Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
Sears Outlet on South Blvd in the Carolina Pavillion. I got a Fisher and Pyker washer and dryer both for under $800. Don't go cheap in brand and don't buy used....that's gross.
How is it gross to buy a used washer & dryer

A person has to wash some serious nastiness since the appliance uses soap and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default a word about stacker dryers

IF---you have a need for a stacker washer/dryer (maybe space requirement) let me give you a tip:
I bought 3 of them this summer for a renovation job I was doing and I found out that the newer models are wired/manufactured(?) in such a way that if one part of the combo goes out the whole unit doesn't go down. So, I guess you can wash and then dry in the sun until the dryer is repaired or dry your favorite pet in the dryer while your washer is being repaired.

This post my friends is one of the problems of getting old...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
...dry your favorite pet in the dryer...

Maybe if they can run fast enough, like a hamster on a wheel, it'd be OK.

:

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
Sears Outlet on South Blvd in the Carolina Pavillion. I got a Fisher and Pyker washer and dryer both for under $800. Don't go cheap in brand and don't buy used....that's gross.
Gross? LOL

The economy of this country is going to change a lot of ideas about what is and isn't acceptable - and what is "gross."

It hasn't been that many years ago that buying used appliances was how we all started out - it was quite acceptable and wise. We saved up our pennies and paid cash back in the 70s, b/f credit flowed like water.

If it seems "gross" to use someone else's clothes washer, simply fill up the tub with hot water, detergent and a hefty dousing of bleach, and run it thru/ a full cycle.

There may be a time lots of things folks consider "gross" today may be the standard operating procedure in the near future, if the cost of goods skyrockets and the unemployment rate stays at 10%.

Nothing wrong with buying used ANYTHING if it fits your budget and the item fills the bill w/ performance.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Gross is used underwear... LOL.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Gross is used underwear... LOL.
^ ^ ^ That. Agree.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Such timely news for this subject

Whirlpool washer/dryer announced yesterday the closing of 2 plants, laying off 5000 people, and no strong advertising price promotions in Nov and Dec. Can't sell these things.

Today's WSJ.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
My suggestions in order of preference:

1. New. I haven't checked pricing recently, but I paid a bit more than OP's budget for a basic Maytag set, on closeout, 11 years ago. So I think $750 is only going to buy a very basic set of new machines.

2. Scratch and dent (unused) from a dealer. There are places like Plaza Appliance/Brandsmart on Monroe near Sharon Amity that have entire showrooms of slightly damaged goods. Who cares if there's a ding on the washer? Any place that sells appliances will have S&D pieces.

3. Used appliance stores. In driving around I notice there are more of these in ethnic shopping centers. Deals can be found if you know what you're looking for.

4. Used from cl or other peer-to-peer selling sites. You are taking a risk, but the price is usually right. The two laundry sets I bought when I was apartment hopping were used, and I had no problems with them.

No reason to not buy used. Look and smell for mold/mildew, in the tub and at the drain. Bleach will take care of most of it, but if it's really bad, you may want to keep looking.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Check your local Lowe's (plenty around Charlotte) and take a look at their Clearance area. Always has some washers and dryers there that could be in your range.

Buying a used appliance isn't a big deal or gross. Many people just upgrade their existing with something newer/fancier when there is nothing wrong with their older units so you gotta get rid of them somehow.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 AM

179 posts, read 399,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Gross? LOL

The economy of this country is going to change a lot of ideas about what is and isn't acceptable - and what is "gross."

It hasn't been that many years ago that buying used appliances was how we all started out - it was quite acceptable and wise. We saved up our pennies and paid cash back in the 70s, b/f credit flowed like water.

If it seems "gross" to use someone else's clothes washer, simply fill up the tub with hot water, detergent and a hefty dousing of bleach, and run it thru/ a full cycle.

There may be a time lots of things folks consider "gross" today may be the standard operating procedure in the near future, if the cost of goods skyrockets and the unemployment rate stays at 10%.

Nothing wrong with buying used ANYTHING if it fits your budget and the item fills the bill w/ performance.
I'm not saying that everything used is gross. I've bought used video games, used tables, my home was used, my cars were used...just a washer is gross to me because people stick their dirty,sweaty,muddy clothes. I can just imagine a proper pair of tighty whities with shi* stains in the back and all kinds up front, multiply that by a couples of years along with some baby throw up and you got yourself a nice "clean washer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte