U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM

436 posts, read 336,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not sure if serious...

Cool story. I didn't say socio-economics were the ONLY factor, I said they were a bigger factor than race, if the two are analyzed completely on their own.

I would agree that parenting/upbringing is a bigger factor than either race or socio-economic status, but I was trying to avoid that rabbit hole, as that's a much bigger/longer discussion for a different thread.
Sorry, I was actually referring to the posting by jacquainics (or however spelled) where he blamed socio-economics. The story about Chinatown in SF was absolutely right. And, the Chinese were still legally discriminated against at the time even after all other races had rights. They were an inspiration.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:56 PM

10,359 posts, read 20,653,826 times
Yep.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:54 AM

128 posts, read 202,666 times
Let's not forget Eastland Mall, Freedom Mall and Midtown Mall. What did these malls have in common? Can't blame the economy. While these mall were being held hostage by certain groups Southpark Mall was expanding and thriving as it is today. Unless Charlotte admits to it's gang problem and starts to clean it up then Northlake Mall is heading in the same direction Eastland Mall did.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:21 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,750,004 times
Obviously yesterdays situation at Northlake is not good, but SouthPark is not immune to shootings either:
CMPD: 1 shot near Southpark Mall after altercation | www.wsoctv.com

Old 12-25-2015, 05:52 AM

50 posts, read 43,376 times
For a small, suburban city, Charlotte's crime is out of control!

I hope you all had a great Hanukah!

Old 12-25-2015, 06:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,862,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
For a small, suburban city, Charlotte's crime is out of control!

I hope you all had a great Hanukah!
Suburban to what city exactly? Do you actually know what a suburb is?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:42 AM

50 posts, read 43,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Suburban to what city exactly? Do you actually know what a suburb is?
Have you never noticed that the overwhelming majority of is suburban? Do you care consider Meyers Park, South Park, Ballantine, Ardrey, etc to be urban? If so, you've never been to a real city.

In fact, Uptown seems less like a tiny Boston or San Francisco than a slightly larger version of White Plains, NY or Stamford, Ct, two suburbs of NYC.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:53 AM

48 posts, read 59,307 times
Well well. Just read my original post for this thread. North Lake mall, and all around it, is just yet another area in Charlotte gone downhill. Sorry Charlotte.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:54 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
Have you never noticed that the overwhelming majority of is suburban? Do you care consider Meyers Park, South Park, Ballantine, Ardrey, etc to be urban? If so, you've never been to a real city.

In fact, Uptown seems less like a tiny Boston or San Francisco than a slightly larger version of White Plains, NY or Stamford, Ct, two suburbs of NYC.
Of course, most of us have lived in a "real" city, but like you, we prefer Charlotte.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTraffic View Post
Well well. Just read my original post for this thread. North Lake mall, and all around it, is just yet another area in Charlotte gone downhill. Sorry Charlotte.
Oh please, this can happen anytime anywhere, movie theatre, etc....we live in a world of guns. I'm not afraid of the so-called "gangs" or criminals whose intent is to shoot each other, so be it, although sad. I'm more afraid of the nuts that are just out to randomly shoot anybody for no apparent reason whatsoever. Or have some so-called distorted agenda or cause. Hell, this can happen anywhere and it does.

People are afraid of the wrong people for the wrong reasons, thus any shift in a demographic promotes fear for no reason other than these people don't look like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or