential problem you have a few more bucks involved.

However, I agree with you that they should have been a little more flexible and at the least had the system checked out for your mother's piece of mind. Just something on paper that says its operating at the norm.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,670,992 times
Your parents seem like my parents. I see several issues here.

1. Why in god's name are they paying list price? Is there a bidding war on the house (prob not). Have they negotiated? Are They using a buyer's agent? Do they not want to negotatiate? Give some more background please.

2. If there is a problem w/the A/C , they'd be FOOLISH not to demand to have it fixed, OR take $$ off the price of the house so they can repair it.

This sounds like they don't either want to be bothered w/the negotiations, or have a lousy realtor, or something else.....

Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 AM

67 posts, read 300,445 times
Sara, we just closed on our house last month and inspector also reported the same issue-" Temperature drop test failed for 2nd floor ac unit, recommending service". Sellers sealed the air leaks etc using the company who installed it and now it is fine. Check if the units are still under warranty. I am not sure but Home owners warranty does not cover any pre-existing defects. Please check the agreement. Also I am sure, your contract should have a clause to back off incase sellers refuse to do repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte