U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,234,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I go to Northlake Mall the first Saturday morning of every month, weather permitting. We always have a great time!
Cars and Coffee? I've been a few times. That's pretty much my entire experience with NL mall. Certainly that isn't indicative of whatever problems the mall may have.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 10-17-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,401,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
unfortunately the mall was built in a very shady area. It is a shame because the mall itself is very nice and there are alot of good restaurants and stores around.

If they do not get a handle on things then it will become eastland mall all over again.
Shady area like what is this so called shady area you speak of there is no housing near the place except these nice brand new apartment complexes.

Its atrocious to even compare it to Eastland back up your your claim show me crime reports.

Its a mall all malls, walmarts has there share of crime even South Park
but you guys just feel like making it seem like this mall or Concord mills or Carolina Place is seedy or whatever the flavor of the month.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM

358 posts, read 471,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Cars and Coffee? I've been a few times. That's pretty much my entire experience with NL mall. Certainly that isn't indicative of whatever problems the mall may have.
Yeah I just found out about cars and coffee about 2.5 months ago and have been there the last two events. I've been to Northlake/Target/Lowe's/PF Changs any number of places around Northlake many times and it is fine. Just like any mall there are some annoying teenagers or rude people. In addition I think this is a very nice area. That is not to say that there is never any crime of opportunity or bad things that may happen (just like about anywhere in a large city).

There are some other shopping centers within about 5-10 miles that I would be more concerned about going to. One in particular that when leaving the grocery store we are always approached and there are some shady people/things that appear to be going on. So, my wife and I don't go there after dark.

KBrown28031 do you have any data to back that up? As I get crime stat emails around the Northlake area and I'm just not seeing it. I mean of course there are some incidents around a mall.

Last edited by trckn4life; 10-17-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 PM

441 posts, read 1,065,319 times
Default Curfew

No one under 18 can be in the mall (Northlake) Fri. or Sat. after 5pm. We have gone there then and it has been just fine. The movie theater is where the kids all are after 5pm. So we go to movies before 5pm and the mall after 5pm. This has worked out well. I think the curfew was put in place because there were SO MANY groups of teens there on weekend evenings. Some groups were louder and more disrespectful than others...but isn't this usually the case?

However, I must say that I don't roam the mall. I go in and get what I want and get out. I just don't like malls...northlake, southpark or even Carollina Place. And don't get me started to Concord Mills. I get anxiety in that place!

As for the 'bad elements'...across 77 near the gas station and Bob Evens is kind of shaddy. So I would not be surprised if it moved on over to Northlake.

T

Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
Well, I go to Northlake on occasion and I don't get it with all the negativity.

One thing that will assure ANY mall will get rundown: if all the "regular folks" stop going there.

So to make sure it stays a viable, clean mall, support it - instead of exaggerating incidences that occur in every mall, in every city.

I am sorry this happened to OP. It is a terrible thing when crime occurs, but . . . Northlake doesn't draw any more "thugs" than any other retail area.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM

359 posts, read 502,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You must not like most 12-16 year olds then.
There have been 94 reported incidents involving larceny at Northlake Mall this year. Last year there were 159 larcenies. *These involve LFA's & shoplifting offenses*

So far this year there have been seven assaults and a robbery as well.

________

I have heard way too much vulgar language from persons in the mall who were in that 12-16 range.

I don't see many parents either

However maybe I'm old fashioned and believe that kids should act somewhat respectful to their surroundings. Forgive me for my ignorance to today's "norm"

Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 AM

249 posts, read 368,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Shady area like what is this so called shady area you speak of there is no housing near the place except these nice brand new apartment complexes.

Its atrocious to even compare it to Eastland back up your your claim show me crime reports.

Its a mall all malls, walmarts has there share of crime even South Park
but you guys just feel like making it seem like this mall or Concord mills or Carolina Place is seedy or whatever the flavor of the month.
Feel better now?

I did not say there was any housing near the mall did I? I also said the mall and surrounding stores are nice.

If thugs and shady looking kids are loitering at the mall then people that actually go there to spend money will quit going and it will not be able to support itself just like Eastland. That is what i meant by that comment.

You must hold exit 18 dear to your heart but I feel that you have to be careful around that area and i agree with alot of the other people that do not feel 100% safe visiting that area.

ND ALum reported that there was 94 larcenys last year at Northlake and also 7 assaults.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM

359 posts, read 502,549 times
I live about 2 miles from the mall and the problem isn't the housing in the immediate area. I saw two subjects arrested for armed robbery at Northlake mall who live in Hidden Valley.

The 94 larcenies are from 1/1/11 to today

There were 159 last year

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM

5,858 posts, read 7,675,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
There have been 94 reported incidents involving larceny at Northlake Mall this year. Last year there were 159 larcenies. *These involve LFA's & shoplifting offenses*

So far this year there have been seven assaults and a robbery as well.

________

I have heard way too much vulgar language from persons in the mall who were in that 12-16 range.

I don't see many parents either

However maybe I'm old fashioned and believe that kids should act somewhat respectful to their surroundings. Forgive me for my ignorance to today's "norm"
I don't know the statistics on every mall across the country (I'm not sure where you got those numbers but maybe you could tell us the numbers of some other area malls as a comparison), but I would imagine those numbers are about average. Through 10.5 months this year, the 94 incidents actually shows a pretty significant decline from last year. And I would say for a pretty large mall to have less than 1 assault per month does not make a place "shady," as most likely they were not all random crimes on unsuspecting shoppers.

Unfortunately, obnoxious teenagers and the possibility of crime happening anywhere are today's norm across the country.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,165,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I've only been to Northlake 3 or 4 times but I've never had the thug life experience.
While leaving NLM one Saturday afternoon with my wife, three black young men dressed like thug/rappers, cat whistled at her. We were just outside of the automatic doors. I told her to go on and I turned around to confront these pr...s. They went back into the mall. I reported them to Mall security - the security guard replied to me "I'm not Surprised".

I asked if they have problems with these types and he said "all the time".
Security did nothing to address my situation, Nothing. You may not see thugamania, but ask any security guard if there are issues. Don't be surprised on what you hear.

I do not go back to NLM because of this BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or