U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Reputation: 2121

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Hmmm.... Brian and I agree again. Wow

Again? This is becoming a pattern?

Okay, which one of us changes our argument.

 
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,295,623 times
Reputation: 6489
Lightbulb 'The Element'? Ohhhh Susannah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Just remember that 'the element' cannot pass up the opportunity to lift someone else's goods when given the chance AND they don't need it to be in plain sight!
I just had to laugh and shake my head when I saw this one...and pray tell, enlighten us---what 'element' is that exactly? The Boron Mob? The Krypton Kids? The Beryllium Bandits?

All kidding aside though, it's 2011 already...I've said this before elsewhere on C-D, and I think it bears repeating in this instance---

If you have a problem with a certain segment or segments of the black population, and their behavior, then come out and by-god SAY IT! Maybe if you 'speak the name of the devil', then folks might actually want to engage in a conversation about your issue with same, and quiet as it's kept, some of my (black) folks get on my nerves with some of their ongoing dumb behavior (there...I said it...and the earth didn't open and swallow me LOL)

Don't use codespeak and sit around snickering behind your hands like mean girls at some high school lunch table...if I have a problem, with anyone or about anything, I am a grown man---I will SAY who and what I have a problem with, and I don't give a fig about race, gender, political ideology, social class, neighborhood, whatever...I'm going to speak my mind, and do it in such a way that there will be no doubt what or who I'm addressing...

And I'm sorry for those of you who still feel it necessary to generalize, label, and mostly chest-beat and spew hot air...I've seen enough counter-posts in this thread to know all this thug-element-riffraff whatever, is overreaction...if you want to sit nailed in your root cellars and not go anywhere, for fear of (gasp!) encountering your perception of too many 'colored folk' in one place to suit you, then you go right ahead and stay there---life is too short to sit and boo-hoo because stuff doesn't go your way...

If I am ever in the area, as a visitor or potential future resident, then I will patronize whatever establishments I so choose, and NOT be turned away by somebody's unruly 'thug-element wannabe' sons or daughters...I'm grown, and I'm not going to alter my routine based on the number of folks of a different race than mine being in close proximity to me...if anything, I will do as always and try to get along with everyone, not just my fellow black folk...

I have better things to do with my time besides worry about people who break out in hives and start proselytizing about stuff...y'know, things like spend my hard-earned money at mall stores, and know enough not to leave stuff out where people ('element' or not) can see it, and not be 'intimidated or appalled' by other people...
 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I just had to laugh and shake my head when I saw this one...and pray tell, enlighten us---what 'element' is that exactly? The Boron Mob? The Krypton Kids? The Beryllium Bandits?

All kidding aside though, it's 2011 already...I've said this before elsewhere on C-D, and I think it bears repeating in this instance---

If you have a problem with a certain segment or segments of the black population, and their behavior, then come out and by-god SAY IT! Maybe if you 'speak the name of the devil', then folks might actually want to engage in a conversation about your issue with same, and quiet as it's kept, some of my (black) folks get on my nerves with some of their ongoing dumb behavior (there...I said it...and the earth didn't open and swallow me LOL)

Don't use codespeak and sit around snickering behind your hands like mean girls at some high school lunch table...if I have a problem, with anyone or about anything, I am a grown man---I will SAY who and what I have a problem with, and I don't give a fig about race, gender, political ideology, social class, neighborhood, whatever...I'm going to speak my mind, and do it in such a way that there will be no doubt what or who I'm addressing...

And I'm sorry for those of you who still feel it necessary to generalize, label, and mostly chest-beat and spew hot air...I've seen enough counter-posts in this thread to know all this thug-element-riffraff whatever, is overreaction...if you want to sit nailed in your root cellars and not go anywhere, for fear of (gasp!) encountering your perception of too many 'colored folk' in one place to suit you, then you go right ahead and stay there---life is too short to sit and boo-hoo because stuff doesn't go your way...

If I am ever in the area, as a visitor or potential future resident, then I will patronize whatever establishments I so choose, and NOT be turned away by somebody's unruly 'thug-element wannabe' sons or daughters...I'm grown, and I'm not going to alter my routine based on the number of folks of a different race than mine being in close proximity to me...if anything, I will do as always and try to get along with everyone, not just my fellow black folk...

I have better things to do with my time besides worry about people who break out in hives and start proselytizing about stuff...y'know, things like spend my hard-earned money at mall stores, and know enough not to leave stuff out where people ('element' or not) can see it, and not be 'intimidated or appalled' by other people...


Totally understood where you were coming from on the rest of the post, but wondering if I just got blasted on this last sentence? You feel it was inappropriate for me to suggest that ignoring catcalls and continuing to patronize a mall despite the "stories" re: crime is coded language and disingenuous?
 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: S. Charlotte
1,511 posts, read 2,876,845 times
Reputation: 675
I actually have not gone up to that mall yet (although I may have to now that the Apple store is up there too ), but I agree with the pp re: visible stuff.

Around our S. Charlotte area that is such an easy thing to peek into cars and smash/grab if they see something they like or looks expensive in some way. It's the unfortunate reality of things.

It always kills me how some people additionally leave their cards unlocked and then are all surprised with someone breaks in and steals stuff (not saying you did!).

It sucks when we have stuff stolen. Sorry about that
 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,295,623 times
Reputation: 6489
Lightbulb LOL...No Ani...That Wasn't Aimed At You

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
[/b]Totally understood where you were coming from on the rest of the post, but wondering if I just got blasted on this last sentence? You feel it was inappropriate for me to suggest that ignoring catcalls and continuing to patronize a mall despite the "stories" re: crime is coded language and disingenuous?
Not at all...I apologize if it appeared that way, but no, that wasn't the case...if anything, I should give you a high-5 for speaking your mind---what you said was both appropriate and timely...once again, forgive me if my meaning was misconstrued
 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Not at all...I apologize if it appeared that way, but no, that wasn't the case...if anything, I should give you a high-5 for speaking your mind---what you said was both appropriate and timely...once again, forgive me if my meaning was misconstrued
I am the one who evidently didn't construe it correctly, lol. No need for an apology at all! That is why I asked - my misreading, not a failure of communication on your part.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
I just gotta say this . . . the slickest criminals are the ones that DO NOT LOOK THE PART.

When I was in college, a friend of mine told me her ex-husband used to pick pocket at O'Hare airport in Chicago, where they were living. He was in MED SCHOOL. SERIOUSLY. They had a baby and when they would run out of money . . . he would DRESS UP and appear to be a business traveler . . . and he would pickpocket!

I was stunned, but that little revelation made me look at the world differently. You can't judge a person by how they "look!" The people who may be intending on doing you harm could be the most innocuous looking people in a crowd.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,031 posts, read 4,690,532 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. They should have held dance classes in the food court area - nothing like a nice foxtrot to get people moving, hee hee.

If catcalling and whistling is done simply to intimidate, then so what . . . ignore and go on. If done to break the monotony (wh/ is usually why guys do that sort of thing) it should be taken as such - no big deal.
If "mall rats" are there to amuse themselves by intimidating folks, getting a reaction is exactly what they want! Why bother to even acknowledge such behavior?

I still say . . . if you don't want a mall to go "downhill" - support the retailers who are located there!
Maybe you get a kick out of being woolf whistled at?
You see it as acceptable anyway, where as I see it as offensive.
As for
Not as tho one must defend one's partner's honor b/c someone acknowledges she is "hot."

I can understand (barely) a man writing this, but a woman?
Is she his hot property to defend?
How about how she felt?

You know, some men have a way of showing they think you are attractive ,or look nice (HOT)- they speak to you, ask you how you are and smile. That's appreciative.

If done to break the monotony (wh/ is usually why guys do that sort of thing) it should be taken as such - no big deal.
A woolf whistle when you're with your partner and probably a lewd remark isn't.
If "mall rats" are there to amuse themselves by intimidating folks, getting a reaction is exactly what they want! Why bother to even acknowledge such behavior?

put up and shut up- AKA apathy.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Maybe you get a kick out of being woolf whistled at?
You see it as acceptable anyway, where as I see it as offensive.
As for
Not as tho one must defend one's partner's honor b/c someone acknowledges she is "hot."

I can understand (barely) a man writing this, but a woman?
Is she his hot property to defend?
How about how she felt?

You know, some men have a way of showing they think you are attractive ,or look nice (HOT)- they speak to you, ask you how you are and smile. That's appreciative.

If done to break the monotony (wh/ is usually why guys do that sort of thing) it should be taken as such - no big deal.
A woolf whistle when you're with your partner and probably a lewd remark isn't.
If "mall rats" are there to amuse themselves by intimidating folks, getting a reaction is exactly what they want! Why bother to even acknowledge such behavior?

put up and shut up- AKA apathy.
I think you just blasted me . . . but I don't know why, lol.

I don't understand what you wrote or why you feel what I wrote is so outrageous.

When people are acting out, the best way to handle it is to ignore it. This is true for children as well as childish acting adults.

I used the term "hot" b/c others had used it.

It appears you are angry at me b/c I advocate ignoring childish public behavior. You think folks should have a brawl over something as silly as a cat call?

Where were you raised??????

Just b/c something offends my sensibilities, it doesn't mean I have to buy into it, react to it or in any way acknowledge it.

We are not talking about someone actually assaulting another person, or waving a knife . . . we are talking about a whistle.

Over-reaction, much?
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I just had to laugh and shake my head when I saw this one...and pray tell, enlighten us---what 'element' is that exactly? The Boron Mob? The Krypton Kids? The Beryllium Bandits?

All kidding aside though, it's 2011 already...I've said this before elsewhere on C-D, and I think it bears repeating in this instance---

If you have a problem with a certain segment or segments of the black population, and their behavior, then come out and by-god SAY IT! Maybe if you 'speak the name of the devil', then folks might actually want to engage in a conversation about your issue with same, and quiet as it's kept, some of my (black) folks get on my nerves with some of their ongoing dumb behavior (there...I said it...and the earth didn't open and swallow me LOL)

Don't use codespeak and sit around snickering behind your hands like mean girls at some high school lunch table...if I have a problem, with anyone or about anything, I am a grown man---I will SAY who and what I have a problem with, and I don't give a fig about race, gender, political ideology, social class, neighborhood, whatever...I'm going to speak my mind, and do it in such a way that there will be no doubt what or who I'm addressing...

And I'm sorry for those of you who still feel it necessary to generalize, label, and mostly chest-beat and spew hot air...I've seen enough counter-posts in this thread to know all this thug-element-riffraff whatever, is overreaction...if you want to sit nailed in your root cellars and not go anywhere, for fear of (gasp!) encountering your perception of too many 'colored folk' in one place to suit you, then you go right ahead and stay there---life is too short to sit and boo-hoo because stuff doesn't go your way...

If I am ever in the area, as a visitor or potential future resident, then I will patronize whatever establishments I so choose, and NOT be turned away by somebody's unruly 'thug-element wannabe' sons or daughters...I'm grown, and I'm not going to alter my routine based on the number of folks of a different race than mine being in close proximity to me...if anything, I will do as always and try to get along with everyone, not just my fellow black folk...

I have better things to do with my time besides worry about people who break out in hives and start proselytizing about stuff...y'know, things like spend my hard-earned money at mall stores, and know enough not to leave stuff out where people ('element' or not) can see it, and not be 'intimidated or appalled' by other people...
Great post.

Half the time I'm scratching my head trying to think who the thug element is... duh, it's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top