U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 PM

985 posts, read 1,663,419 times
Uh-oh.

What kind of threats did they bestow upon you? If it's anything physical, have a police report filed. If it was just, "we'll call the NAACP", yadda, yadda........have no fear.

Not sure of the laws in NC, but in some states, people have to occupy a space for more than 30 days before they are consider residents.

IF that is the case here, I would make it crystal clear to them that they are NOT qualified for tenancy AND that they are NOT residents of your house AND that they shall remove there belongings immediately. If they refuse, make it clear that you will place there belongings curbside for them to pick up.

Sorry to sound harsh, but your wife needs to learn lifes lessons the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM

985 posts, read 1,663,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You can't file a lawsuit on someone elses behalf. You have to have standing and seed donation isn't enough. See if you can get them to repeat the threat while you are recording the phone call.

Thankfully(for OP's sake), recording conversations IS legal AND a good idea.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM

321 posts, read 475,380 times
If they moved in without your permission, call the police, it's trespassing.

If you are worried about being sued, as the others have said, deny the application for the appropriate reason and send them notice. If you are extra worried, create a scoring checklist that you use for everyone, and score their application.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM

374 posts, read 397,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR=#ff0000
Meet ->Apply ->Check References ->Approve (or not)...[/color]
THEN deposit and first months rent money... THEN keys

Agree 100%.

The number one place where private landlords fail and can possibly get themselves in a lot of hot water is that they do not make landlording a business process.

Not trying to pick on the OP, but when I see words/phrases like "feeling comfortable" and "character" I cringe a know this is more of any emotional process than business. I'm even starting to hate the phrase "meeting in person". I almost would prefer not to see the tenants now. There is enough info online and via ref checks that can be gleaned from a solid application process to more than statisfy any concerns... the legal/safe way.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM

104 posts, read 128,935 times
Still trying to figure out what being an interracial couple had to do with it?

My theory you agreed to lease them the home and once you found out that they were an interracial couple you had issue with that and decided that you didn't want to rent from them....And that is when all heck broke lose with threats

Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM

1,737 posts, read 447,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntice View Post
Still trying to figure out what being an interracial couple had to do with it?

My theory you agreed to lease them the home and once you found out that they were an interracial couple you had issue with that and decided that you didn't want to rent from them....And that is when all heck broke lose with threats
I believe the OP was saying that the grandfather of one of the "tenants" is the one playing the race card because they are an inter-racial couple. I don't know that the OP has/had any issue with race until the grandfather tried to make it into one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte