Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM

201 posts, read 611,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
Sure they are.. just like nail pops and any other minor thing relating to temperature change.
When I read settling cracks I think of the foundation. That's not acceptable. My assumption had been corrected.
Nail pops are not related to temperature change. Their occurrence is a result of shrinking studs as they dry. The stud pulls away from your wallboard sending those nails into your living room.
Why was the stud wet to begin with? Poor management of materials on the site is why? A many thousand dollar framing package that was delivered kiln dried is left out in the elements unprotected to soak in that rain and humidity. Good for your lawn not that load of framing lumber soon to be your house but that's ok because you paid for that time in the kiln and you think the problem is due to temperature.
Your better builders protect the materials because it reduces their callbacks which cost them money.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,698 times
I agree the quality of the homes is really bad. My friend that was new to Charlotte bought a McCar home. She totally regrets it and is trying to sell it.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
I posted a few ago saying I have had no problems with McCar. Boy do I regret that. They were scheduled to do my 45 days walk through fixes yesterday. When they guy got here, he did not have anything with him. The hinges, strikeplate, thresholds all he had to get them and come back. All he did was remove the spackle on the hardwoods. What a waste of time. Then the painters came to fix the drywall and repaint in the garage. By the time they were done everything including my husband's Harley was covered with white drywall dust. Then the side shutters were burgundy while the front of the house were brown. The painter "didn't have the paint" and had to go get it. That was 6 hours ago and I am still waiting for him to return. Even then it was my mistake for letting it go until now. I noticed the week after settlement but thought I would just wait until the 45 day. Big mistake again. If you notice anything wrong, tell the builder as soon as you notice. You try to be nice to them and they take total advantage of you. With McCar you just have to stay one step ahead with them and keep on them.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM

93 posts, read 393,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I posted a few ago saying I have had no problems with McCar. Boy do I regret that. They were scheduled to do my 45 days walk through fixes yesterday. When they guy got here, he did not have anything with him. The hinges, strikeplate, thresholds all he had to get them and come back. All he did was remove the spackle on the hardwoods. What a waste of time. Then the painters came to fix the drywall and repaint in the garage. By the time they were done everything including my husband's Harley was covered with white drywall dust. Then the side shutters were burgundy while the front of the house were brown. The painter "didn't have the paint" and had to go get it. That was 6 hours ago and I am still waiting for him to return. Even then it was my mistake for letting it go until now. I noticed the week after settlement but thought I would just wait until the 45 day. Big mistake again. If you notice anything wrong, tell the builder as soon as you notice. You try to be nice to them and they take total advantage of you. With McCar you just have to stay one step ahead with them and keep on them.

STAY ON TOP OF THEM! Be the 'sqeaky wheel'! E-mail Rob McCrae (VP)! E-mail Keith McSwain (president)! Hound them until you get results. It's the ONLY thing that works. Additionally, use this public forum! Spread the word. The more people that post, the more McCar squirms. It will FORCE them into rectifying the problems to stop the negative posts...because at the end of the day...it ultimately hurts them in the pocket. Again, while that is not my ultimate goal, it IS the only thing they respond to. Don't give them an inch. Push, push, push. You will be heard. Even if it means posting daily here as I have done during my nightmare ordeal. Skip the middleman...go straight to the top. You'll get results.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 AM

218 posts, read 253,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
When I read settling cracks I think of the foundation. That's not acceptable. My assumption had been corrected.
Nail pops are not related to temperature change. Their occurrence is a result of shrinking studs as they dry. The stud pulls away from your wallboard sending those nails into your living room.
Why was the stud wet to begin with? Poor management of materials on the site is why? A many thousand dollar framing package that was delivered kiln dried is left out in the elements unprotected to soak in that rain and humidity. Good for your lawn not that load of framing lumber soon to be your house but that's ok because you paid for that time in the kiln and you think the problem is due to temperature.
Your better builders protect the materials because it reduces their callbacks which cost them money.
Well Paulie you are right about the moisture causing it as well. It does cause movement. Temperature however is also a reason. It does cause wood to shrink and expand. Please see the info on the bottom of this page.
http://www.usinspect.com/Interior/Drywall.asp

Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 AM

93 posts, read 393,535 times
Quote:
Hey dsolnmsol!
I hope you don't have problems either.

If you remember from one of my earlier posts Anyone dealt with McCar homes?
I sort of defended McCar just a little. MichelleK was actually my client, and that was one of the instances I was referring to. I was amazed to see her post, because I haven't spoken with her in almost a year it seems.

Anyways, just wanted to reiterate I was never making light of your situation.

Hey Michelle! I finally got unaddicted from Myspace thank you very much!

Hey Charlotte---No problem! I take no offense to anyone that DOES defend McCar. I stand convicted on my opinion of them and my situation. I will continue to be a voice on this forum as long as necessary because I was ultimately 'pushed' here by McCar for their lack of concern. Josh Bailey all but challenged me and called my bluff to go public. I didn't want to let him down, after all. So, I'm their pain in the butt. (smiling) And I have no qualms with that. If it helps another perspective buyer down the road, it was worth it 100%. It's time homebuyers hold their builders accountable for their subpar products and employees (including subs). I'm not afraid to stand up and shout it, either. Tired of being walked on. Sick AND tired. Anyways, thanks for the response, Charlotte. I'm sure we'll be 'seeing' more of eachother here!!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well Paulie you are right about the moisture causing it as well. It does cause movement. Temperature however is also a reason. It does cause wood to shrink and expand. Please see the info on the bottom of this page.
http://www.usinspect.com/Interior/Drywall.asp
Charlotte, where truss uplift is the culprit you are correct. I justify my not considering it as a source of nail pops because its a problem identified and solved some time ago.
The source you cite (copied below)provides what I believe is outdated information. The passage states the cause of truss lift is unknown but to their credit their assumption is correct. The building science community has in fact identified the temperature difference between the top and bottom chords as the source of the problem. They further state there is no solution, untrue. The builder who is current in what the building science community is promoting knows an attic where the insulation is installed on the underside of the roof deck is the solution. Instead they provide a aesthetic solution, just cover it up.
It should be noted nail pops are not the primary reason for this insulation practice but a side benefit.
In essence though I do stand corrected and I thank you for the refresher in outdated practices.

"Nail pops from “truss lift” may reoccur every winter when the truss system expands and contracts. The cause of truss lift is not known, but it is assumed that a combination of temperature and humidity changes that accompany the change of seasons cause the upper portion of the truss to cool and dry more than the bottom cord to which the drywall is secured. The cooler and drier part will contract and pull the warmer and moister bottom cord (under insulation and close to the heated living area) away from the drywall ceiling. There is no solution to this, but in some cases, a small crown molding can be installed (nailed to the ceiling only) to cover the affected area during the seasonal movement. Nail pops are most evident along the center-bearing wall of the house".

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM

218 posts, read 253,752 times
Wow, now you are just being an Moderator cut: xxx!

I just did a search for "nail pop temperature" and that was the first thing to come up. There were many other sites that came up. The truss lift was not the issue, just the fact that temperature makes wood expand and contract!

But if you want to get all technical... fine.

Studs getting wet from poor site management is not the only cause for a nail pop as you claim. Properly managed materials can still absorb moisture in humid regions LIKE CHARLOTTE!

If a house was built in the summer, and then months later the heat is turned on when the first cold snap arrives... you don't think that has any effect? I left my place cold during a business trip, and when I got back and turned the heat on.. you could hear the place snapping and popping all night! It's SIMPLE PHYSICS! Why do you think they have to let doors, frames, stair parts, etc. sit in the home to acclamate to temperature and humidity conditions before they are put on the house?

There are other causes than just shrinkage/expansion. Sometimes they can just pop out because they weren't put in properly. Nails aren't the best thing to use to hold something into place. This is why SCREWS are used in commerical construction.

Now if you still think temperature doesn't have any effect... perhaps you should call my boss, Tim Leadbetter, and ask him.

He was recognized as one of the PROFESSIONAL BUILDERS OF THE YEAR in 1991 by the Giant 400, and was recognized by the Secretary of HUD for achievement a few years later. Give Tim a call at 704.618.1200, I'm sure he will be able to explain it to you.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,769 times
Default Any Builder

I know that all of you are concerned because you own McCar Homes. But I hate to be the bearer of Bad news but every builder goes through a rough patch every now and then. I'm not sure the exact website but I think it is Orleanssucks.com. I live in a Mattamy Homes like somebody else in this thread but I also had problems with my house (ie sliding down the hill) It took a couple months for the builder to do anything about it but it eventually got fixed and I had to hound the builder to get it done.

I also work for a builder and I think they all want to make things right, but sometimes it is the people not the company. All building companies understand that posts like this could kill their business and they try to do what they can to make things right. Please understand that the warranty people with any builder are very concerned with getting your house right. The main problem comes from the fact that you as the homeowner have 1 house you are concerned with. That warranty team has every house in that subdivision to worry about and getting things fixed in an occupied house makes things especially difficult.

I know everybody wants everything fixed in their houses and you have every right to but give the builder the oppurtunity to make things right first and then if you have probolems use these threads.

As a former employee of 3 other builders besides my current one I think you all should know that all builders use the same companies. So if you think that McCar or any other builder uses poor subcontractors keep in mind that all the other builders use those same subcontractors.

My final thought is that your builder is just a supervisor. The employees on site know a pretty good amount about most parts of their home but we rely on the subcontractors, county inspectors, and private inspectors as both continuing education and as another set of eyes. the job title of superintendent is a glorified way of saying babysitter. The subcontractors know their job and it is our job as superintendents to get them to do what they know is right. And that is not an easy job. Many of these people working on these houses just want to get through the day and get their paycheck.

Just give these guys a chance to make things right more often then not they will fix your house.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Wow, now you are just being an Moderator cut: xxx!

I just did a search for "nail pop temperature" and that was the first thing to come up. There were many other sites that came up. The truss lift was not the issue, just the fact that temperature makes wood expand and contract!

But if you want to get all technical... fine.

Studs getting wet from poor site management is not the only cause for a nail pop as you claim. Properly managed materials can still absorb moisture in humid regions LIKE CHARLOTTE!

If a house was built in the summer, and then months later the heat is turned on when the first cold snap arrives... you don't think that has any effect? I left my place cold during a business trip, and when I got back and turned the heat on.. you could hear the place snapping and popping all night! It's SIMPLE PHYSICS! Why do you think they have to let doors, frames, stair parts, etc. sit in the home to acclamate to temperature and humidity conditions before they are put on the house?

There are other causes than just shrinkage/expansion. Sometimes they can just pop out because they weren't put in properly. Nails aren't the best thing to use to hold something into place. This is why SCREWS are used in commerical construction.

Now if you still think temperature doesn't have any effect... perhaps you should call my boss, Tim Leadbetter, and ask him.

He was recognized as one of the PROFESSIONAL BUILDERS OF THE YEAR in 1991 by the Giant 400, and was recognized by the Secretary of HUD for achievement a few years later. Give Tim a call at 704.618.1200, I'm sure he will be able to explain it to you.
Saved by the moderator!! C'mon Charlotte calm down, this is not personal.

The truss uplift issue was raised by you, not me, I responded to your point.

Physics...I'm aware of it; so if you want to split hairs physics will show you a drying stud will experience more physiological change than one subjected to changing temp. hence more potential for nail pop. Anyway, I thought I had ceded the point on temperature in my last post, go back and read the post.

The many people reading threads like this one for insight on what builders do are entitled to what the most recent best practices are. A little knowledge can empower or at least make some more comfortable as they interact with their builder. A more educated consumer will move builders such as the subject of this thread to either get its act together or fade away. It's not school but it's a starting point and hopefully cause some to search for the info available to them.

You state,"But if you want to get all technical... fine". Yes, I do get all technical. It's a technical business and that's what so many builders hide behind. It is a sad indictment of this business that so many people come away from the experience so dissatisfied after investing so much. Raising peoples awareness is what I am attempting to do here. Just hope I don't lose em being so long winded.

You make the interesting point that nails are not the best tool to hold something in place, and refer to screws in commercial construction. I agree,nails are a poor choice, pls don't tell me screws are not used exclusively in residential there. Buyers, here's something technical, ask your builder why is he not using screws to attach your drywall to the frame, does he glue exterior sheathing to framing to further the integrity of the building envelope. Green practices? 24 on center framing?
Here are some interesting websites.....www. energystar.gov.....www. buildingscience.com.....www. advancedenergy.org

Don't need to call Tim, I'm sure he's a very knowledgeable fellow and he stays current in what the Building Science community makes available. Hope so, a lot has changed since 1991.

Last edited by PaulieM; 01-27-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte