Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Could you please suggest good grocery stores or farmers markets in Charlotte area which sell fresh vegetables and fruits?

Thanks in Adavnce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Atherton market in the South End and the Matthew's Farmers Market are the only two I trust. You have to really watch around here. Many of the markets have the exact same produce trucked in from all over the country that you would find at the regular supermarket. Talk to the farmers, check labels and make sure you are buying local. You can also look into co-ops. That way you are guaranteed that the food is local.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk_atlanta View Post
Hi,

Could you please suggest good grocery stores or farmers markets in Charlotte area which sell fresh vegetables and fruits?

Thanks in Adavnce.
How far out from Charlotte, & in which direction are you interested in looking?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM

184 posts, read 467,391 times
I agree with the Atherton and Matthews FM recs. I also like Healthy Home Market on South Blvd. (it's near Atherton). They carry local eggs, bread and meats. But their produce can be meh. I think the freshest, organic, grocery store produce can be found at Earth Fare. They're located near SouthPark mall and Johnston & 485. Harris Teeter's organic selection is hit or miss and Trader Joe's is well, abysmal.

I haven't been to the Fresh Market in a while, but there's one on Providence & Fairview and another on 51.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM

763 posts, read 822,171 times
There is one where Beatty's Ford Road runs into #73. And, there is a market in Davidson on Saturdays. Also, there is one on Kings Road just west and across the road from Trader Joes.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM

156 posts, read 407,819 times
We buy a lot at the Davidson Farmers' Market: Davidson Farmers Market

Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,963 times
North Carolina farmers market directory at Farmers Market Online

Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
amp

Also there is a new market comming near the light rail and imaginon - its called the 7th street market, it was in the paper.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
There is one where Beatty's Ford Road runs into #73. And, there is a market in Davidson on Saturdays. Also, there is one on Kings Road just west and across the road from Trader Joes.
The Kings Dr. farmer's market has a huge variety of produce, but I've found I cannot tell what was locally grown, and what was trucked in. (pineapples? trucked in.) I know some farmers supplement their income by bringing in outside produce to sell, but I don't like not knowing what was grown here, and what came from across the country. When I asked a couple of the sellers there, I got one eye-roll with "the peaches are local" and one "I'm sorry, I don't know, I just help them with selling".

So I stick with Atherton and Matthews, as well.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The Kings Dr. farmer's market has a huge variety of produce, but I've found I cannot tell what was locally grown, and what was trucked in. (pineapples? trucked in.) I know some farmers supplement their income by bringing in outside produce to sell, but I don't like not knowing what was grown here, and what came from across the country. When I asked a couple of the sellers there, I got one eye-roll with "the peaches are local" and one "I'm sorry, I don't know, I just help them with selling".

So I stick with Atherton and Matthews, as well.
Atherton and Matthews are definately the way to go for local and your right a lot of the others are resellers, especially the large one near the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte