U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,400,263 times

Advertisements

My issue here is that a person with 40 arrests in not behind bars. It is almost like a free pass. I just read in today's paper about a guy from Lincolnton that killed his girlfriend, another repeat offender. Whether it is at a mall or elsewhere, these guys need to be behind bars, not preying on the public.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM

11,794 posts, read 9,391,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not trying to pick on you, Felt, but why on earth would you want to minimize and/or justify the behavior? I don't care WHERE it is going on - it is unacceptable.

So why are you fluffing this off as if it is to be accepted?

I am very puzzled about your attitude. Is it because you were exposed to so much of it in Detroit that you think cities are naturally places w/ thugs and high crime? And nothing can be done about it except hope you won't be the next victim?

I don't intend to be mean spirited here . . . I just don't understand your casual attitude about crime and the criminal element we have in this region. No wonder the court system keeps letting these idiots back out on the street - they must feel as you do - that this is just a part of life and we should all accept that some folks are menaces to society.
I never lived in Detroit. Crime happens... I can't stop it but I won't let it stop me. I'm just trying to put this crime in perspective when people talk about North Lake Mall being crime central or a thugs paradise.

IMO this was an isolated incident between 2 people who knew each other.

If I gave crime in Charlotte or crime in America power over my peace of mind I would never make it out the house.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Sadly, you are probably right. If the average citizen stops patronizing NL mall (or any mall!) - then that is the worst thing that can happen . . . that leaves the whole place open to the thugs and low-life types. So I hope that is not what will happen.

However, it is double edged sword, b/c people can't help but wonder why these thugs are not doing their shoot outs in their own neighborhoods rather than bringing it to a mall. And if it starts looking like a trend - then people really do worry about how high risk the area might be since gangstas from surrounding areas have decided to make NL mall their meeting ground.

It isn't as tho this is an isolated incident and I think that is what is making people wonder why the thugs have chosen to hang out at NL mall.
How is it not an isolated incident? Wouldn't you need more shootings for this to be a trend?

Maybe more "thugs" are hanging out at NL but if you google crime for NL and crime for Southpark it's not even close. Maybe they hang out at NL but way more crimes are committed at Southpark. It would be a shame for NL to lose foot traffic over perception while Southpark thrives with much more actual violent crimes.

That seems odd to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How is it not an isolated incident? Wouldn't you need more shootings for this to be a trend?

Maybe more "thugs" are hanging out at NL but if you google crime for NL and crime for Southpark it's not even close. Maybe they hang out at NL but way more crimes are committed at Southpark. It would be a shame for NL to lose foot traffic over perception while Southpark thrives with much more actual violent crimes.

That seems odd to me.
It all goes back to what several of us were saying earlier (and your contention, as well) . . . perception.

As far as I know, there has not been a shoot out in a parking lot at SP Mall. That is a pretty dramatic event, so that is what sticks in people's minds. There may be many more robberies, car thefts, muggers (whatever) at SP Mall than NL Mall, but a shooting is what gets the attention.

Also, to compare crime, one would have to compare foot traffic at each mall and look at it from a % of patrons vs incidents to have a real picture as to "safety" at either/both mall.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It all goes back to what several of us were saying earlier (and your contention, as well) . . . perception.

As far as I know, there has not been a shoot out in a parking lot at SP Mall. That is a pretty dramatic event, so that is what sticks in people's minds. There may be many more robberies, car thefts, muggers (whatever) at SP Mall than NL Mall, but a shooting is what gets the attention.

Also, to compare crime, one would have to compare foot traffic at each mall and look at it from a % of patrons vs incidents to have a real picture as to "safety" at either/both mall.
An armored truck guard was shot at SP recently...

$20K reward offered in armored car robbery, shooting | www.wsoctv.com

Store set on fire at SouthPark Mall, report says | Crime | South Park News

Six cars, one belonging to cop, broken into at SouthPark Mall | Crime | South Park News

Cars ransacked outside hotel at SouthPark Mall | Crime | South Park News

Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Okay. A list of crime.

Not one of them includes two thugs having a shoot out in the mall parking lot. The armored car robbery was in the SP mall area, NOT at SP mall.

As I said, it is the dramatic event that sticks in people's minds. Plus, the fact that the thugs were repeat offenders who should not even be mingling with polite society.

Please understand, I am not trying to make a case that either mall is safer or worse than the other as far as crime. I am simply stating that a shoot out IN A MALL PARKING LOT tends to make folks nervous and gives them a negative impression about the patrons of the mall.

I rarely go to ANY mall. I like to patronize small business owners.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,751,956 times
You didn't really answer Felt's question though re: it being an isolated incident. Have there been any other shootings at Northlake?

If not, and if the numbers of violent crimes are lower at Northlake than at Southpark (I don't know if they are), then "perception" is just a PC word for racism.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You didn't really answer Felt's question though re: it being an isolated incident. Have there been any other shootings at Northlake?

If not, and if the numbers of violent crimes are lower at Northlake than at Southpark (I don't know if they are), then "perception" is just a PC word for racism.
Well, maybe that is YOUR "PC word for racism" but please don't count me in on your little analysis.

I didn't know I needed to answer a question on Felt's post . . . ????? The perception created by ONE SHOOTING is evidently enough to give people pause cause folks have posted that sentiment right here on this forum.

I go to NL mall if I am in the vicinity and need something. I plainly stated I don't spend much time in ANY mall and I am not trying to promote one mall over the other, either. It matters not at all to me where people shop. And I certainly never stated that I was going to stop going to NL mall b/c of this shooting! In fact, I relayed that for people to stop going there would be a shame.

The only other shooting I know about at NL mall was gang related and I don't remember the specifics. But I feel sure you can google it.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 PM

5,896 posts, read 7,751,956 times
Quote:
Well, maybe that is YOUR "PC word for racism" but please don't count me in on your little analysis.

I didn't know I needed to answer a question on Felt's post . . . ????? The perception created by ONE SHOOTING is evidently enough to give people pause cause folks have posted that sentiment right here on this forum.

First you said this:
Quote:

It isn't as tho this is an isolated incident.

To which Felt responded by asking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How is it not an isolated incident?

Which is when you started talking more about perception and when I said you didn't really answer the question. But as far as I know, it WAS an isolated incident. Yes, even though the suspect and victim probably knew each other, there is always the risk of bystanders getting hurt as well. But bystanders going to the bank where the armored car guard was shot (and yes I know it wasn't actually in the mall) have the same risk. Honestly, that crime is a little scarier to me, since it takes a lot more cajones to shoot an armored car guard than it does to shoot someone who's been arrested 20 times.

Last edited by GoPhils; 02-13-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I go to NL mall if I am in the vicinity and need something. I plainly stated I don't spend much time in ANY mall and I am not trying to promote one mall over the other, either. It matters not at all to me where people shop. And I certainly never stated that I was going to stop going to NL mall b/c of this shooting! In fact, I relayed that for people to stop going there would be a shame.

The only other shooting I know about at NL mall was gang related and I don't remember the specifics. But I feel sure you can google it.
My whole point for posting on this and pointing out it that it isn't a trend is the same reason as the sentence you wrote that I highlighted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or