U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,549 times

Advertisements

Why Bother??? You can't reason with people when they don't want to look at their own biases? They'd rather go on labeling everyone, even people like Johnathon Ferrell a thug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
This is the expected response especially when the truth smacks people in the face. White people don't see white crime as a crime but a symptom or condition that is fixable. They don't seem to know any "criminals" but undoubtedly know what one looks like, especially those images shown on the nightly news.

North Lake Mall or any place with a high concentration of black folks scares the hell out of 'em, even if the Mall was full of black middle to higher income patrons. The first reaction is to call it "ghetto" or full of "thugs" to justify why they no longer shop there or patron the mall. Any incident that occurs reinforces that mindset and call for a change.

The joke of the matter is being afraid of people who aren't going to harm you. It would require a mental paradigm shift that most people can't handle, so they instead stick with the preferred reality of choice and labeling "those" people as the thugs and criminals is so much more acceptable and easier to mentally manage. Yet, stats tell you that white people are much more of a danger to white people and black people are much more of a danger to black people.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 AM

436 posts, read 336,491 times
[quote=Big Aristotle;42489100]White people don't see white crime as a crime but a symptom or condition that is fixable. They don't seem to know any "criminals" but undoubtedly know what one looks like, especially those images shown on the nightly news.

Yes, we have a problem. We see so little of it that our neighborhoods are completely safe for anyone to transit at any time in Mecklenburg County. We see white crime (mostly domestic) on the news, but WOW!
it is incredible how much black crime exists. Where do they all come from? The news isn't simply made up. It is real.

North Lake Mall or any place with a high concentration of black folks scares the hell out of 'em, even if the Mall was full of black middle to higher income patrons.

Who is "em?" People are not scared as you elude, we just prefer to be around people with whom we can communicate and have things in common. We have no issues with blacks that behave and work or as you refer, "middle to higher income" patrons. They are not the problem. We are uncomfortable around punks that hang out around malls. I would probably be more irritated if the punks were white, as you seem to assume, we don't accept violent "ghetto" behavior and do not sympathize or tolerate it from our own.

The first reaction is to call it "ghetto" or full of "thugs" to justify why they no longer shop there or patron the mall. Any incident that occurs reinforces that mindset and call for a change.

What do you call it? Since it seems to be a matter of semantics, give me a better term.

Yet, stats tell you that white people are much more of a danger to white people and black people are much more of a danger to black people.[/quotient \

From the Department of Justice reports on Race and Violent Crime: "Blacks committed an average of 560,600 violent crimes against whites, whereas whites committed 99,403 such crimes against whites. This means blacks wer the attackers in 84.9 percent of the violent crimes involving blacks and whites.
A black is 27 times more likely to attack a white and 8 times more likely to attack a Hispanic than the other way around. In summary. when whites commit violence they choose fellow whites as victims 83% of the time, and almost never attack blacks. Blacks attack whites amost as often as they attack blacks.

Remember that of all the crime in the U.S.by numbers, blacks only make up 13 percent of the overall population. And, when the FBI and other government agencies form their crime statistic reports, they put Hispanics in the "White" category distorting the true picture of white crime.

The reason that I am posting these actual figures is to show you that non-blacks are not hysteric cowards that avoid blacks for some stereotypical reason. They simply don't want to be uncomfortable, pure and simple. And yes, there are plenty of bad whites, but we don't accept them or show them sympathy. I love good people from all races. I associate with those with whom I feel comfortable.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM

21,985 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Why Bother??? You can't reason with people when they don't want to look at their own biases? They'd rather go on labeling everyone, even people like Johnathon Ferrell a thug.
Explain to me when charging at police becomes a good idea, regardless of your skin color.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,612,357 times
Quote:

Seriously? Labeling? Perhaps YOU need to see past skin color and look at the guy's criminal history. Take into account he was in a mall, a crowded mall, illegally carrying a firearm and then pointed it not only a LEO but prior to that another person. When you can come to grip with facts, then and only then can you even begin honest conversation. Stop being blinded by skin color.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM

27 posts, read 31,608 times
IMHO- color has nothing to do with it, thugs do, and currently I live in a very lily white community, and we have plenty of crime here. I agree is usually economic rather than race issue, as being in economic strife causes incredible stress and from stress comes some very poor life choices.

No one should shoot anyone, especially a child. No one should have a gun that has any sort of history of psych or criminal nature. I realize there is no way to enforce it, and I say this as my husband is on his way to the range to shoot....

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 PM

21,985 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think the mindset is irreversible at this point, that is the fear. Any larger than normal concentration of black folk creates a remarkable amount of stress for a lot of people, especially those people unaccustomed to these types of environments and will do anything to portray such a gathering as thug-ghetto setting. Even if that environment is free of incident and said "thugs" are dressed in khakis and golf shirts.

They've come to believe that random shootings in malls, movie theatres, etc. are more acceptable than frequenting a mall with high concentration of black folks. This false sense of security and warped reality is their form of a mental gated community or state of mind. They've come to believe that the word "thug" is applicable to one of set of people and crimes committed by those of similar ilk is due to a temporary mental lapse or poor judgment. So, it doesn't really exist, a figment of one's imagination or surely a medical condition that can be remedied through a series of treatments. So, the legal system bends over backwards and minimizes applicable punishment to keep the jail cells fresh for what a real criminal and "thug" looks like.
This might be the most bigoted post in this thread.

I'm white. Before moving here I shopped at malls & stores that ranged from ~30% nonwhite to about 30% white. Which one I went to depended on what I was looking for. I don't care what colors other shoppers are.

I don't use the term thug. It's not in my vocabulary. I'm used to the criminal element being called hoods. I know what they look like no matter what their race is. They don't look like middle class shoppers. They don't look or act like lower class shoppers, either. Shooting guns in a mall or store, busy or not, is not acceptable behavior. I don't give a rat's patoot which skin color is involved.

Aiming a gun at a police officer or a security guard is as good as asking to be shot. I didn't see any of the black people who were shopping at Northlake mall bemoaning that a shooter was shot. Does that make them racist?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM

436 posts, read 336,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annikak View Post
IMHO- color has nothing to do with it, thugs do, and currently I live in a very lily white community, and we have plenty of crime here. I agree is usually economic rather than race issue, as being in economic strife causes incredible stress and from stress comes some very poor life choices.

Street crime comes from lack of intelligence, motivation, poor parenting, poor educational performance, no goals, and above all simple laziness. This has nothing to do with economics. It is a choice. Granted, one's choices may be influenced by deviant low lives, and that is a problem. As an example, my wife grew up in poverty and without inside plumbing until she was in the 7th grade. What her family ate was either shot or caught in the lake. Despite this, they never looked at themselves as poor or needy. She went on to earn academic scholarships through college and was the runner-up for Junior Executive of the Year in whole state of Minnesota when in her 30s. Economic strife is just words to cover up for being uninspired. My dad was a poor immigrant that had to quit school and support his family as a caddy and bagboy instead of getting an education. Nevertheless, hard work made him end up as a successful businessman. It is 2016, discrimination and the old excuses don't get it any more. If you don't believe economics is not a legitimate excuse, ask Vietnamese, Korean, Mexican, Indian, and other people that have succeeded despite prejudices and "economic strife." Everybody in the world has had ancestor that have experienced hate and prejudice. Using that as an excuse only extends economic strife.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,549 times
Johnathon Ferrel had no criminal history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Seriously? Labeling? Perhaps YOU need to see past skin color and look at the guy's criminal history. Take into account he was in a mall, a crowded mall, illegally carrying a firearm and then pointed it not only a LEO but prior to that another person. When you can come to grip with facts, then and only then can you even begin honest conversation. Stop being blinded by skin color.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,054,231 times
Quote:
Jonathan Ferrel. Was a nice young man by all accounts. To even mention the two situations in the same sentence is offensive!!!!

The person who the officer shot was a POS!!!

Good for thought. My wife's friend has a daughter who was in the mall during the shooting. A 5 year old who had to hide with her mother. Who was in fear for her life! That has nightmares and can't sleep and now is afraid to sleep alone! Maybe some thought should be given to the real victims!!!!!

Not the pos who started the trouble.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,612,357 times
Quote:
Oh stop it, this isn't about Ferrell and you know it. But since YOU brought it up, he too was told to stop advancing towards an officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or