Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

I would probably jump the fence and take them in myself! Obviously this person has NO CLUE on how to treat animals and shouldn't have them. I'd take pics of everything first so I have proof of why I did what I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Did you read it?

Crating caution!
A crate isn't a magical solution. If not used correctly, a dog can feel trapped and frustrated.
  • Never use the crate as a punishment. Your dog will come to fear it and refuse to enter it.
  • Don't leave your dog in the crate too long. A dog that’s crated day and night doesn't get enough exercise or human interaction and can become depressed or anxious. You may have to change your schedule, hire a pet sitter, or take your dog to a doggie daycare facility to reduce the amount of time he must spend in his crate every day.
  • Puppies under six months of age shouldn't stay in a crate for more than three or four hours at a time. They can't control their bladders and bowels for that long. The same goes for adult dogs that are being housetrained. Physically, they can hold it, but they don’t know they’re supposed to.
So they aren't saying it's OK to crate a dog all day, 5 days a week, or that it's OK for a puppy "with a pea size bladder" to be left all day in a crate either.

I don't think people who work full time and won't invest in either a dog flap/fenced yard or a pet sitter should own dogs. It's not fair.

I use my crate responsibly and never thought of it as a magical solution. I have read the Humane society's info on the topic. When I am home he is not in it and I do not rely on it for potty training. He took to the crate the first day I brought him home at 4 months but it was only for a few hours at a time. He is now six months and very much well adjusted. I got him from the Humane Society and this was discussed before I brought him home I also consulted the vet. Therefore I am not an uninformed person. Personally I do not believe in dogs living outside. As for a flap he is too big and it can be an invitation for intruders, pet sitters, unless they are intruders no one comes in my house when I am not home unless I really know them so that is not an option. I have a fenced in yard that was installed just because we got him.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 AM

183 posts, read 383,893 times
If the poodles are toys, why the concern? Tss Tss.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 AM

368 posts, read 945,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think your sticking your nose wear it doesnt belong just because someone says its a lap dog whatever that means there no requirement what dogs are to be inside or out. If they have fur on their skin they will be fine and as Ani said they may get under deck etc.

They could have a pet allergy, baby or just want an outside dog.

You state they are nice people but they probably will not be after you meet with and think your a nosey neighbor good luck with that.
Demonstrably wrong, and what the owner wants is irrelevant if it negatively affects the health/well-being of the dog. If you have a pet allergy, don't get a pet. If you want an outside dog, get one that's bred to live outside.

brb i want an English Bulldog, but i have a pet allergy and want an outside dog, so ill just leave him outside in the summer so he can stroke out.

strong logic.

We have two chihuahuas who spend most of their time snuggled together in a dog bed sharing bodyheat under an electric heating blanket. They go outside just long enough to use the bathroom, then immediately scurry back inside once they're done. They hate the cold. If forced to spend their lives outdoors, they would either freeze to death or be so miserable they would pray to freeze to death, which by your standards, would be fine since they have fur.

I really hope you don't own an animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Steal those dogs.

I've done it before and would again.
I would have zero problem with this if the dogs appeared to be unhappy. Anyone who would is either a coward, or too ignorant to understand our responsibility as humans and breeders of "lesser" animals to also protect them.

I might consider calling animal control first, but anyone who has to be told that you can't keep a dog outside in the cold if it's unhappy and without shelter is clearly too inept to properly care for one in the first place.

Last edited by BBSLM; 11-03-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . it's better to just throw them out in the cold?

I know . . . you don't mean that at all, lol. My point is . . . it doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition - either they are crated or they are thrown out in the cold.

However, it appears that is what has occurred in the OP's neighbor's household. I suspect they feel it is more humane to let them stay outside than crate them inside for the day.
Perhaps Animal Control could suggest some way of better caring for their animals. So a call to AC might be the solution . . . but I suspect anyone who is doing this type of thing with little doggies (not providing them w/ adequate, warm, dry shelter outside) . . . isn't gonna change their ways. They will just have the dogs nuked.

So a call to Animal Control is probably gonna end up with nuked doggies and neighbors who are not on speaking terms for the rest of their lives.
No I didn't mean that!
I don't agree with dogs being crated all day or thrown outside with no adequate shelter.
I suspect they feel it is more humane to let them stay outside than crate them inside for the day.

I don't think there's a lot of "feeling" or "thinking" going on with these owners-they are left out all night!
I think for a larger (non-lap!) dog being outside with adequate shelter/warmth may be a better option than being crated all day, but haven't looked at any info about this.

If you really think the dogs will be nuked then maybe the better option is to have the dogs disappear during the night- as someone else suggested
Otherwise if the OP was there when AC came then they could "rescue" the dogs from AC and take them to the local humane society.

Not doing anything about the situation isn't an option as far as I see it. The dogs are outside getting cold and may end up dying anyway.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
"Pea size bladder" is an expression.

If someone is properly crate training with the ultimate goal of not having to rely on the crate in the future, then your argument is a non-issue. I, or anyone else that is properly crate training, don't have to answer to anyone that is anonymous on the web and says otherwise about our training. You can't judge how someone is progressing with their own dog without first hand, real life experience. Obviously, my method works as I have a long history of dogs that have graduated from successful crate training.

As for installing doggie door / fenced yard. There are situations / households / neighborhoods that this is NOT an option. First, if you have a breed is a sought after / stolen breed (Boxers have a high rate of being stolen from yards, so do other purebred breeds). Having a doggie door is also a liability for home invasion. It is an easy access to your locked house for potential thieves while you are at work.
Now you're twisting words. As for the pea sized bladder of course I didn't take it literally but used it to come to the conclusion that having a small bladder and having to hold urine for 8 hours would probably become uncomfortable for him.
If someone is properly crate training with the ultimate goal of not having to rely on the crate in the future, then your argument is a non-issue
No-The humane society says that a dog (whether in the training process or not)shouldn't be left in a crate for "too long" which I agree is vague, however, for a puppy it said no more than 3-4 hrs.
You didn't specify that you had the flexibility to come home from and let him out of the crate after a few hours several times a day , and if you did then I don't understand why you seem to be defending your decsion to use a crate, or reacting so strongly to me posting what the HS says about crating.
Nor did you say that he was 6 months old and "that he is too big for a flap" (which I find hard to believe as our neighbors have one for a large dog that's Rotweiller cross).
Sounds like you did everything perfectly.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:24 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
We need to bring in squirrels and other mammals too. They're small and don't have much fur!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
save the children... errr dogs.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
We need to bring in squirrels and other mammals too. They're small and don't have much fur!
Squirrels have the capability of building small body-heat-holding nests. I don't know if poodles can do the same thing, if they would still have that instinct - or, if they did, if this particular back yard has the materials to do so. (tall grass, leaves, etc.)

Most squirrels have plenty of fur. I've seen poodles with plenty, too, but I've also seen poodles with very thin fur; you could see their skin through it.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
1. Squirrels fatten themselves up before winter
2. Squirrels have quite a bit of fur in porportion to their body size
3. Squirrels can build their own nests
4. Squirrels are wild animals, toy poodles are domesticated animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte