Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM

93 posts, read 393,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I am never suprised when I see posts about all the issues with new construction. There are MANY more builders that have these issues that they have caused themselves by using unskilled labor and most cant even speak english. This is 75% of the problem, the rest is cheap materials or things like leaving stuff out in the rain.

I have seen this across most builders.
I also dont like the trend of builders pointing at their own subs. Having a sub contractor does not mean the builder is not responseable for any part of the building. Having a sub doesnt mean a builder "washes his hands" of that part of the home.

Is is nice to see the Mccar reps get into this but 2 people cant be foremans for ALL their jobs. They need to look at the labor that they are using... Good luck to all
Not sure if you caught one of my previous posts regarding subs, but, the employee from McCar that visited with me in December verbally took ownership for their subs, and, their subs choice of materials. I had sort of put the blame on the subs, and it was this employee that actually corrected me saying "At the end of the day, who's name is at the front of this subdivision? McCar's", referring to their ultimate responsibility for their subs. At least he was big enough to own up to that, and, he was correct.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:13 AM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
I have planned on relocating to Charlotte for the past 6-7 months. I was just waiting for my home to be sold in CT. It finally did thankfully! McCar is one of the builders I have looked at as I like the location and their home styles, floor plans, etc.

I have had 3 homes built in the past 5 years and I have to say that none of these complaints sound different than mine. I really do not believe it is builder related, but you need to research and keep on top of any builder.

My homes in CT were 2-3X as much as the ones I am looking for in Charlotte and the quality still was not what you would think a $500-$650k home should be. Builders cut corners at times, they need to be managed, and of course document everything.

I was worried after reading this thread, but I am still most likely going to purchase from McCar as I believe the positives outweigh the negatives including my past experiences with builders (mainly Baker Residential, and GDC-which is a very highly respected luxury builder in NY).

Long and short of it is that in my experience, nothing is perfect not even a new home. I have had better luck on existing construction as far as problems go (no settling after heating/cooling cycles, cheaper matierials currently used, etc), but there is something about a 'new' home to me.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:36 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Just a point to note here just becasue a builder is good in one area does not mean they are good in another , take a good look at the homes being built.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:49 PM

12 posts, read 33,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I have planned on relocating to Charlotte for the past 6-7 months. I was just waiting for my home to be sold in CT. It finally did thankfully! McCar is one of the builders I have looked at as I like the location and their home styles, floor plans, etc.

I have had 3 homes built in the past 5 years and I have to say that none of these complaints sound different than mine. I really do not believe it is builder related, but you need to research and keep on top of any builder.

My homes in CT were 2-3X as much as the ones I am looking for in Charlotte and the quality still was not what you would think a $500-$650k home should be. Builders cut corners at times, they need to be managed, and of course document everything.

I was worried after reading this thread, but I am still most likely going to purchase from McCar as I believe the positives outweigh the negatives including my past experiences with builders (mainly Baker Residential, and GDC-which is a very highly respected luxury builder in NY).

Long and short of it is that in my experience, nothing is perfect not even a new home. I have had better luck on existing construction as far as problems go (no settling after heating/cooling cycles, cheaper matierials currently used, etc), but there is something about a 'new' home to me.
You make a very important point. Nothing is perfect. Just because it is a new house does not mean it will be perfect. In fact you will experience more issues with a new house than with one that has been standing for a few years. when you build a new house it will lose over 55 gallons of water in the first year alone. A house settleing is natural. All houses do it. If any one tells you that they do not is flat out lying to your face. It is impossible to build a home that will not settle.

A house will find its own medium in a couple of years. it has to go through atleast a full set of season before it decides where it wants to be. Eeach house is different, as each lot and conditions are different.

No builder can provide the perfect home. They buid houses not homes. Homes are created by the people who live in the houses. Yes, each house will have its own set of issues. Things get missed, by the builder on occasion. This happens. In todays society it is very easy to blame someone else. Build it fast, build it so I can afford it, then let me blame you later. There are alot of people who have posted on this site. I am willing to bet that if they were told that there house would cost 25 to 50 percent more and would take several more months to build would complain. And yet they complain about the builder who builds it quick and affordable.

They benefit from there production methods and there ability to purchase based on their buying power, yet if they went to a custom builder they would find a very different time frame and price and very little in the materials or workmanship. Lets face it. The production builders like McCar make homes more affordable for most of us.

I am not saying that they dont have their issues. I am saying that the fact that we live in a home that has a great floor plan in a good location at a price we can afford has to out way some issues.

But we all have the right to complain. So while we are all typing and complaining, say a prayer for those who gave us this right.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
You make a very important point. Nothing is perfect. Just because it is a new house does not mean it will be perfect. In fact you will experience more issues with a new house than with one that has been standing for a few years. when you build a new house it will lose over 55 gallons of water in the first year alone. A house settleing is natural. All houses do it. If any one tells you that they do not is flat out lying to your face. It is impossible to build a home that will not settle.

A house will find its own medium in a couple of years. it has to go through atleast a full set of season before it decides where it wants to be. Eeach house is different, as each lot and conditions are different.

No builder can provide the perfect home. They buid houses not homes. Homes are created by the people who live in the houses. Yes, each house will have its own set of issues. Things get missed, by the builder on occasion. This happens. In todays society it is very easy to blame someone else. Build it fast, build it so I can afford it, then let me blame you later. There are alot of people who have posted on this site. I am willing to bet that if they were told that there house would cost 25 to 50 percent more and would take several more months to build would complain. And yet they complain about the builder who builds it quick and affordable.

They benefit from there production methods and there ability to purchase based on their buying power, yet if they went to a custom builder they would find a very different time frame and price and very little in the materials or workmanship. Lets face it. The production builders like McCar make homes more affordable for most of us.

I am not saying that they dont have their issues. I am saying that the fact that we live in a home that has a great floor plan in a good location at a price we can afford has to out way some issues.

But we all have the right to complain. So while we are all typing and complaining, say a prayer for those who gave us this right.
Oh surely you had to assume I'd not miss the chance to chime in on this one. (I most assuredly have something to say about most things, really....) However, let's be real. Maybe I'm naieve, after all, I am a young homeowner having only built 2 homes starting when I was just 23. BUT, last time I checked, the price of my current home was more than double what I paid building my first home. I am acutely aware that NO home is perfect. I've built before...I know the 'settling' rules. I also know, it does not truely stop settling until between years 3 and 4. I've not wasted my time here posting about crappy paint jobs....I've posted here regarding floor joists....bowed studs, several misframing issues....broken windows, buried electrical outlets in walls, gas leaks (FOUR!!), etc. I should expect those items because I built with a production builder?!!? I understand that I CHOSE to use a production builder vs. a custom builder for obvious reasons: COST. But, that certainly does not mean I have to accept lesser quality (production builders) vs. superiour quality (custom builders) just because I chose a production builder. That's absurd. It shouldn't be assumed that lesser quality comes with production homes! Just because buyers choose production over custom shouldn't mean they have to take a backseat to quality. That is absolutely ridiculous to assume so. Production home buyers have every right to be picky over what they've paid for. Just because we didn't drop 1/2 million + for a home, doesn't mean we should just sit down and shut up. Yes, you most definitely get what you paid for, which is exactly why we have every right to complain about EVERYTHING we feel is insufficient with our homes. A few hundred grand for a home is NOT a drop in the bucket! I grew up in custom construction. I know quality. In fact, I've spoken to my family regarding custom vs. production. And, the bottom line is that unless you're building your home with your own two hands, NO builder is going to take the time and engery required (let alone paid for!) to build it the way they would build THEIR home! That's the bottom line. If homes were built the way the builder would build their own home...there would be minimal mistakes. But, alas, they don't really care 'cause it's not THEIR home. I'm guessing there are more people that don't complain than do...more people that are less picky than me, per se. But, I still paid a lot for this home and have every right to expect no less than quality...even if it is a production home. I'm sure McCar would rather be known as a quality builder than be lumped in with production builders that have sub-par quality homes. That's not what they want to be known for!! And then, there's also that little fact that my builder has told me on at least a half dozen times that they've never seen so many problems with one of their homes than they have with mine.....I know, I know....purely coincidental....a fluke....but then, my neighbors have been told the same things, too. But, I guess it's our own faults for being so cheap and building with a production builder. We work hard for our money. I'll never expect less quality for my money. No one should.

P.S. What I DO feel guilty for, from time to time, is complaining at all when there are so many people that do not have homes. In fact, I had a handful of workers here the day Hurricane Katrina hit and the remainder of that week. I was glued to CNN that week and every worker here was watching the news with me. I told each of them how guilty it made me feel that they were here fixing minor things such as these (broken windows, repairing hardwoods...etc that week) when we were staring at people trapped on their roofs that had lost everything. And, do you know what their response to me was? "Ma'am, this is job security for us. We need to work, too". That put a whole new perspective on things for me. So, complaining has it's benefits!! It's a full-circle.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I have to agree, builders and manufacturers both, expect homeowners to overlook the problems and should not be so picky. I have not complained about a lot with my home except my hardwood floors. After being in the home only 4 months, I should not have the floors raising, grain peeling, wood chipping and "shelling" as the pros call it. But I do and I am not happy about. Especially since I just noticed I was double charged for these "cheap" floors. And after meeting with the rep from National Oak Flooring Association, she had the nerve to look at my dh and say "You are actually nit picky about these simple little problems, come one, you are being unreal." Well that was it for him, he told her and Armstrong where to stick the floors. So again, they do not understand the value of a dollar when it is not their own. My dh and I work hard to pay for our home and expect it to at least look like a new home, not a 5 yr old home. And I have to agree, custom is much better. My last home was custom built and I keep comparing my hardwoods in there to these and there is no comparison hands down.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM

I have no problems if people want to complain with workmanship. Quality is definitely over looked these days, but these problems happen with all builders. The experience is not unique to McCar and happens at price points much higher than McCar homes.

My problem with the thread is with the repeated complaints over and over. It makes the thread harder to follow especially since there are over 20 pages for the newbies to read.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
And I have to agree, custom is much better. My last home was custom built and I keep comparing my hardwoods in there to these and there is no comparison hands down.
I would not recommend upgrading to hardwood floors using a builder. In my experience they charge very high prices for cheap quality hardwood (I dont eve like to call it hardwood haha). My last builder was better in this regard, but the floors were slightly warped in less than 2 years.

On a side note, I had granite installed in my last home for $3,000. The builder wanted over $6,500. I saved money and had much better installation.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I would not recommend upgrading to hardwood floors using a builder. In my experience they charge very high prices for cheap quality hardwood (I dont eve like to call it hardwood haha). My last builder was better in this regard, but the floors were slightly warped in less than 2 years.

On a side note, I had granite installed in my last home for $3,000. The builder wanted over $6,500. I saved money and had much better installation.

I agree with you on this post, and the previous one, as well. I'm guilty of repeat rants. Sorry if that makes your eyes blurry. But, I'm not going away, and, neither are my posts. I remark as I see fit to other posts, and, yes, am repetative (my friends lovingly remind me of this character fault). Oh well. As far as ugrades to a home...I would NEVER have paid for these so-called hardwood floors, either. But, we (unfortunately--to our own stupidity) bought a spec home and they were already installed. They'll not see year 5. A former neighbor, who's a current McCar employee, mentioned to me once that these floors should be replaced around year 5. FIVE?!?!!? The sales associate to our first home was honest enough to actually talk us out of many possible upgrades reminding us how much cheaper we could do the same things later on ourselves, or, hire someone to do. (Doubting her builder would've appreciated that, but, she was very honest and most appreciated.) We declined many options and, yes, did them ourselves later and saved thousands, with far superior materials, too.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

I dont think you shoould go away as people like you help improve the builders. My suggestion was for this thread to list the problems one by one. This will allow the new posters to understand the issues with McCar homes and then make an informed decision on the company.

I have worked with many good sales people at McCar and formeber builders. Surpriningly many were honest about upgrades, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte