U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,056,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Oh stop it, this isn't about Ferrell and you know it. But since YOU brought it up, he too was told to stop advancing towards an officer.
Well if you had a head trauma,you might not be able to comply either. Let's not be foolish now!

Mr Ferrell was %100 innocent!!!! This other person was %100 guilty. That's kinda the point!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:51 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Well if you had a head trauma,you might not be able to comply either. Let's not be foolish now!

Mr Ferrell was %100 innocent!!!! This other person was %100 guilty. That's kinda the point!
The Ferrell case was unfortunate, but as I said in that thread, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, etc. If you charge at police you'd better have your hands in the air showing open palms & yelling help. If not, you're going to be shot.

The mall case is cut & dry. Anyone who thinks that there is any correlation between the Ferrell case & the mall case has a perception problem. The hoodlum in the mall had a gun & shot it in a mall. Then he pointed the gun at the guard/police. Regardless of race, gender, religion, ethnicity, etc. that's going to get you shot. The perp's parents were interviewed & they tried to blame the security guard/officer. They said that the guard should have asked him to put down the weapon.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:02 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,034,525 times
The roots of the problem are clear (when one doesn't play games with his honesty),The methods of addressing them less so. The necessary societal will towards action has been made to atrophy.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 AM

436 posts, read 336,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
T The perp's parents were interviewed & they tried to blame the security guard/officer. They said that the guard should have asked him to put down the weapon.
Sure, and the "perp" should have asked the security officer if he was in the wrong for pointing a pistol at him. I wonder when will the demand, by the mother, for a multi million dollar pay-off occur?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM

22,015 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Sure, and the "perp" should have asked the security officer if he was in the wrong for pointing a pistol at him. I wonder when will the demand, by the mother, for a multi million dollar pay-off occur?
I think that that statement was testing the water. I saw that interview on WSOC.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that that statement was testing the water. I saw that interview on WSOC.
They have found a new and easier way to make money. Funny how lives matter only after a killing and dollar signs appear. Just to add to a earlier posting by someone that blames behavior on economics and poverty, the reality is that criminals and thugs create bad neighborhoods and poverty. Poverty doesn't create criminals and thugs.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:58 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
They have found a new and easier way to make money. Funny how lives matter only after a killing and dollar signs appear. Just to add to a earlier posting by someone that blames behavior on economics and poverty, the reality is that criminals and thugs create bad neighborhoods and poverty. Poverty doesn't create criminals and thugs.
I beg to differ. People resort to criminal activity in the face of diminished opportunities to support themselves and their families legally. That's why in America, a lot of urban crime in particular is tied to drugs.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,864,260 times
Quote:
I'd have to totally disagree with that. The cause of crime is a massively complex socioeconomic issue that can't be explained simply by "X" vs "Y".Not even just in America, in just about any area of poverty in the world there is an elevated level of crime relative to more prosperous areas. People aren't naturally born criminals or turn to crime just because. Your statement would be true if everyone were born into the same circumstances, raised in the same neighborhood, same economic conditions, etc.

With a perceived lower chance at success in life, people in poverty are more likely to turn to crime in attempt to escape their perpetual feeling of hopelessness, usually in the form of drug dealing. Ever notice that most of the inner city crime is drug related? It's certainly not because poor people are the only ones who like using drugs. I'm not certain of the actual statistics but I'd venture to say that minus drug related crimes, America's inner cities would have crime rates similar to most other parts of the cities.

Overall it just speaks volumes to the massive failure of American politicians to properly control and regulate drugs in this country. You remove the product that the dealers are selling then what do they do? Clearly our current laws have failed to do anything over the past 40+ years except crowd our prisons and burden taxpayers with taking care of these people. But that's a whole different conversation for another day.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I beg to differ. People resort to criminal activity in the face of diminished opportunities to support themselves and their families legally. That's why in America, a lot of urban crime in particular is tied to drugs.

Yep, that is what the left wing, liberal college instructors are teaching them these days. Funny that impoverished parts of European countries don't have our crime rates. It all stems from the culture. How do so many in the bad areas escape and become successful? It is up to the individual and how much encouragement they get from significant others. If these significant others are uninspired or lazy, they will stay there. If they are inspirational and loving, they will motivate. I'm not talking as an outsider that knows nothing about poverty, I'm talking as one with sociology classroom theories, I'm speaking as one that had parents that experienced poverty as immigrants without government assistance.

When you say, "diminished opportunities to support themselves and their families legally," you are talking about a situation that happens at any economic level.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Yep, that is what the left wing, liberal college instructors are teaching them these days. Funny that impoverished parts of European countries don't have our crime rates. It all stems from the culture.
Are you sure about impoverished parts of European countries not having our crime rates? Because Eastern European countries in particular are notoriously bad in terms of crime, much of it being organized crime. But one reason why crime rates, particularly violent crime rates, in the U.S. are so high is because of the availability of guns. We worship them, something that's unheard of in other developed countries, and don't have the political will to enact tough gun legislation, partly because of a very powerful gun lobby. It's the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Culture doesn't happen in a vacuum. Environmental factors and particular sets of circumstances all play a very direct role in creating any culture.

Quote:
How do so many in the bad areas escape and become successful? It is up to the individual and how much encouragement they get from significant others. If these significant others are uninspired or lazy, they will stay there. If they are inspirational and loving, they will motivate. I'm not talking as an outsider that knows nothing about poverty, I'm talking as one with sociology classroom theories, I'm speaking as one that had parents that experienced poverty as immigrants without government assistance.
You're missing the point; there shouldn't be anything to "escape" from in the first place in the context in which we're speaking. Urban communities in America were deliberately designed to be the way they are; there were policies intentionally implemented, on both the left and the right, that created much of the mess we see in urban communities today.

Quote:
When you say, "diminished opportunities to support themselves and their families legally," you are talking about a situation that happens at any economic level.
But when it happens at the lowest economic level, that's an entirely different beast.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-05-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or