U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,016 posts, read 41,228,267 times
Reputation: 18809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is that due to a lack of funds or using the funds for other projects and never paying the fund back?

Most funds are solvent but the gov misuses those funds.. then turns around and says the teachers, unions etc are breaking the bank.
It is the pensions that are breaking the banks.

 
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
 
4,769 posts, read 5,097,090 times
Reputation: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Folks in this town evidently have a different vision of what this city should be, but my tax $$ is helping to underwrite those programs and plans. I only have one choice: to move somewhere that I feel my tax dollars are being used correctly, for the majority of citizens and overall welfare of all the citizens, not being funneled for the perpetuation of gubment handouts to those who don't even contribute to the tax base, yet are sucking up the resources.
Links and specific examples please...
 
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,488,935 times
Reputation: 2047
The amount of blind ignorance and lack of real world logic in this thread is astonishing.

What on earth is so difficult about having to prove who you are??? A social security number, a voter ID, a driver's license, a damn utility bill. You have to do it in every other instance regarding government services and NOBODY FREAKING COMPLAINS!!! Yet showing proof to vote the same officials into office, the same guys who govern those services, you don't need to show who you are?????

Are you guys serious???? The same batch who screamed up and down that George Bush won unfairly back in 2000 and screamed about reforming the ballots so that mess doesn't happen again (even though it was shown by several independent media outlets who conducted their own count that Bush had indeed won). THAT'S when it's okay to complain about the voting process...when their guy loses.

Thegonagle brings up that it's a constitutional right to vote. He got that part right, but whiffed everywhere else. It's also a constitutional right to bear arms but YOU HAVE TO SHOW PROOF OF WHO YOU ARE TO PURCHASE ONE!!!!! NOBODY COMPLAINS THERE!!!!!!!!!

Good flippin' grief. I can't believe there are posts here accusing someone of losing their mind, a battered women's shelter, a dude who may have had his wallet stolen on the way to the voting booth, and the potential for a bunch of felons turning in a mastermind. And just because BigA doesn't do it, then nobody else does. It can't possibly happen.

And some of you guys are placing the blame on Wall Street for the mess we're in?





So far none of you..absolutely none of you... are willing to tackle my question with a simple one word yes or no: If your guy lost an election due to voter fraud, would you say the system worked??

I'd love for it to come out that some elected official (I honestly don't care if it were REP or DEM) funneled some of his own campaign funds into a special interest group who in turn hired a bunch of folks to go out and work the system. Win or lose, doesn't matter...just work the voting system using campaign funds. Let the occupy movement sit and stew over that one.

But then again BigA doesn't funnel money into special interest groups. It can't possibly happen.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 11-09-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: No real reason. Just wanted to get another facepalm in here.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
 
2,175 posts, read 2,422,750 times
Reputation: 1447
I think your response is spot on. I'm a Dem. I moved here 7 years ago and voted for McCrory. I supported him in the Gov race too. Foxx was very similar to McCrory. Making every election a Dem vs Repub issue is just silly.


You can't have a reasonable cilvilazed discussion when you sink to the lowest common denom. And nonsense like calling government - gubment (or however you spell it) says a lot about who you listen to for news and commentary. It really isn't a complimentary statement either


Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
During the McCrory years that I actually lived in Charlotte, I voted for him. Even during the years that I was not in Charlotte, I followed his politics and I supported him. For me (an independent that leans left) it is all about the issues. McCrory is pro-growth, pro-uptown, pro-mass transit while maintaining Charlotte's family feel. How is Foxx any different? Stone on the other hand is anti-mass transit and was very vocal about this. Why on Earth would 70% of the city (county to be exact) vote against a transit tax repeal back in 2007 just to elect a guy like Stone 4 years later? Makes no sense. The voters here are a bit more informed than some republicans give us credit for.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,488,935 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You can't have a reasonable cilvilazed discussion when you sink to the lowest common denom. And nonsense like calling government - gubment (or however you spell it) says a lot about who you listen to for news and commentary. It really isn't a complimentary statement either
I guess using the word "denom" would qualify as well, right?

And turning a blind eye to voter shenanigans....at least until it affects your guy.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
 
2,175 posts, read 2,422,750 times
Reputation: 1447
I'm not reading all the pages of responses. But the fact remains. Voter ID laws are being proposed as a method to supress voter participation.

How does an ID prove you are not a convict? It doesn't.
How does it prove you are a citizen? It doesn't.
How does it prove the ID is valid? It doesn't.

What it does do it add a barrier to people that are poor and/or people that live in rural areas and the elderly. It impacts people that can't take off work to go get an id, don't have the $$ of time to order a birth certificate, don't have transportation, are ill or homebound. I would guess by the fact that you are responding to these posts that you don't fit any of those groups.

It is a serious issue that deserves a lot more than name calling and over used sterotypes. I'm still looking for the study that shows voter fraud. 53 votes out of how many thousand doesn't mean anything to me without context. Where these mail in votes, early voters, same name mistakes? Context - not inflamatory argument.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The amount of blind ignorance and lack of real world logic in this thread is astonishing.

What on earth is so difficult about having to prove who you are??? A social security number, a voter ID, a driver's license, a damn utility bill. You have to do it in every other instance regarding government services and NOBODY FREAKING COMPLAINS!!! Yet showing proof to vote the same officials into office, the same guys who govern those services, you don't need to show who you are?????

Are you guys serious???? The same batch who screamed up and down that George Bush won unfairly back in 2000 and screamed about reforming the ballots so that mess doesn't happen again (even though it was shown by several independent media outlets who conducted their own count that Bush had indeed won). THAT'S when it's okay to complain about the voting process...when their guy loses.

Thegonagle brings up that it's a constitutional right to vote. He got that part right, but whiffed everywhere else. It's also a constitutional right to bear arms but YOU HAVE TO SHOW PROOF OF WHO YOU ARE TO PURCHASE ONE!!!!! NOBODY COMPLAINS THERE!!!!!!!!!

Good flippin' grief. I can't believe there are posts here accusing someone of losing their mind, a battered women's shelter, a dude who may have had his wallet stolen on the way to the voting booth, and the potential for a bunch of felons turning in a mastermind. And just because BigA doesn't do it, then nobody else does. It can't possibly happen.

And some of you guys are placing the blame on Wall Street for the mess we're in?





So far none of you..absolutely none of you... are willing to tackle my question with a simple one word yes or no: If your guy lost an election due to voter fraud, would you say the system worked??

I'd love for it to come out that some elected official (I honestly don't care if it were REP or DEM) funneled some of his own campaign funds into a special interest group who in turn hired a bunch of folks to go out and work the system. Win or lose, doesn't matter...just work the voting system using campaign funds. Let the occupy movement sit and stew over that one.

But then again BigA doesn't funnel money into special interest groups. It can't possibly happen.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,488,935 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm not reading all the pages of responses. But the fact remains. Voter ID laws are being proposed as a method to supress voter participation.

How does an ID prove you are not a convict? It doesn't.
How does it prove you are a citizen? It doesn't.
How does it prove the ID is valid? It doesn't.

What it does do it add a barrier to people that are poor and/or people that live in rural areas and the elderly. It impacts people that can't take off work to go get an id, don't have the $$ of time to order a birth certificate, don't have transportation, are ill or homebound. I would guess by the fact that you are responding to these posts that you don't fit any of those groups.

It is a serious issue that deserves a lot more than name calling and over used sterotypes. I'm still looking for the study that shows voter fraud. 53 votes out of how many thousand doesn't mean anything to me without context. Where these mail in votes, early voters, same name mistakes? Context - not inflamatory argument.

And yet you didn't answer my yes or no question.

Believe me, I saw that coming, too.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
 
2,175 posts, read 2,422,750 times
Reputation: 1447
Seriously? Are you saying gubment is a typo? You know better.

And having participated in the actual voting process from the board of election Pov, there is no evidence of shenangians. Most people take there jobs very seriously and have tremendous respect for the process. And I stand by that even when my guy doesn't win. Actually, there is more evidence of "shenanigans" but members of the BOE across the country than of individual voter misconduct.

And Brian, I did answer your question in my earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I guess using the word "denom" would qualify as well, right?

And turning a blind eye to voter shenanigans....at least until it affects your guy.

Last edited by baybook; 11-09-2011 at 12:34 PM..
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,488,935 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Seriously? Are you saying gubment is a typo? You know better.

And having participated in the actual voting process from the board of election Pov, there is no evidence of shenangians. Most people take there jobs very seriously and have tremendous respect for the process. And I stand by that even when my guy doesn't win. Actually, there is more evidence of "shenanigans" but members of the BOE across the country than of individual voter misconduct.
And you still haven't answered my yes or no question.
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,488,935 times
Reputation: 2047
Ahhh let me toss this one around...

Voter ID laws are good protection against fraud - The Washington Post

Quote:
One of the most brazen cases of voter fraud occurred in a state representative race in Kansas City, Mo., last year. It was a Democratic primary between J.J. Rizzo and Will Royster in a district where the victor was certain to win the general election. Rizzo received about 50 votes illegally cast by citizens of Somalia. The Somalis, who didnít speak English, were coached to vote for Rizzo by an interpreter at the polling place. Rizzo ended up winning by one vote.

In another example, an 18-month study by Minnesota Majority found that 341 felons in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area illegally voted in the 2008 election. Compared with the 2.7 million votes cast in the state, 341 seems insignificant. But after the recount of the U.S. Senate race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken, Frankenís margin of victory was only 312 votes. The illegal votes cast by felons were not discovered until after the recount, making 341 an awfully significant number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top