U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

we currently live in Washington, DC and have two small children. While we love living in DC (and are actually in DC, not MD or VA), the idea of a smaller city seems appealing right now as well. For those familiar with both DC and Charlotte (and have kids) what are the pros and cons of Charlotte? What kinds of family friendly activities/events/etc exist? Is it easy to meet people? I'd hate to move there only to regret it and fall victim to "the grass is greaner".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,068,698 times
Have you considered buying a 2nd home that you can spend vacations at, that would satisfy your desire for some smaller city atmosphere without permanantly leaving a city that you seem to enjoy very much?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
I would be hard-pressed to leave DC! I still have dreams of getting a townhome there someday. I would like to retire to DC, lol.

If you are looking for a small city w/ terrific burbs and nice bedroom communities, then Charlotte could be the place for you. But oh my . . . giving up the hustle and bustle of DC, as well as the rich cultural lifestyle, transit system, the Potomoc . . . that would be a big change.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,068,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would be hard-pressed to leave DC! I still have dreams of getting a townhome there someday. I would like to retire to DC, lol.

If you are looking for a small city w/ terrific burbs and nice bedroom communities, then Charlotte could be the place for you. But oh my . . . giving up the hustle and bustle of DC, as well as the rich cultural lifestyle, transit system, the Potomoc . . . that would be a big change.
Not everybody is made for big city life, but people seem to fail to understand that part of the reason why places near major metros ARE more expensive is because they offer the types of amenities that aren't going to be there there in cheaper places.

We only visited once, and it rained all weekend, but my wife and I really loved visiting Boston a few years ago.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm216 View Post
we currently live in Washington, DC and have two small children. While we love living in DC (and are actually in DC, not MD or VA), the idea of a smaller city seems appealing right now as well. For those familiar with both DC and Charlotte (and have kids) what are the pros and cons of Charlotte? What kinds of family friendly activities/events/etc exist? Is it easy to meet people? I'd hate to move there only to regret it and fall victim to "the grass is greaner".
It's no big secret, if you need a faster-pace of lifestyle that you currently experience living in DC proper then Charlotte or any other mid-size city is a big transition. Some probably adjust others do not. Don't move expecting DC or anything similar in terms of daily activities and events in DC. Even larger southern cities/metros (Atl, Houston and Dallas) will not provide the DC urban experience.

It's hella cheaper and has tons to do for families but don't come here expecting to find areas like Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park, Eastern Market, etc although there are nice areas near downtown as well as downtown (inside the I-277 loop). Else you'll fall into the "grass is greener" bucket of folk that want everything to be like the place they come from with similar amenities coupled with Charlotte's lower cost-of-living to boot....not gonna happen.

Personally, at this juncture of professional life and with family (not while in DC), I prefer Charlotte versus DC but am a native North Carolinian so there is bias.

Check out Dilworth and areas near Southend.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,338,536 times
We moved from Reston 3 years ago with 2 small children with the same goal in mind. We had lived in G'town and Bethesda as well. There are definatly a lot of pro's - lots of family friendly activities in and around charlotte, small town atmosphere with bigger city ammenities(professional sports teams, concerts, uptown night life, shopping), easy access to mountains and beach without the ridiculous traffic to get there, great weather - all 4 seasons but more of the fall/spring weather, less winter, and a very friendly atmosphere overall. While living in the DC metro area, we met some people, but always felt that since it was so transient that the people we met moved soon after, so we only had a handful of friends there at any one time. Since moving here we have met TONS of people, and since there are a lot of transplants here I feel people are all kind of in the same boat and trying to meet people. There are some cons - like a previous poster said if you like the hustle and bustle of DC its not the same and even though you get some of the great perks of a bigger city, you don't get all of them. Also, of course you miss out on the amount of historical and national monuments and museums. While there are some here, obviously it doesn't compare. But at least for us, we feel like we would rather have the day to day lifestyle we want and visit DC than vice versa. We love it here and are very happy with our decision. Feel free to DM me if you have other questions.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm216 View Post
Richmond is MUCH closer (distance wise and culture). Just saying...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,206,391 times
We moved down to the Charlotte area in 06 from the Dulles/Sterling area. We moved back up last year w/ our 2 kids. I think you will be in for a big shock moving down to Charlotte from DC. If you want slow pace and friendly people then Charlotte is the place for you. It's a heck of a lot cheaper, but also salaries will be less (if you can find a job).

Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM

285 posts, read 916,791 times
My daughter and I moved to Fort Mill in early '07 (just barely outside Charlotte city limits - roughly like living just across the Potomac in Arlington). We had lived in Manassas, VA but I worked in downtown DC for 8 years. Lived in Oklahoma City prior to that.

I moved here to be close to family due to health reasons, so I did not pick Charlotte. We are not from this area originally. I made the decision to move here sight unseen.

I thought I would really like it here as I was absolutely sick of the train commute into DC everyday not to mention the horrible traffic conditions at all times. It has been a nice change for more family time together.

But, I still haven't adjusted! I really, really don't like it here. People are nice, I have a 15 minute commute, and the climate is nice, but Charlotte is a tiny, tiny "city". After living in DC you will be shocked at how small it is and how little there really is to do. I'm bored out of my gourd so to speak. I would move back to DC if my health were better and my daughter hadn't developed some medical issues of her own (which require me to do lots of appt runs).

So, don't make a rash decision to move here. Visit and visit again. Unless you plan to live in downtown Charlotte, which does have somewhat of a city feel, you will feel like you are in the boonies.

I would assume with children you would be looking at Fort Mill or Union County for the schools. I for one feel like Charlotte is very far away from Fort Mill (it is only about 4 miles to the city limits) but I have no experience with Union County. Shopping is very spread out across the metro and I still find all shopping to be terribly inconvenient.

Anyway, I know how great Charlotte looks on paper to a city dweller, but the reality is Atlanta would probably feel more like home to you than Charlotte.

BTW, I brought my job with me so I maintained my income. That said, other than housing, it is NOT cheaper to live here. Many things are higher (weirdly, water is ridiculous here!).

Good luck in your research.

Last edited by FortMillBound; 10-18-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,716,388 times
I just moved here after living in Baltimore for a couple years (yes I know, not DC, but I did spend a fair amount of time in DC and the surrounding area). Honestly, I can't think of really any similarities between DC and Charlotte other than the fact that a lot of the people that live in both cities are not originally from there (as amp kinda mentioned).

Compared to DC, Charlotte is hardly a city at all (to me, that's a good thing, as I much prefer Charlotte to DC, it's just too bad Charlotte doesn't have the abundance of cushy gubment jobs that DC has...although of course if it did it would be more expensive to live here). As the previous posters mentioned, if you're looking for all the action of DC, you probably won't find it here, although it is very family friendly.

I agree with FortMillBound's statement that probably only uptown Charlotte has a similar city feel of DC, but I'm not sure I agree with the Fort Mill/Charlotte to Arlington/DC analogy though. Yes, it's not far from the Charlotte "city limits," but it's almost 20 miles to the uptown area, as much of Charlotte's "city limits" are basically suburbs (Charlotte has only about 100,00 more people than DC, but is 5x as big in terms of land area). To be honest, in my opinion many of DC's "suburbs" are more "city" than Charlotte is, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte