U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM

625 posts, read 205,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
Why do Black people get the label of Violent,Uneducated,Uncivilized,and druggies. when Study after study suggest otherwise. White people are just as violent if not more, their education on the same economic level is as a whole around the same most likely somewhat higher because they make up of most the middle and higher class. and also there are plenty of studies that say white people are far more likely to do hard drugs and even more likely to smoke weed. But somehow Black people we get the bad wrap. I dont understand it.
You mean either "bad rep", "bad rap" or "bum rap". I don't know why blacks would be getting the bad sandwich all the time.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:30 PM

436 posts, read 336,491 times
[quote=NJCoqui;41532976]You mean either "bad rep", "bad rap" or "bum rap". I don't know why blacks would be getting the bad sandwich all the time.

Maybe a gyro (called a wrap)? Maybe Greeks are passing out leftovers?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM

8,805 posts, read 7,970,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
Why do Black people get the label of Violent,Uneducated,Uncivilized,and druggies. when Study after study suggest otherwise. White people are just as violent if not more, their education on the same economic level is as a whole around the same most likely somewhat higher because they make up of most the middle and higher class. and also there are plenty of studies that say white people are far more likely to do hard drugs and even more likely to smoke weed. But somehow Black people we get the bad wrap. I dont understand it.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

That should give you an idea as to "why".

Now, I feel the crime stats are more a product of class/wealth than of race, but I think that explains why some people think the way you describe above.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM

Crime in Mecklenburg county is "not" a thing of wealth. There are plenty of drive-bys and shootings in nice neighborhoods in north Charlotte. The socio-economic thing is bunk. The Chinese in Chinatown (San Francisco) were the most impoverished people in the U.S. before WWII yet for a whole decade, there were two murders and hardly any crime what- so-ever. It is all in the way a person is brought up, i.e. leadership from parents, preachers, teachers, and others that should be roll models. The demographics of crime are realities and not numbers simply used to make anyone seem worse than others. They are what they are. Fact is, everyone that wants an education has it available and if one choses the status quo, it is a personal choice. If one wants better, they can get better. IT IS ABOUT PARENTING.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,151,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Ahh, yes. Stereotyping. A true staple. Dismiss a real experience and chalk it up to (whatever you'd like).

I suppose your "plenty" of trips, without incident, complete your thorough study of the Northlake Mall. Fear not, Big Aristotle has cleared Northlake for your visiting pleasure.

Northlake Mall: Big Aristoltle- approved.
Lol, never had a problem there or any mall. It's a bunch of girls...lol, give me a break. Actually I find it hilarious.....this trumped-up fear. Maybe ask for a hug or MAN up and state that we were next in line!! Oh, grow a pair folks.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,221 times
Have you really spent time there? I'm from the area. There is a serious gang issue along with organized crime in the Chinese and South East Asian communities in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Crime in Mecklenburg county is "not" a thing of wealth. There are plenty of drive-bys and shootings in nice neighborhoods in north Charlotte. The socio-economic thing is bunk. The Chinese in Chinatown (San Francisco) were the most impoverished people in the U.S. before WWII yet for a whole decade, there were two murders and hardly any crime what- so-ever. It is all in the way a person is brought up, i.e. leadership from parents, preachers, teachers, and others that should be roll models. The demographics of crime are realities and not numbers simply used to make anyone seem worse than others. They are what they are. Fact is, everyone that wants an education has it available and if one choses the status quo, it is a personal choice. If one wants better, they can get better. IT IS ABOUT PARENTING.

Last edited by baybook; 10-13-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, never had a problem there or any mall. It's a bunch of girls...lol, give me a break. Actually I find it hilarious.....this trumped-up fear. Maybe ask for a hug or MAN up and state that we were next in line!! Oh, grow a pair folks.
I can assure you that if it were you, I wouldn't have avoided the situation like the educated southern gentleman that I was raised to be. But. again, I was dealing with a female hood with her high gang of friends looking for trouble. I hadn't had problems until this. I am not a guy that one would pick out to mess with unless high or with back up. The situation just tells one that when you are at that place, anything can happen. Can you comprehend any of this? Grow a pair? LOL!! At least I can see mine Big Aristotle. Again, you can't visualize this situation so your spouting is nonsensical.

P.S. Why would I say that "we were next in line" when I was alone. And, the hug was not a thought. I am pretty sure she stunk.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,151,777 times
Quote:
I can assure you that if it were you, I wouldn't have avoided the situation like the educated southern gentleman that I was raised to be. But. again, I was dealing with a female hood with her high gang of friends looking for trouble. I hadn't had problems until this. I am not a guy that one would pick out to mess with unless high or with back up. The situation just tells one that when you are at that place, anything can happen. Can you comprehend any of this? Grow a pair? LOL!! At least I can see mine Big Aristotle. Again, you can't visualize this situation so your spouting is nonsensical.
It's ok, you got punked by some girls at the mall. Prob should a just kept that "story" in the mental vault tough guy...lol. Oh, I can visualize it...

Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM

8,805 posts, read 7,970,103 times
Quote:
...There are plenty of drive-bys and shootings in nice neighborhoods in north Charlotte...
Not sure if serious...

Quote:
The socio-economic thing is bunk. The Chinese in Chinatown (San Francisco) were the most impoverished people in the U.S. before WWII yet for a whole decade, there were two murders and hardly any crime what- so-ever...
Cool story. I didn't say socio-economics were the ONLY factor, I said they were a bigger factor than race, if the two are analyzed completely on their own.

Quote:
It is all in the way a person is brought up, i.e. leadership from parents, preachers, teachers, and others that should be roll models. The demographics of crime are realities and not numbers simply used to make anyone seem worse than others. They are what they are. Fact is, everyone that wants an education has it available and if one choses the status quo, it is a personal choice. If one wants better, they can get better. IT IS ABOUT PARENTING.
I would agree that parenting/upbringing is a bigger factor than either race or socio-economic status, but I was trying to avoid that rabbit hole, as that's a much bigger/longer discussion for a different thread.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM

5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Isn't that pretty much what he did? As was discussed earlier in the thread, there are rude teenagers at pretty much every mall in the area. But I don't get why anyone would actually defend their actions by calling the person it happened to a wimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or