Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Considering affordability and safety, What side of town is best? (please add your comments)
North 2 7.69%
South 21 80.77%
East 1 3.85%
University 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 AM

12 posts, read 53,418 times

Advertisements

I'm moving back to Charlotte soon and I wasn't sure about the areas. I lived there for 2 years from 2003-2005 and I was on the West Side, which I didn't have any problems when I was there. I know that over the past years it has become really bad over there, so moving back is not an option for me!

I was told to stay away from the West side (of course), East side and the University area. 2 people told me to stay away from the East and 1 person told me to stay away from the University area.

I just need a decent and affordable place to live, it doesn't have to be perfect but I have to feel safe and in an area where the High School is not known for being one of the worst. (or a problem school). I would love to move to Ballantyne but it's not in my budget at the moment.

With that being said, I came across 2139 Madrid Street, 28216. Does anyone know about that area or any other areas that I need to stay away from? (zip codes would be helpful since I am googling all of this stuff until I can visit the area) And I also came across Village Lakes @ 2300 Village Lake Drive, 28212.

I was also advised that price and safety wise that the North side of Charlotte would be best! And a few people told me that the East side was ok. I need help!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback

Last edited by linajay; 11-06-2011 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times
East Charlotte is way too large an area to write off as "stay away from". Also I have lived in the University Area since I've been here and haven't had any problems. The only part that I would stay away from is the parts around Sugar Creek Rd and Tryon St south of the intersection with University City Blvd. I'm not even sure why those areas are considered part of the University Area.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,029 times
Your main problem will be schools. Stay away from Garringer which covers much of East Charlotte. There's a tiny part of Myers Park High school in East Charlotte - see feeder maps linked below.

East Mecklenburg High (which would be for Village Lake Drive) is ok ONLY if your child is in the IB program (so he/she has to be a very good student). Also Mallard Creek is fine.

Student Assignment Boundary Maps

Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 AM

"Your main problem will be schools."

YES IT IS....lol. I'm more concerned about the school that I'm going to put my son in. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by linajay; 11-07-2011 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM

"East Charlotte is way too large an area to write off as "stay away from". Also I have lived in the University Area since I've been here and haven't had any problems. The only part that I would stay away from is the parts around Sugar Creek Rd and Tryon St south of the intersection with University City Blvd. I'm not even sure why those areas are considered part of the University Area."

Thank you! Because I was leaning more towards those two areas (East and University) But thank you for your feedback!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 AM

763 posts, read 821,295 times
What may look walkable and safe during daylight may change at dark. My advice would be to drive around the areas you are considering at night to see what comes out then. I found a couple of areas that seemed really cool, but when I looked around that night, I was surprised.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Riding around at night is a good idea but I tried that in Philly and it still backfired on me. I rode around our place at night for a week at random times and all was quiet.

On the day we moved in there was a Paddy Wagon on our block with a big Italian guy in handcuffs threatening his wife and everyone on the block that he would be back real soon for revenge. Looking back on it I can laugh but at the time I was not happy at all....

I live in Cotswold and the area is great. Not sure why people are writing off East Charlotte but I guess everyone has a preference. I'm getting ready to move a little further down off of Monroe because I love the area. It's close to downtown and you don't have to ride Independence to get there...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linajay View Post
I'm moving back to Charlotte soon and I wasn't sure about the areas. I lived there for 2 years from 2003-2005 and I was on the West Side, which I didn't have any problems when I was there. I know that over the past years it has become really bad over there, so moving back is not an option for me!

I was told to stay away from the West side (of course), East side and the University area. 2 people told me to stay away from the East and 1 person told me to stay away from the University area.

I just need a decent and affordable place to live, it doesn't have to be perfect but I have to feel safe and in an area where the High School is not known for being one of the worst. (or a problem school). I would love to move to Ballantyne but it's not in my budget at the moment.

With that being said, I came across 2139 Madrid Street, 28216. Does anyone know about that area or any other areas that I need to stay away from? (zip codes would be helpful since I am googling all of this stuff until I can visit the area) And I also came across Village Lakes @ 2300 Village Lake Drive, 28212.

I was also advised that price and safety wise that the North side of Charlotte would be best! And a few people told me that the East side was ok. I need help!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback
I would be happy to send you a direct message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 AM

"Riding around at night is a good idea but I tried that in Philly and it still backfired on me. I rode around our place at night for a week at random times and all was quiet.

On the day we moved in there was a Paddy Wagon on our block with a big Italian guy in handcuffs threatening his wife and everyone on the block that he would be back real soon for revenge. Looking back on it I can laugh but at the time I was not happy at all....

I live in Cotswold and the area is great. Not sure why people are writing off East Charlotte but I guess everyone has a preference. I'm getting ready to move a little further down off of Monroe because I love the area. It's close to downtown and you don't have to ride Independence to get there..."

Sometimes riding around doesn't work. I've done it before. I'm not able to ride around at this point because I'm still out of state(GA). So I have to ask others (to minimize my driving time and gas) what areas are ok and which areas I shouldn't even consider! I'm hearing a lot of good things about Cotswold and East Charlotte. I'm noticing from all the comments that I'm getting from people on other sites that it is an ok area. So I'll check out Cotswold and the Monroe area. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,122 times
Sounds like safety for your son is paramount. If you can't afford Ballantyne, I would look into nearby towns instead of wasting valuable time, hunting for paradise within Mecklenburg. Remember how quick and easy CMS can reassign schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte