Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,818,595 times

Advertisements

I emailed Mr. Rob McRae on Monday and have yet to hear back from him.
If anyone has a phone number I can call....I'd love it.

I am the OP of this thread, and we did end up going in to contract on a McCar home (the negative responses didn't start rolling in until AFTER we signed the contract). Anyhoo.....the construction process has been a disaster area from beginning to end (well, it would be the end if the house were finished yet). I am debating walking away from the house. I want to try and give McCar a chance to make things right....but after emailing Mr. McRae and Mr. McSwain and getting NO response.....I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't recommend anyone build a McCar home.

ETA my urgency in receiving a reply from Mr. McRae is that we are supposed to close on our house in 2 weeks.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM

93 posts, read 392,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
The issue with the outlets is a common one among all builders. All outlets on an exterior wall with have draft. You can pull off the trim plate and caulk the rough in box to the sheetrock. This will eliminate this problem. It is not code nor is it a standard building practice in the industry today. This should not reflect negatively on the builder, but is nice when they do it. Some areas have different programs that some builders are a part of to get a certain energy rating. Caulking the outlets is one of the requirements of these programs.

As far as the Tyvek goes or any other house wrap for that matter. It is a good idea. It helps weather proof the home as well. However, it is only that a good idea. The code does not require a wrap of any kind.
You know....in my book, it reflects negatively. It's added to the grocery list of issues I've had with my home, even if this particular item is minute compared to the rest. It's just "one more thing".....

Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I emailed Mr. Rob McRae on Monday and have yet to hear back from him.
If anyone has a phone number I can call....I'd love it.

I am the OP of this thread, and we did end up going in to contract on a McCar home (the negative responses didn't start rolling in until AFTER we signed the contract). Anyhoo.....the construction process has been a disaster area from beginning to end (well, it would be the end if the house were finished yet). I am debating walking away from the house. I want to try and give McCar a chance to make things right....but after emailing Mr. McRae and Mr. McSwain and getting NO response.....I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't recommend anyone build a McCar home.

ETA my urgency in receiving a reply from Mr. McRae is that we are supposed to close on our house in 2 weeks.
Shaylahc---I'm sorry about your problems. Imagine what dealing with McCar could be like AFTER you close! I do not have a direct contact # for McCrae. I e-mailed him and we communicated via e-mail. But...I may have something better. I have connections. I have McSwain's personal home # and address. But, have you reached the point of calling McSwain at home?? Also, I e-mailed McSwain twice. He never responded. As the owner, I can only imagine he's bombarded with a lot of issues. McCrae said he'd been in direct contact with McSwain about my particular issues. (taking his word for that.....) Until McCrae contacted me, I had someone track down McSwain's personal home information because that was my next recourse. But then, Google led me to this website and McCrae responded. So, I never contacted McSwain personally. If you feel you've reached that level of frustration to call the man at home, e-mail me and I can provide it for you. I am choosing to post this publicy vs. contacting you privately so anyone else reading knows that I have his contact information and am most willing to share it if, and when, necessary because I know McCar monitors this thread now. Perhaps you'll get a response first, though.........

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,818,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
Shaylahc---I'm sorry about your problems. Imagine what dealing with McCar could be like AFTER you close! I do not have a direct contact # for McCrae. I e-mailed him and we communicated via e-mail. But...I may have something better. I have connections. I have McSwain's personal home # and address. But, have you reached the point of calling McSwain at home?? Also, I e-mailed McSwain twice. He never responded. As the owner, I can only imagine he's bombarded with a lot of issues. McCrae said he'd been in direct contact with McSwain about my particular issues. (taking his word for that.....) Until McCrae contacted me, I had someone track down McSwain's personal home information because that was my next recourse. But then, Google led me to this website and McCrae responded. So, I never contacted McSwain personally. If you feel you've reached that level of frustration to call the man at home, e-mail me and I can provide it for you. I am choosing to post this publicy vs. contacting you privately so anyone else reading knows that I have his contact information and am most willing to share it if, and when, necessary because I know McCar monitors this thread now. Perhaps you'll get a response first, though.........
Thank you! I went out this afternoon, and while I was gone my husband said the regional manager for McCar homes called him. He said he is personally stopping by the house every day to make sure everything is being done right. They even went through and replaced a bunch of stuff we hadn't noted on our walk through. So I guess I'll hold off on calling McSwain I do wish Mr. McRae had at least acknowledged that he received my email

Thank you for posting this info, and I hope someone else who needs help getting issues resolved with McCar finds this thread useful.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:14 PM

12 posts, read 33,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
You know....in my book, it reflects negatively. It's added to the grocery list of issues I've had with my home, even if this particular item is minute compared to the rest. It's just "one more thing".....
dsol,
Your book may be skewed on this point. i am not saying that it should not be done. I am saying that it is not required by the code. There are many things that are not required by code that could be done to make the home more presentable, attractive, sellable, but that does not mean they will be done or should be held against them. If they did it, trust me on this, you would have paid for it. I can guess that you will respond and say that you would have gladly paid for it. Keep in mind hind sight is 20/20. Next time you will know things to ask for. Home building is a learning process. Each time you build one you find things that you want done. It does not mean your last home was bad because it wasn't included.

Always keep in mind that just because it is important to you it may not be to the next person. the next person will get upset because they are paying for something they see no value in. All things are relevant.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Thank you! I went out this afternoon, and while I was gone my husband said the regional manager for McCar homes called him. He said he is personally stopping by the house every day to make sure everything is being done right. They even went through and replaced a bunch of stuff we hadn't noted on our walk through. So I guess I'll hold off on calling McSwain I do wish Mr. McRae had at least acknowledged that he received my email

Thank you for posting this info, and I hope someone else who needs help getting issues resolved with McCar finds this thread useful.
Good to hear!!!! Way to go!! I hope things work out for you!! Best wishes in your new home!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
dsol,
Your book may be skewed on this point. i am not saying that it should not be done. I am saying that it is not required by the code. There are many things that are not required by code that could be done to make the home more presentable, attractive, sellable, but that does not mean they will be done or should be held against them. If they did it, trust me on this, you would have paid for it. I can guess that you will respond and say that you would have gladly paid for it. Keep in mind hind sight is 20/20. Next time you will know things to ask for. Home building is a learning process. Each time you build one you find things that you want done. It does not mean your last home was bad because it wasn't included.

Always keep in mind that just because it is important to you it may not be to the next person. the next person will get upset because they are paying for something they see no value in. All things are relevant.

Yup. You're absolutely right. I only pointed out the drafty outlets in response to another post. I never called McCar and demanded they fix it. We know how to remedy the problem. We just shouldn't have to. In your eyes, my book is 'skewed'. That's your opinion and you are most entitled to it, as am I. There were many many problems with our home that had nothing to do with being in code or not. Many were simply cosmetic and bothersome. After all, I bought a new house, not used. Therefore, it should be 'perfect' (so to speak). I was still entitled to those items being done correctly just so they 'looked' nice. But, in all honesty, I almost believe drafty outlets are more important than, say, an out of plumb corner. But, again...my opinion. And, yes, everything is all relevant. Always will be.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 24,836 times
I just want to take the time out to thank you guy's for starting this ruckus. I'm sure McCar is monitoring this site. I've notice a change in the peoples (workers) attitude. I think I'm just a little paranoid. However, I must say the problems that I'm having so far are cosmetic (knock on wood). I can honestly say I learned a lot from this experience. This is the first "new" house I bought so there were a lot of things I didn't have a clue with. You can read all you want but experience is the best teacher. I think the builders in Briarcrest are staying on top of their game especially with all the competition and slow market. If I do have a problem I have this forum link in my favorites. Thanks a bunch and DSOL I got you on speed dial(lol)

Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,695 times
Default Protected Wetlands

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. In NC, if the builder has prior knowledge of wetlands within the development, do they have to disclose this information, even if bluntly asked prior to the contract being written? Also can I get a clarification from someone who has had more experience with wetlands as to exactly what is required to keep them protected as directed by Federal regulations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,913,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3000 View Post
I just want to take the time out to thank you guy's for starting this ruckus. I'm sure McCar is monitoring this site. I've notice a change in the peoples (workers) attitude. I think I'm just a little paranoid. However, I must say the problems that I'm having so far are cosmetic (knock on wood). I can honestly say I learned a lot from this experience. This is the first "new" house I bought so there were a lot of things I didn't have a clue with. You can read all you want but experience is the best teacher. I think the builders in Briarcrest are staying on top of their game especially with all the competition and slow market. If I do have a problem I have this forum link in my favorites. Thanks a bunch and DSOL I got you on speed dial(lol)

I don't know, they were not so personable at the townhomes in Moss Creek last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte