Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI -

I attempted to make reservations for McCormick & Schmick's for the past two days using Open Table - both locations, South Park and Uptown. It repeatedly indicated that SP didn't have any openings available for the next 30 days. Next available Uptown was Monday evening.

Not particularly shocking because I was trying to secure reservations for the V-Day special and M & S can be difficult to get into on a Sunday.

However, just for the heck of it I decided to call them directly. I opted for SP. They had three open reservations for Sunday. I was happy! I told the young man who took my reservation about my experience and while he expressed slight surprise, he didn't sound overly interested.

I just wanted to share because in the future, I wouldn't exclusively rely on what it says online. Even as I talked to the gentleman, the online system still indicated there were no open reservations. When in doubt, and if you really want to eat someplace, call the restaurant directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Many restaurants, especially popular ones, only set aside a subset of their tables to be made available on Opentable. Others restrict the number of tables during peak dining hours (e.g. Friday and Saturday evening). The reason is that restaurants have to pay Opentable a small fee for each diner who shows up to their restaurant, so if they're going to fill their restaurant anyway, why pay the fee? So yes, it's always a good idea to call if Opentable is booked out.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Many restaurants, especially popular ones, only set aside a subset of their tables to be made available on Opentable. Others restrict the number of tables during peak dining hours (e.g. Friday and Saturday evening). The reason is that restaurants have to pay Opentable a small fee for each diner who shows up to their restaurant, so if they're going to fill their restaurant anyway, why pay the fee? So yes, it's always a good idea to call if Opentable is booked out.
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to explain this to me!

I was thinking it wasn't functioning properly. The gentleman on the phone could have something to that effect. Duh.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
M&S just got bought by Landrys couple days ago, not sure if this could be a factor. McCormick & Schmick's; Landry's Restaurants; takeover - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I didn't know this service exists. What is the benefit of using it over calling the restaurant directly?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I didn't know this service exists. What is the benefit of using it over calling the restaurant directly?
Because it can be quite convenient. I've used it (usually the OpenTable app on my phone) to make reservations at restaurants without having to look up the number, or while sitting somewhere where calling was not an immediate option. And if your plans change, you can change your time with just a few clicks online.

Also, they have an option where you can just put in desired time and party size for a given metro area and it will show you all restaurants in their system that have availability for that many people around that time - which can be helpful if making reservations last minute: instead of calling around you can see what is open and what is not (noting the caveat mentioned about OT reserved tables someone mentioned above).

Not all restaurants are in the system - I had to call Basil directly yesterday to make dinner reservations there.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,684 times
Y'know I always like to talk to a restuarant where I am going to eat with freinds or family before I go there. The reason for this is that I like judge what sort of place it is by the telephone manner of whoever answers the phone. Several times I have made excuses after the initial conversation as to why I am sorry but I made a mistake and cannot book if I do not like the sound or manner of the voice on the other end of the phone.

If the restuarant is likely to be really crowded I probably will not book there since I know that the kitchen will be under pressure and the food may not be up to scratch. I have a dislike for stressed out waiters and other staff so I tend towards places that are somewhat less crowded.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Because it can be quite convenient. I've used it (usually the OpenTable app on my phone) to make reservations at restaurants without having to look up the number, or while sitting somewhere where calling was not an immediate option. And if your plans change, you can change your time with just a few clicks online.

Also, they have an option where you can just put in desired time and party size for a given metro area and it will show you all restaurants in their system that have availability for that many people around that time - which can be helpful if making reservations last minute: instead of calling around you can see what is open and what is not (noting the caveat mentioned about OT reserved tables someone mentioned above).

Not all restaurants are in the system - I had to call Basil directly yesterday to make dinner reservations there.
I like OpenTable also for the points you earn toward restaurant gift cards. I also like using the app when I am at a convention and need to make a bunch of big party reservations at the best local restaurants, it's easier to also make changes to number in party and read reviews. Once you use this app you will see how useful it is.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I like OpenTable also for the points you earn toward restaurant gift cards. I also like using the app when I am at a convention and need to make a bunch of big party reservations at the best local restaurants, it's easier to also make changes to number in party and read reviews. Once you use this app you will see how useful it is.
I must be more high falutin' than y'all. I ain't never needed no app at gettin' to Golden Corral. They let me sit wherever I want, and I gets ta pick my own food, 'stead a them bringin' me what they wantin' me ta eat. Sometimes I kin even get my fingers in that fancy chawklit fowntin they got 'fore they tell me I ain't sposed to be doin' that.

But they ain't got that fancy wine in a box, like I like.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Yeah, that's why we use it too. I like it but wish they had more casual restaurants participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte