U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

205 posts, read 571,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
There is also a fantastic bakery/coffee shop where the condo complex is located that I look at. It had just received some award for being in the top ten in the U.S. I went in and it was really cool. Inside, it looked as if you were in San Francisco or some other place represented by all nations. Worth a check out. It is about a half mile from central NoDa going towards the city on Davidson St. Food was baked and prepared there as well.
Thanks for the tip, may have to check it out sometime!

Quote:

For what it is worth, Obama was just there politicing.
You know, for some reason, that does not suprise me one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM

330 posts, read 932,544 times
Amelie's isn't even really in NoDa ... it is on 28th I think. I wouldn't try walking there at night from the main residential areas that are closer to 36th if I were you.

I had a bad experience living in NoDa. Really, really bad. Feel free to PM me.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post

You know, for some reason, that does not suprise me one bit.
Well it would surprise me... I never heard about Obama visiting Amelie's and politicking there.

What surprises me is how Obama visiting a pastry shop in Charlotte wouldn't surprise someone one bit.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well it would surprise me... I never heard about Obama visiting Amelie's and politicking there.

What surprises me is how Obama visiting a pastry shop in Charlotte wouldn't surprise someone one bit.

That whole area has an "artsy" [liberal] feel. A good place for him to be welcomed with open arms, that's all.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM

763 posts, read 645,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Amelies... and they are open 24/7/365

They were just invited to D.C. because they went from 3 or 4 employees to over 70 during the downturn. Washington want's to find out how they did it and how others can learn from their success.

My wife loves the place..I'm not big on sweets or pastries but I like the atmosphere. They had a violin player when we went in the last time and that was around 9PM.
It is very nice. I wish it was closer to where I live. There was an entertainer there the time I went as well. I may have to make it a Saturday morning coffee and pastry destination.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The owner was in washington two weeks ago to receive an award for her successful business and for being a leader in the "small business" arena. When Obama was in Charlotte, the shop was shown on the television along with the owner. I am pretty sure he wasn't there for the good pastries.
I am always glad to hear of a successful small business doing well and creating jobs. If you are implying Obama needs to take pointers from a small business owner in NoDa to figure out how to create jobs, I disagree.

Obama is a smart man; he knows exactly what he needs to do to create jobs. It is his politicial and social ideology that will not let him do what he needs to accomplish this. But then again this thread is not about jobs, it is about NoDa so I will save the discussion for another thread.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,419,558 times
I've lived there for a little over 10 years now and I am ready to get out. The main reason is I have more stuff than I have space. NoDa has improved steadily over the years but still faces the same issues as other upcoming neighborhoods. There is crime, there are drunks, there will be problems. But, you're not going to see anything worse in NoDa than in many other neighborhoods in Charlotte, Plaza-Midwood included. Most of the issues are property crime. Car break-ins, home break-ins, etc.

NoDa is close to downtown. There is good interstate access. The home prices are a little high, but not out in left field.

The one downside that bothers me the most is the newest scrapyard, Global Recycling. That place screws up traffic on North Tryon all day long. It has also increased the amount of people you see digging through trash cans on Monday mornings. If anything keeps NoDa from improving beyond what it is, the scrap yard could be one of the reasons. The upside is you will rarely see metal in the street because someone will pick it up.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM

763 posts, read 645,160 times
Quote:
\

Obama is a smart man; he knows exactly what he needs to do to create jobs. \.
I am sorry but something seems to be wrong with my computer.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,997,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Amelie's isn't even really in NoDa ... it is on 28th I think. I wouldn't try walking there at night from the main residential areas that are closer to 36th if I were you.

I had a bad experience living in NoDa. Really, really bad. Feel free to PM me.
Amelie's:
2424 NOrth DAvidson Street

Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 AM

185 posts, read 272,953 times
Quote:
I am always glad to hear of a successful small business doing well and creating jobs. If you are implying Obama needs to take pointers from a small business owner in NoDa to figure out how to create jobs, I disagree.

Obama is a smart man; he knows exactly what he needs to do to create jobs. It is his politicial and social ideology that will not let him do what he needs to accomplish this. But then again this thread is not about jobs, it is about NoDa so I will save the discussion for another thread.
Yes lets not forget "where we are"and i'll leave it at that

Back on topic, I wouldn't let my dog or say worst enemy move to Noda. With the exception of a few good restaurants like Cowfish and the wonderful 24/7 bakery many mentioned oh and the occasional open mic at the evening muse I wouldn't move there.

Maybe its just me but once you cross those train tracks on N.Davidson its like you enter so war torn type world. I remember asking myself the first time " Am I still in Charlotte?"
And when I finally got to NoDa I was like " this is it?!"

Its a shame to because 28th Ro would be such a bargain right now and a great investment down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or