U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM

35,621 posts, read 44,000,271 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte Observer reports that Republicans have not turned out to vote in early voting.

Early voter turnout down in Charlotte; Democrats dominating so far | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/03/2743629/charlotte-election-early-voter.html - broken link)

Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM

13,209 posts, read 13,287,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The Charlotte Observer reports that Republicans have not turned out to vote in early voting.

Early voter turnout down in Charlotte; Democrats dominating so far | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/03/2743629/charlotte-election-early-voter.html - broken link)
Ani, my guess is that a lot of Republicans are pretty ticked off with the legislature. On the other hand, maybe they will make a rush to the polls tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, my guess is that a lot of Republicans are pretty ticked off with the legislature. On the other hand, maybe they will make a rush to the polls tomorrow.
Well, if folks are ticked off, then they should be out voting, lol. I think maybe it is apathy b/c it is an off year election.

It always stuns me how folks forego the most precious right we have as American citizens - the right to vote in free elections.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 PM

4,898 posts, read 5,614,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

From the article:
Democrats are 66 percent of all early voters in the city of Charlotte

In 2008, 62% of Meck county voted for Obama.
North Carolina: Presidential County Results - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

It is not a surprise that the city of Charlotte has 4% more democrats than the county as a whole does. Most cities lean towards the blue (even the large cities in Texas are blue, though the state as a whole is red). IMO, there is not a "low voter turnout of republicans". It is my opinion that Charlotte is simply two-thirds democrats/independents.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM

8,211 posts, read 10,880,274 times
It irritates me that they report statistics like this, which can influence who does go and vote. Something like this will spur Republicans to vote while Democrats night think "Eh, I don't need to vote--other Dems have done it for me", etc.

Of course it's not as bad as calling races on election ngiht while polls are still open, but...

Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,770,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMO, there is not a "low voter turnout of republicans". It is my opinion that Charlotte is simply two-thirds democrats/independents.[/color]
I don't believe that's the point. It's not a matter of two thirds being dems and indies but the percentage of the one third (using your theory) registered republicans not coming out to vote.

If more than half of that one third doesn't show up to vote, it's a low republican turnout.

I don't see anything wrong with reporting this. It's not like being out in California or Hawaii and having presidential elections already decided before those polls even close. If it spurs the average citizen to get up off of his or her a$$ to vote, regardless of party affiliation, report it.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM

7,408 posts, read 4,106,570 times
there's really no need to vote early, it's not like there wil be big lines tomorrow

Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I don't believe that's the point. It's not a matter of two thirds being dems and indies but the percentage of the one third (using your theory) registered republicans not coming out to vote.

If more than half of that one third doesn't show up to vote, it's a low republican turnout.

I don't see anything wrong with reporting this. It's not like being out in California or Hawaii and having presidential elections already decided before those polls even close. If it spurs the average citizen to get up off of his or her a$$ to vote, regardless of party affiliation, report it.
Yes, and it is interesting to consider, seeing as how the "big" election is one year from now . . . Plus, you would think GOP, even moreso than DEMs, would be itching to turn out to "reclaim" seats lost since the 2008 election.

I find it worth watching.

But the main message still should be . . . regardless of party . . . get out there and vote, folks!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,683,819 times
Perhaps the Republicans forgot to bring their ID's and had to go back home

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM

763 posts, read 214,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
From the article:
Democrats are 66 percent of all early voters in the city of Charlotte

In 2008, 62% of Meck county voted for Obama.
North Carolina: Presidential County Results - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

It is not a surprise that the city of Charlotte has 4% more democrats than the county as a whole does. Most cities lean towards the blue (even the large cities in Texas are blue, though the state as a whole is red). IMO, there is not a "low voter turnout of republicans". It is my opinion that Charlotte is simply two-thirds democrats/independents.
That may prove not to be the case in next November. Iam an independent that will vote either party locally or state depending on the issues. It is much more likely that I will vote Repub. during national elections because the issues, ie. national security, crime, military, immigration, and jobs are more important to me and I tend to not be so liberal in those specific areas.

I believe that with the problems with ACORN and other rogue organizations like them that bought votes from illiterates, there will be a huge surge of republicans voting in 2012. Since the O-man didn't come through for the illegals, he may have lost tons of Mexican votes as well.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 11-08-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte