U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 PM

68 posts, read 95,004 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for some help on taxes. We paid property taxes for both vehicles in February 2011. Then we sold one car and bought a new one in August and got a new license plate. Today we received another bill for property taxes. Is this legal? I already paid it once, how could they charge me second time? I could understand if they refund me for previous car and prorate this one, but two full charges for 2011? Is there a way to explain it them?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,052,213 times
I too just bought a car in September/October and the plate was transferred to it. I got a bill for taxes on the sold one. I keep saying I have to call and figure it out but keep forgetting. I will call on Monday and post with the results of the inquiry.
Are the taxes in arrears or are we payng for the coming year?? All of my experience with taxes were that they were billed in arrears.
P.S Late fees are attached if not payed by Dec 1st so there is still time to get it straight.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 PM

It says for 2011 year. But I already paid it in February, unless it was for 2010..??

I will call Monday as well...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
You could be hit with a prorate if the owner requested a partial refund. The biggest thing would be to find the last bill you paid. I pay the extra few bucks to get e-mail confirmation by paying by credit card.

Next, check your tags. If you got new tags when you bought the vehicle (I don't see how you wouldn't have) then I'd expect 2010 tags to match after that date for their processing time.

And I wouldn't call on a Monday. You can e-mail them which will pin them down answer wise.

taxmeck@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov

Q. I received a tax bill for a car I just purchased a few months ago. Why am I getting a tax bill? Didn't I pay this when I registered the car?
A.
When you purchase a car in North Carolina and register it for the first time, you pay state taxes, a road use fee, registration fee, tag and title fees. The tax bill from Mecklenburg County is for county and applicable municipal taxes. You pay this every year and the bill is produced approximately 3 to 4 months after you register or renew the tag for your vehicle. This bill covers a full year beginning with the date the license tag was registered to the date the license tag expires.

Registered Vehicles

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You could be hit with a prorate if the owner requested a partial refund. The biggest thing would be to find the last bill you paid. I pay the extra few bucks to get e-mail confirmation by paying by credit card.

Next, check your tags. If you got new tags when you bought the vehicle (I don't see how you wouldn't have) then I'd expect 2010 tags to match after that date for their processing time.

And I wouldn't call on a Monday. You can e-mail them which will pin them down answer wise.

taxmeck@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov

Q. I received a tax bill for a car I just purchased a few months ago. Why am I getting a tax bill? Didn't I pay this when I registered the car?
A.
When you purchase a car in North Carolina and register it for the first time, you pay state taxes, a road use fee, registration fee, tag and title fees. The tax bill from Mecklenburg County is for county and applicable municipal taxes. You pay this every year and the bill is produced approximately 3 to 4 months after you register or renew the tag for your vehicle. This bill covers a full year beginning with the date the license tag was registered to the date the license tag expires.

Registered Vehicles
Thank you,

I have credit card receipt for paying it for the old car. The thing I don't understand is how they entitle to collect taxes from 3 cars in a given year if I only had 2 cars in a given year? I think they should issue me a refund from the payment from my old car...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,160,796 times
Send them an email using the address above. I have used it a few times and got very good response. Government actually does work sometimes.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 PM

I just called. I paid registration in July which is different from taxes (duh). I bought a car in October and received a property tax bill for the old car. They said the bill goes with the tag and since I transferred tags I still have to pay the bill. Next year when the taxes are reassessed they may go up (probably will) or go down based on value of new vehicle.
Call 311 for info if needed. I usually get someone quickly when I call and I call in the evenings usually.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leksi View Post
It says for 2011 year. But I already paid it in February, unless it was for 2010..??

I will call Monday as well...

Unless taxes are paid twice a year. Some places do and some do not. I cannot remember paying earlier this year or not stiill trying to figure out the system here.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Unless taxes are paid twice a year. Some places do and some do not. I cannot remember paying earlier this year or not stiill trying to figure out the system here.
Our property taxes, including personal and real are due once per year.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Our property taxes, including personal and real are due once per year.
Thanks. It seemed as if I just paid car taxes not too long ago. Boy the year sure does go by quickly when it comes to taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte