U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM

345 posts, read 468,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Knowing that THIS is an option in the same state.
In the interests of full disclosure, that looks more like one of the Out Islands in the Bahamas than anywhere in Florida...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM

5,447 posts, read 5,190,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.UpstateNY View Post

And by the way Native_Son, it's 2011!!! You still use the term "Yankee?" Funny...
He does but.....he doesn't know the high button shoes he still wears are the fashion rage with the fashionistas of NYC!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM

5,307 posts, read 3,985,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.UpstateNY View Post
Thanks a lot everyone! I really love the heat (call me crazy), but I do. I need sunlight and heat. Here, we have three months of decent weather, and winter lasts forever. It's cold with grey skies here from September-April. Two years ago on Mother's Day, it actually snowed (yes, in May). I'm not one to complain about the heat. I've spent many summers in North Carolina as a child, my mother is from there; but I'm not very familiar with Charlotte. I've visited Jacksonville, and enjoyed it- but I would have a stronger support system in Charlotte.
Well if you feel that the heat won't bother you then I say ..give it a go !

Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,765 times
This should answer your question: NY and FL are the top 2 states in which people move here to Charlotte from! We even have a name for people that move to Florida from a northern state and then back up here; they're called "halfbacks" because NC is close to half way to back to where they came from.
No need to take my word for it though because I am biased being that I am the founder of Positive Charlotte and a Realtor. Best of luck!

P.S. Us Yankees far out number southerners in Charlotte bless our hearts! lol

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,093,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Nice pictures, but they were taken on the other side of Florida. You won't see that beautiful white sand on the Atlantic side.
Yea it's the West coast but it's still Florida, and that's my point. I could never live in JAX with the rest of the beaches being what they are. And to be frank, further South on the Atlantic side you get blue water starting around Cocoa Beach it just starts to blue up, and it gets better going South.

Heck even Destin Beach in the panhandle is pretty friggin sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
In the interests of full disclosure, that looks more like one of the Out Islands in the Bahamas than anywhere in Florida...
Ah, nope. Siesta Key/Sarasota. Spent many a day there and it looks just like that.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM

32 posts, read 24,896 times
[quote=Stella Artois;21415299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdtaco View Post

People in Jacksonville prefer to be considered as part of south Georgia than Florida. It is more of a non-tourist city comared to cities further south. Insurance, trucking, and manufacturing are the major industries there and not so much tourism.

Tourism is huge in this area. Then when the "snowbirds" move down here it makes everything worse, traffic, going out for dinner, going to get lunch for lunch break.....

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

22 posts, read 35,773 times
I lived in both these cities for a while and like them both for different reasons. If you work from home or retired, then I would prefer Jax.
JAX:
Pros: Not terribly hot summers and mild winters and driving distance to Orl, and even Miami, Atl, NO etc., Decent beaches in Jax area too.
Cons: Worse job scene, limited flights (mostly connects via Clt or Mia), limited cuisine options, not ethnically diverse, no mountains and worst of all--the oldies driving on the road and Jaguars.
CLT:
Pros: Great four seasons, mountains, good airport (I fly out almost every week), smokies or Virginia or Myrtle beach are all drive away. Better cuisine options, ethnically diverse enough (not chicago, or DC yet), friendly people (thats why I am still here), Cam Newton.
Cons: Bad job scene, no gulf coast like beaches, limited night life options or musuems or arts scene, a few bars scattered here and there and no real downtown (uptown) per se. Bobcats

Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickytraveller View Post
I lived in both these cities for a while and like them both for different reasons. If you work from home or retired, then I would prefer Jax.
JAX:
Pros: Not terribly hot summers and mild winters and driving distance to Orl, and even Miami, Atl, NO etc., Decent beaches in Jax area too.
Cons: Worse job scene, limited flights (mostly connects via Clt or Mia), limited cuisine options, not ethnically diverse, no mountains and worst of all--the oldies driving on the road and Jaguars.
CLT:
Pros: Great four seasons, mountains, good airport (I fly out almost every week), smokies or Virginia or Myrtle beach are all drive away. Better cuisine options, ethnically diverse enough (not chicago, or DC yet), friendly people (thats why I am still here), Cam Newton.
Cons: Bad job scene, no gulf coast like beaches, limited night life options or musuems or arts scene, a few bars scattered here and there and no real downtown (uptown) per se. Bobcats
Not terribly hot summers? In Jacksonville? What is hot then..I'd like to know

Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 35,773 times
Summer in jax is half as bad as in tampa or miami. I lived in tampa for a while too, it will steam you to .

Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickytraveller View Post
Summer in jax is half as bad as in tampa or miami. I lived in tampa for a while too, it will steam you to .
Its all hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte