Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM

763 posts, read 814,656 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want to live somewhere that you always have to be vigil. There is an area that spreads four of five blocks which are relatively safe, but overall, it is at the least, iffy. I believe in safety in numbers, but the four or five blocks that I am refering to is it. I am city savy. If I were a stoner, I wouldn't care and live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,637,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Why would anyone want to live somewhere that you always have to be vigil.
Because the benefits outweigh the risk? Because they're used to living in cities, and compared to where they're from, NoDa is a walk in the park? Because that's where they found community and friends?

Quote:
I am city savy. If I were a stoner, I wouldn't care and live there.
The reasons above are all reasons my friends live there - none of them are stoners. Though I do have stoner friends who live there, as well; they are more active in creating community and neighborhood activism than most people I know, myself included. They care, deeply.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,581,817 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to live somewhere that you always have to be vigil. There is an area that spreads four of five blocks which are relatively safe, but overall, it is at the least, iffy. I believe in safety in numbers, but the four or five blocks that I am refering to is it. I am city savy. If I were a stoner, I wouldn't care and live there.
some people aren't afraid of inner city people aka black people and prefer to live in industrial/transitioning areas....

It's no different then a place like Clinton Hill in Brooklyn, when my sister bought her place it was pretty rough but now it's booming. She will probably make 500K to 750K on an 89K investment.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Because the benefits outweigh the risk? Because they're used to living in cities, and compared to where they're from, NoDa is a walk in the park? Because that's where they found community and friends?

The reasons above are all reasons my friends live there - none of them are stoners. Though I do have stoner friends who live there, as well; they are more active in creating community and neighborhood activism than most people I know, myself included. They care, deeply.
I agree that everyone has his/her ideas of what is a great area, and I just gave mine. I am glad that everyone doesn't think like me. If I were a little younger, I would probably be more willing to live in NoDa, but now that I have acheved wealth, age, and fame (a little exageration) I prefer a less diverse crowd as I tend to be grouchy these days and less tollerant. I have graduated from the ideological me to the logical, more subtle me.

I truly hope that your friends are successful in developing a bigger NoDa. It is a fun place to visit, but I haven't seen very much success in that respect in a couple of years.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
some people aren't afraid of inner city people aka black people and prefer to live in industrial/transitioning areas....

It's no different then a place like Clinton Hill in Brooklyn, when my sister bought her place it was pretty rough but now it's booming. She will probably make 500K to 750K on an 89K investment.
I am not affraid. I have lived in NYC, San Francisco and many other places. In NoDa, you have three blocks going east/west where there are venues and two blocks going north/south for other venues. There isn't nearly enough there to attract me. I know that part of town. I am a native. I don't care to live anywhere that I have to look behind me after I leave the two or three blocks where activity exists. I simply would want to live in an area where securing my home would be a top priority.

I hope that NoDa developes, but at this time, I know people that moved there, were disappointed and left. If you live that close to uptown and can't walk there after sunset, it is like living on an island surrounded by sharks. And, I am a walker, I don't like to depend on my car or ride busses everywhere.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,801,059 times
Where is this fear of walking around NoDa coming from? I've walked all over the place after sunset and have never had a problem. I can't think of too many times I've heard anyone say anything about being held up or mugged. If someone is that afraid of black people, perhaps a gated community in Montana is more their speed.
It's true that the lighting sucks on Davidson Street. It's true that houses have been broken into. This is not exclusive to NoDa, or even black neighborhoods. Some people live in fear because they don't know any better. If anyone would like to go for a walk around NoDa after dark, let me know. We will stop for a couple beers and walk as much as you'd like.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM

564 posts, read 1,448,855 times
The wife and I went to NoDa this past Friday night. It has been a year or two since I was down there and was pleasantly surprised. All the people we encountered where friendly. We made it out in an upright position and our vehicle was perfectly fine with no broken windows or anything stolen. We had a great dinner and then desert at I think it was Amelia's. I would suggest the area to anyone without hesitation.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,581,817 times
Quote:
I am not affraid. I have lived in NYC, San Francisco and many other places. In NoDa, you have three blocks going east/west where there are venues and two blocks going north/south for other venues. There isn't nearly enough there to attract me. I know that part of town. I am a native. I don't care to live anywhere that I have to look behind me after I leave the two or three blocks where activity exists. I simply would want to live in an area where securing my home would be a top priority.

I hope that NoDa developes, but at this time, I know people that moved there, were disappointed and left. If you live that close to uptown and can't walk there after sunset, it is like living on an island surrounded by sharks. And, I am a walker, I don't like to depend on my car or ride busses everywhere.
replace afraid with less tolerant then..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM

185 posts, read 317,395 times
Quote:

ITA with the bolded.

And also last I checked Felt inner city = black people is not the case. There are people of all races that come from and live in the "inner city". I know you didnt mean it the way it came off but its still a tad messed up and can be offensive to some.

Point blank, Noda is just not there yet. I personally wouldn't recommend anyone live their........yet. I have high hopes even after Im long gone from Charlotte that it becomes a bustling, vibrant area of Charlotte that affords the city bragging rights. But Noda has a long way to go, period.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Where is this fear of walking around NoDa coming from? I've walked all over the place after sunset and have never had a problem. I can't think of too many times I've heard anyone say anything about being held up or mugged. If someone is that afraid of black people, perhaps a gated community in Montana is more their speed.
It's true that the lighting sucks on Davidson Street. It's true that houses have been broken into. This is not exclusive to NoDa, or even black neighborhoods. Some people live in fear because they don't know any better. If anyone would like to go for a walk around NoDa after dark, let me know. We will stop for a couple beers and walk as much as you'd like.
I never mentoned "blacks". You and Felt did. If you are trying to say that it is safe to walk to uptown at night from NoDa, you are in denial. You are not understanding my point, I am not talking about "NoDa" specifically, I am talking about safety after you walk away from NoDa. Let's not start some race card agenda. I am talking common sense. Any time you wish to prove your point and walk up Tryon or Davidson Street to uptown after 10:00pm, I will be happy to follow you in my car and video tape. I do not "fear" walking anywhere. I'm just not stupid.

I just use common sense and avoid places that aren't safe. If NoDa is big enough and exciting enough for you, I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte