U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Since this thread has somehow devolved into Charlotte vs Raleigh thread (with a side of Charlotte chest thumping) which they always seem to do. I just thought of an apt comparison.

Charlotte is like Bill Gates/Microsoft. A powerful,successful, influential man/company that does not always get the respect he/it deserves and is actively despised by a segment of the population. Though a vast majority people don't think of Microsoft at all though it's technology is integral to the lives of just about everyone today. Raleigh is like Steve Jobs/Apple. Influential and powerful in it's own right, but arrogant as well. Also it's products, though great, are overpriced and overhyped and it's innovations overstated. More flash and design than substance. Also Steve Jobs/Apple have their fanboys that do the overselling (i.e. Forbes magazine and the like for Raleigh).



I never mentioned Raleigh in my previous post, only East NC. Though I guess if you live in Charlotte everything east of thiere could be considered that, but I was legitimately referencing eastern nc and the quality of their roads and why. I did reference Charlotte and points West view on points east of I85 in regards to infrastructure, which that they all have great roads and infrastructure while they are ignored.
Did you not state the following? "Not to hold Raleigh faultless, the improvements along US 264/64 and the "super 70 corridor" all seemed designed to make a smooth trip to the beach" or did the message board fairy put it there.

And for the record, the Macintosh (Mouse, Pointer, etc) technology was well ahead of it's time and Bill Gates/Microsoft basically cc'd every graphic user interface aspect of the Mac (and called it Windows..,...which was garbage for years). As a former Network Admin in the early 90s, the Mac and Appletalk were light years ahead of DOS and Microsoft. If Jobs had remained at Apple, Microsoft would not be the powerbroker it is today....get it right.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 10-19-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not taking it as an insult, but I'm also not sure that he was making the same parallels you're making (the Triad, Fayetteville, New Bern, etc. would be more than "a little bit" of Kentucky; Biloxi and the Outer Banks aren't comparable just because they are both coastal)--unless I misunderstood what he was getting at in its entirety. But in the larger scheme of things, I've heard it implied on more than one occasion that outside of Charlotte and the Triangle, NC doesn't have much to offer which just isn't true. I'm not saying that's what urbancharlotte was saying, but I'm just speaking in general.

I think without Charlotte and the Triangle, NC would be more like SC or Alabama--definitely down a couple of notches in terms of population and economic influence, but more or less average Southern states with their well-known warts (especially politically) but redeeming aspects and growing populations.
Actually, Louisville is quite urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Why are you taking that as an insult? That comparison is pretty much spot on.....biloxi = outer banks, asheville = mountains of WV, greensboro/fayettville/New Bern/etc = Kentucky.....everything pretty much cancels each other out.
I'm inclined to agree. Taking Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte out of NC you would lose roughly 4 million people. Still having the triad,fayetteville, Wilmington, and asheville. It would be similar to Kentucky and probably look like our neighbor in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Did you not state the following? "Not to hold Raleigh faultless, the improvements along US 264/64 and the "super 70 corridor" all seemed designed to make a smooth trip to the beach" or did the message board fairy put it there.

And for the record, the Macintosh (Mouse, Pointer, etc) technology was well ahead of it's time and Bill Gates/Microsoft basically cc'd every graphic user interface aspect of the Mac (and called it Windows..,...which was garbage for years). As a former Network Admin in the early 90s, the Mac and Appletalk were light years ahead of DOS and Microsoft. If Jobs had remained at Apple, Microsoft would not be the powerbroker it is today....get it right.
I was speaking of the politicians, not the city or it"s roads. The beaches are in Eastern NC, you know. Though, those roads have segments in Raleigh, when I'm speaking of 64/264 I'm talking about the portion east of Rocky Mount and Greenville respectively. As far as 70 I'm talking about this:

SUPER70CORRIDOR.COM

Heck, I avoid 70 in the city of Raleigh, like the plague.

Here's another project that"s pointless:
NC 11 "extension" feasibility study


Also, no comparison is absolute and once again you're doing straw man arguments. Trying to oppose what I say with things that are irrelevant to my point. I kknow that stuff about apple, my first computer was an Apple IIE. I'm not talking about the 90s, I'm talking about now. Also I had a more detailed comparison that clearly stated that the comparison was not absolute but it was lost when I accidentally forwarded the window while typing, so what's presented was basically the cliffs note version. So I'm sorry if my thoughts weren't clear in the previous posts, whihc is why I'm clarifying now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Stankwell Falls, NC
56 posts, read 30,625 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And for the record, the Macintosh (Mouse, Pointer, etc) technology was well ahead of it's time and Bill Gates/Microsoft basically cc'd every graphic user interface aspect of the Mac
Apple copied the Xerox Parc workstation GUI from the early 80s. They didn't invent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,627,054 times
Reputation: 1440
Coming from the far northeastern corner of the state Charlotte might as well not exist. I'm sure I'm dating myself here but a lot of us see Charlotte as a place of empty suits and televangelists, given the town's most famous residents in the 80s. Something us simple country folk want no part of.

Also, if Charlotte is Microsoft and Raleigh is Apple, does that make the triad Linux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman area
763 posts, read 644,384 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
. I'm sure I'm dating myself here but a lot of us see Charlotte as a place of empty suits and televangelists, given the town's most famous residents in the 80s. Something us simple country folk want no part of.

Also, if Charlotte is Microsoft and Raleigh is Apple, does that make the triad Linux?
Yep, looks like y'all could use some road funding to connect to the outside world. What is a "empty suit?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,627,054 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
What is a "empty suit?"
Here ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,658 posts, read 1,851,584 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I was speaking of the politicians, not the city or it"s roads. The beaches are in Eastern NC, you know. Though, those roads have segments in Raleigh, when I'm speaking of 64/264 I'm talking about the portion east of Rocky Mount and Greenville respectively. As far as 70 I'm talking about this:

SUPER70CORRIDOR.COM

Heck, I avoid 70 in the city of Raleigh, like the plague.

Here's another project that"s pointless:
NC 11 "extension" feasibility study


Also, no comparison is absolute and once again you're doing straw man arguments. Trying to oppose what I say with things that are irrelevant to my point. I kknow that stuff about apple, my first computer was an Apple IIE. I'm not talking about the 90s, I'm talking about now. Also I had a more detailed comparison that clearly stated that the comparison was not absolute but it was lost when I accidentally forwarded the window while typing, so what's presented was basically the cliffs note version. So I'm sorry if my thoughts weren't clear in the previous posts, whihc is why I'm clarifying now.
I'll agree with you that the 64/264 upgrading was a huge waste of money for any area east of Greenville and east of Rocky Mt. Also on the potential NC 11 expansion.

The super 70 corridor however, I feel is necessary. Once you leave Clayton, it's frustrating on US 70 with all the traffic lights. Also many of the areas on the current highway are unsafe. All of the local driveways that feed onto the highway are very dangerous. I see this one as way more justified than the 64/264 expansion since US 70 actual carries a significant amount of traffic from Raleigh all the way to the beach, whereas 64 and 264 are sparsely used east of Greenville/Rocky Mt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I was speaking of the politicians, not the city or it"s roads. The beaches are in Eastern NC, you know. Though, those roads have segments in Raleigh, when I'm speaking of 64/264 I'm talking about the portion east of Rocky Mount and Greenville respectively. As far as 70 I'm talking about this:

SUPER70CORRIDOR.COM

Heck, I avoid 70 in the city of Raleigh, like the plague.

Here's another project that"s pointless:
NC 11 "extension" feasibility study


Also, no comparison is absolute and once again you're doing straw man arguments. Trying to oppose what I say with things that are irrelevant to my point. I kknow that stuff about apple, my first computer was an Apple IIE. I'm not talking about the 90s, I'm talking about now. Also I had a more detailed comparison that clearly stated that the comparison was not absolute but it was lost when I accidentally forwarded the window while typing, so what's presented was basically the cliffs note version. So I'm sorry if my thoughts weren't clear in the previous posts, whihc is why I'm clarifying now.
Yes, hwy 70 in Raleigh and Capital Blvd are creations of 80s sprawl. Ok, that comparison stuff is giving me a headache...ok, I get it...I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top