Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM

26 posts, read 57,932 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my name is Terri. I have 1 cat and will be adopting 1 dog before I move from Michigan to Charlotte. I've narrowed down my choices to 1 of 2 dogs, and both are pit bull type mixes. I've only found one place called Maple Run Apartments that MIGHT conditionally accept the dog I choose.

I am looking for a townhome, duplex or house to rent in the University area, South Park, or any other good, decent neighborhood that is safe day and night. I am not familiar with the city at all, so a low-crime area, quiet community, and a bug-free place would be great. I'd say my rent price range is $400 - $600 a month, and I will have rental insurance. I'll be traveling to Charlotte soon to check out some places.

I'd appreciate any help or resources anyone can direct me too, as I'd like to move within a month. Feel free to DM me any rental agency suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 PM

378 posts, read 703,176 times
If you're planning on living alone, at least for apartments, your price range for an apartment in a relatively safe area is pretty low.

For at least a 1 bedroom I'd say you're looking at a minimum $600. Also is this range including possible monthly pet rent for both pets? Do you also have enough for pet deposit. I'll see what information I can find out from one of my friends regarding home rentals. He rented a nice little house from a rental agent and they had no problem with his pit and other dog. If I can find out from him, I'll PM you. Of course his house was in Kannapolis but from when he was looking, they had houses all over the city.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 PM

Yes, I'd be the only one staying there and paying bills, so I was looking for a good deal. I didn't want to have anyone living above or below me at first, but it seems finding housing for my pets is harder than it used to be. I'd say my absolute max is $675 including any other fees, and I'll be willing to consider anything, i.e. townhouse/duplex, rental home. I have money saved up for deposits and such.

I definitely would appreciate any info you or your friend has. It would be great if I could find a good size 1 or 2 bedroom house or townhome for that price. PM me if you find out anything.

And if anyone else has suggestions, post up and PM me. I need all the resources I can get. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,170,200 times
South Park OR University is a wide area. Can you narrow it down to where you may be working? Is your heart set on adopting that dog? That limits your choices.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 PM

I'm not familiar with the different areas of town. Not sure what they are called. I've also heard NoDa and Uptown are good areas, so I'd consider those as well...

Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,702,110 times
Dang, from the title, I thought you had bred and cat and a pitbull....I was thinking only a lunatic would rent to you. Oh well....good luck!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,696 times
I moved across the country last year from Boston to OKlahoma with a Bull Terrier. Was tough finding a place to live with a bull breed. If your heart isnt set on getting a dog, perhaps think about waiting until your settled in after your move. I placed an ad on Craigslist with a picture of my dog and was lucky enough to get a good response with a fantastic landlord.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,301,257 times
It's great that you want to adopt the dog, but having a pit bull mix will severely limit your housing options. There are a fair amount of pet-friendly rentals around here, but many do not allow pit bulls, and there are also some that allow cats but not dogs, so finding a rental with just the cat might not be as difficult.

And not to sound like a parent or anything, but if your budget is already limited, taking care of both a dog and a cat isn't exactly going to help matters.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,175,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It's great that you want to adopt the dog, but having a pit bull mix will severely limit your housing options. There are a fair amount of pet-friendly rentals around here, but many do not allow pit bulls, and there are also some that allow cats but not dogs, so finding a rental with just the cat might not be as difficult.

And not to sound like a parent or anything, but if your budget is already limited, taking care of both a dog and a cat isn't exactly going to help matters.
^^^All this.

I'd add that we have plenty of great dogs to adopt down here. Maybe you move and get settled with the cat, then find a dog, or even move in a year to a pit friendly rental. Is it possible you're taking on a bit too much at one time? You seem rushed, on a fairly low budget, grabbing a dog before you leave, etc. I mean all of that in a helpful way, not to pick on you.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM

116 posts, read 254,896 times
If I would be in your place I would definitely postpone getting the dog for now.
Plenty of time to get a dog once you settle in.
Your budget is already very low for a nice area and adding a dog makes it almost impossible to get a decent place.

Please take it as a friendly advice, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte