U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM

34 posts, read 50,074 times

Advertisements

I'm a first-time race attendee & I would love to hear some advice, tips, tricks or whatever on attending this event. Tickets are purchased & I live locally. I have hearing protection & not sure what else to bring.

Throw me out some words of wisdom besides "Abandon hope, all ye who enter!"

TIA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,490,509 times
Consider renting a scanner or two for your group. They can be very entertaining and you'll know a lot more about what's going on that if you don't have one.

It's a long race. Pace yourself if you drink, know that it will take you a while to hit the bathroom.

Traffic is terrible when you're coming and going, so schedule accordingly.

Don't bring a lot of stuff with you. I see people at races that look like they're hiking across the country, based on how much crap they're dragging around.

Go early so you can people watch, if you're into that. There is an endless supply on interesting things to see. Wander down souvenir row.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM

799 posts, read 1,588,705 times
any tips on PARKING especially if you have older folks in toe with bad knees and back? My hubby and in laws are going and he isn't quite sure where to park. The tickets are in the non smoking FORD section.

They are bringing a small bag cooler with drinks and will be getting a scanner so that is taken care of.... we can either come from up 85 Gastonia or come south down 77 from Statesville since we live in Hickory.

I think they plan to eat lunch in Hickory and then drive over early afternoon.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM

1,969 posts, read 2,965,056 times
Make sure to try the Bacakonator!!

Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 AM

635 posts, read 951,631 times
I attended the BOA 500 in 2010. At that time both my knees were worn out. I could scarecly walk. I have since had them both replaced.

When we parked, it was halfway round the track from our seats. I asked a parking marshall for some help and withing 3 minites a gasoline powered golf cart appeared and took me and my son right to the entrance to our grandstand. The same thing happened in reverse on the way out in spite of all the crowds leaving. I was seriously impressed.

It cost me a couple of bucks to each volunteer driver. Well worth it, imo.

If you take drinks carriers in, they must be small enough to fit under your seat so as not to block access for other fans. A soft drinks carrier seems best.

Ear protection is essential - seriously.

The rent video scanners too. We did not do that because I had an audio scanner. We ended up using our earplugs AND the isolating headphones due to the noise.

The noise and specatcle of all those cars at the start was truly amazing. Enjoy the race.

Traffic was not too bad either on the way in or going home. On the way out there were loads of State Troopers looking very mean and professional but, when we asked one for directions he was suoer helpful and nice. All in all, my BOA 500 experience was really enjoyable.

Last edited by krokus; 10-15-2011 at 02:42 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 05:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,832,159 times
Go Trevor!!!!! My advice, watch at home!! One of these days I might attend one of the shorter races.. I think the All Star race would be ideal. 500 is sooooo long!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,490,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLjungberg View Post
I'm a first-time race attendee & I would love to hear some advice, tips, tricks or whatever on attending this event. Tickets are purchased & I live locally. I have hearing protection & not sure what else to bring.

Throw me out some words of wisdom besides "Abandon hope, all ye who enter!"

TIA!

How was it?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM

34 posts, read 50,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How was it?

I enjoyed the race itself. The traffic wasn't too bad but the parking (or lack thereof) was horrendous. The food was lousy & over-priced. The fans were great though! I am glad we brought hearing protection, just watching it on the tv doesn't give you a real sense of how LOUD those dang cars are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte