U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,616,717 times

Advertisements

Democratic convention officials say companies that employ nonunion workers are allowed to win contracts for projects leading up to the event. They rejected the claim of a Charlotte printer who says he was told that only union companies would be employed.

read more Democrats say nonunion labor will be allowed for convention projects
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM

763 posts, read 647,296 times
The whole thing should be in the interest of the taxpayer in the area. It would benefit the taxpayer to hire the most least expensive contractor that will meet the standards required within the contract. This process should be both union affilitation and color blind. It is all about getting the best bang for the buck regardless of who does it. I want my tax investments protected.

I am pleased that this this is an indication of a tentative attempt for "equal opportunity" opposed to the initial claim by the DNC that they would be a push for union and minority contractors/sub-contractors.

Hopefully what they say and what they do are not different. We'll see.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM

11,783 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
The whole thing should be in the interest of the taxpayer in the area. It would benefit the taxpayer to hire the most least expensive contractor that will meet the standards required within the contract. This process should be both union affilitation and color blind. It is all about getting the best bang for the buck regardless of who does it. I want my tax investments protected.

I am pleased that this this is an indication of a tentative attempt for "equal opportunity" opposed to the initial claim by the DNC that they would be a push for union and minority contractors/sub-contractors.

Hopefully what they say and what they do are not different. We'll see.
you get what you pay for

don't be surprised if the least expensive ends up going over budget or has a ton of mistakes or cuts corners.

Also have to wonder if the least expensive = the crew with the most illegals.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 AM

310 posts, read 592,166 times
I'd rather have more of my tax dollars go towards paying LOCAL, LEGAL CITIZENS in and around the Charlotte Metro area. Keep the union laborers out of my state, please. They can find work where they're from, or simply sit around and collect pay, as many unions are apt to do.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,999 times
Tax dollars? Umm.... Our tax dollars don't go to the Democratic National Commitee.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you get what you pay for

don't be surprised if the least expensive ends up going over budget or has a ton of mistakes or cuts corners.

Also have to wonder if the least expensive = the crew with the most illegals.
I have tons of hands-on experience as a managing director in all fascets of contracting both pre awards and post awards. The key to ensuring a good contract agreement is having specifications that are precise and specific. Therefore, when a contractor bids for the project, he can be fired for default if he doesn't adhere the specification.

Additionally, a good contract agreement has a clause that specifies a monetary limit to any excess expenses, ie. rise in cost of materials occuring since the onset of the contract. A good contract will also have a clause that makes the person that has been awarded the contract monetarially liable for not meeting deadlines that have been established and agreed upon.

If the contract administrator is good, he will not confront the issues that you mentioned, but if he does, he can remedy them without red tape. A contract can specify that undocumented workers will absolutely not be used in the execution of the contracted project.

For $50K I will make myself available.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I'd rather have more of my tax dollars go towards paying LOCAL, LEGAL CITIZENS in and around the Charlotte Metro area. Keep the union laborers out of my state, please. They can find work where they're from, or simply sit around and collect pay, as many unions are apt to do.
My sympathies exactly.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Tax dollars? Umm.... Our tax dollars don't go to the Democratic National Commitee.

You don't think that any of your city taxes went towards getting the DNC to come to Charlotte? Do you think that the DNC will pay 100% of the costs involved in updating the arena?

I don't know if there will be much profit in having the DNC in Charlotte. I certainly hope that there is a good side to having it here other than publicity. But, there has already been a significant cost that was involved in selling the DNC on coming here. This wasn't paid out of Mayor Fox's pocket.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Therefore, when a contractor bids for the project, he can be fired for default if he doesn't adhere the specification.

Yeah sure, THEN what happens when the contractor can't finish a job because he's in over his head?

Lowest cost isn't always the best option...

say the contractor gets thrown off the job, then you have to find another contractor and there's a ton of cost to finish the job correctly..

I deal w/this all the time in the construction business. No matter how well the specs are written, alot of times you get bids from people who have no business bidding certain projects....(ie resi guys bidding commercial jobs..)

just my .02...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,639,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Your tax dollars went to bail out Wall St. which is bankrolling the Obama campaign, so in an indirect way yes your tax dollars do go to the DNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or