Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Didn't you know. Only republicans pay taxes and live in nice areas.
Actually, the history of NC is that Democrats hold tremendous wealth here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Obviously you either didn't read what I said or you just weren't able to comprehend. My comment was absolutely void of any race issue and focused on the concepts of the term "nice" in regards to nice neighborhoods and its meaning to different people. Maybe if UrbanCharlotte had used the term "safest" instead of "nicest" or "white", you would be happy?
I read and comprehended exactly what you wrote. Here, I'll quote it for you, so you can comprehend it as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
it was also mentioned in the OP that the nicest areas of Charlotte are where rich white people live.
Quote:
And you are saying it isn't?
Now I'm not sure how anyone can interpret your statement to mean anything other than what I responded to.

Fyi, Urbancharlotte isn't the OP, FranktheTank is. My beef isn't with him. And no, I wouldn't be happy with a poster who said that white areas are the safest, either. It's simply not true. I live in one of the safest, if not the safest, areas in Charlotte, and it is very, very diverse here. On my street alone I have neighbors who are black, Indian, Asian, Latino and white. There is no majority. Somehow we manage to get through the day without knifing each other in the streets, and our neighborhood school is racing to the top (it has only been here for two years).

I'm not going to respond to you again b/c I can't stand it when threads get hijacked by two posters who just want to argue. I can only assume that you are as new to the city of Charlotte as you are to City Data, so you don't understand the demographics of the city. I've read your posts on other threads, and it's clear to me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Charlotte.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I read and comprehended exactly what you wrote. Here, I'll quote it for you, so you can comprehend it as well:

Now I'm not sure how anyone can interpret your statement to mean anything other than what I responded to.

Fyi, Urbancharlotte isn't the OP, FranktheTank is. My beef isn't with him. And no, I wouldn't be happy with a poster who said that white areas are the safest, either. It's simply not true. I live in one of the safest, if not the safest, areas in Charlotte, and it is very, very diverse here. On my street alone I have neighbors who are black, Indian, Asian, Latino and white. There is no majority. Somehow we manage to get through the day without knifing each other in the streets, and our neighborhood school is racing to the top (it has only been here for two years).

I'm not going to respond to you again b/c I can't stand it when threads get hijacked by two posters who just want to argue. I can only assume that you are as new to the city of Charlotte as you are to City Data, so you don't understand the demographics of the city. I've read your posts on other threads, and it's clear to me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Charlotte.
First, where is the quote you were going to print? Secondly, I have mentioned before that I am a native of Charlotte but have traveled for decades. Lastly, I don't care who lives in your neighborhood.

Personal attacks are against message board rules.

P.S. You claim that white areas are not the safest. Do you care to tell me what area(s) are safer than white?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
First, where is the quote you were going to print? Secondly, I have mentioned before that I am a native of Charlotte but have traveled for decades. Lastly, I don't care who lives in your neighborhood.

Personal attacks are against message board rules.

P.S. You claim that white areas are not the safest. Do you care to tell me what area(s) are safer than white?
Where there is wealth regardless of race. Times are a changing you know, some of us r moving-on-up. White people aren't born with a nice-and-safe-gene, if so, it was dormant during slavery and the Jim Crowe years. Class usually dictates where crime occurs.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
safer than white? OMG!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Interesting that some of the wealthiest old-money "native" areas of Charlotte (Myers Park, Eastover, etc.) had a closer 50/50 split between Stone and Foxx than did the newer-money areas like Ballantyne. I would've thought the latter would be more "purple" in political views given the number of transplants.
I think the notion that transplants are somehow more liberal than native Charlotteans is a bit of a myth. The local business community has a long tradition of "business progressive" lobbying. Myers Park/Eastover folks have a long history of supporting liberal causes and attempting to reign in some of the more embarrassing factions of the right. (Remember the whole Angels in America thing)

On the other hand, "transplants" in Ballantyne (read white, upper middle class corporate employees) - those who are political - tend to vote like other white, upper-middle-class corporate employees.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
On the other hand, "transplants" in Ballantyne (read white, upper middle class corporate employees) - those who are political - tend to vote like other white, upper-middle-class corporate employees.
Well that's interesting. So how exactly do these corporate robots vote? Surely you are not going to tell me in NY, Boston, CT, MD etc they vote hardcore Republican.

It's never good to paint people with a broad brush.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-12-2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
So how exactly do these corporate robots vote? Surely you are not going to tell me in NY, Boston, CT, MD etc they vote hardcore Republican.

It's never good to paint people with a broad brush.
I was wondering the same thing. Actually, most of my friends who have corporate positions are registered Independent - and a few are registered GOP or DEM so they can vote in primaries. I am registered GOP to vote in primaries but would join the Libertarian party if I thought they could get a slate together that had a chance of winning, lol.

It is really interesting the way things have transpired w/ newcomers to this region. The history of the area is such that wealthy folks in the 20th C were more often registered DEM than GOP (here in NC). The aristocracy was almost always DEM. GOP didn't have a chance of electing folks to even state positions until the last 30 years of the 20th C, when the first GOP Gov was elected. GOP just got a toe hold in the area in the last 35 years.

Folks need to learn their history. Post Civil War, NC was DEM and remained that way, with few local exceptions in western NC, til the 70s. Even most Piedmont and WNC counties were strong DEM counties and even today, many counties would have a slim chance of getting a Republican elected.

People need to learn their history so they can understand the trends. Getting Republican candidates elected since 1865 was a nearly impossible feat until the late 60s.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Where there is wealth regardless of race. Times are a changing you know, some of us r moving-on-up. White people aren't born with a nice-and-safe-gene, if so, it was dormant during slavery and the Jim Crowe years. Class usually dictates where crime occurs.
So true. I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Folks need to learn their history. Post Civil War, NC was DEM and remained that way, with few local exceptions in western NC, til the 70s. Even most Piedmont and WNC counties were strong DEM counties and even today, many counties would have a slim chance of getting a Republican elected.
Historically, many North Carolina Democrats were white supremacists who opposed integration and civil rights. Nationally the Democratic Party was an odd collection of mostly southern conservatives and mostly northern liberals. In the 1960's and 1970's conservative Democrats followed Jesse Helms and other racial bigots to the Republican Party, leaving the Democrats with those who support tolerance, equality, and progress. The legacy of southern conservatism has moved to the Republican Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte