U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 AM

820 posts, read 1,535,064 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor who had a Pom and a Hawk got to it. The Hawk lost its grip and not because the 2LB dog was too heavy. The family had major medical bills sewing up and treating the dog before it died from the injuries. Small dogs are prey for Hawks, Owls, and Coyotes. If you have a Hawk in the area, the area is part of its territory and it's hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 AM

116 posts, read 205,989 times
Definitely something to watch out for. In Winston Salem a Pomeranian was carried off by a hawk and was lucky to only loose a leg.
See youtube below:

Dog Carried Off By Hawk - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM

564 posts, read 1,255,503 times
I have a very small dog also and always have Hawks in my back yard. The hawks have even come up to our sliding glass door and scare the life out of our cat and dog. It happened this weekend. My wife is just as scared of the Hawk as the dogs are. I go out and scout around make some noise before we let him out. They can blend well and can hide two or three doors down and be hard to notice. I think as long as I am there he will stay away. Another issue in our area is Coyotes. We have seen then and hear then frequently around our neighborhood. Not sure how much of a problem but I do not want to take any chances.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM

11,749 posts, read 9,375,880 times
Get a bigger dog.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
I would go outside when the dog goes out and make some noise.
Listen to the birds if they seem fuzzy then the Hawk may be near.

We had issue with Owls in the Spring worrying they would get the outdoor Goldfish.
I think they was really after the new baby birds around the house since the birds where cutting a ruckus.
I went outside clap my hands hard and it sounds like a gun and Owl would disperse from the area.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
We have a neighbor who had a Pom and a Hawk got to it. The Hawk lost its grip and not because the 2LB dog was too heavy. The family had major medical bills sewing up and treating the dog before it died from the injuries. Small dogs are prey for Hawks, Owls, and Coyotes. If you have a Hawk in the area, the area is part of its territory and it's hunting.
Absolutely agree - my whole point is . . . my cat got away and it was a miracle the vets were able to save him, feisty feral fuzzball that he is. He had to have been dropped. A cat can possibly survive a drop; most dogs just won't, regardless of what other injuries.

If folks had seen the deep puncture wounds that my cat endured, you would know that an attack is NOT something you wanna allow to happen to your pets.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I worked hard to make my suburban (wooded w/ creek) backyard a wildlife habitat. I was thrilled that the red-shouldered hawk set up camp here, as well as an owl, many species of birds . . . plus the deer, an occasional fox . . . terrapins . . . Our suburbs have sandwiched wildlife habitat into small segments, and we have to figure out how to live in some sort of harmony. I fought the deer for several years, then decided - okay - they gotta have some space, too!

The coyotes are worrisome - and I think about rabies amongst the population of raccoons and foxes. Animal control has stopped by a few times over the years to see how I am doing. They even brought a separated newborn fawn here to see if her mom would find her and reclaim her (she did! and my whole family got to see the reunion!)

It is important we do what we can to live harmoniously with wildlife, but we also have to remember that our domesticated pets have to be protected as well. Don't be naive; birds of prey are called that for a reason, lol.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM

310 posts, read 591,938 times
My go to plan if the hawk is a confirmed threat to your pet is to end it as humanely as possible. But I'm dubious as to the legality of that method in the city of Charlotte. After scanning relevant laws, it would appear you are stuck having to call and deal with (the incompetent and always not on time in my experience) Animal Control department, assuming the hawk shows an interest in your dog.

Last edited by Mattman704; 11-16-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,035,339 times
Just recently, for the first time in my life, I've heard squirrels being taken by birds of prey. We have owls in our neighborhood, as well as a falcon. It's not a pleasant sound.

You might contact the Raptor Center to see if they have any recommendations to discourage the hawk from sticking around. I think killing should be a last resort (not to mention illegal) - they're important to maintain a balance, as well as being beautiful, fascinating creatures.

I had never thought about our kitty being attacked. I'll need to go out with her from now on! She's such a sweetie, I'd hate it if anything happened to her.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM

There is nothing Animal Control can do. Hawks have a right to their territory. And "my" red-shouldered hawk, for ex., altho not endangered in this state, is endangered, threatened or on special concern lists in various other states. They are magnificent creatures.

Birds of prey hang around an area b/c of the food supply. Domesticated animals are NOT their preferred diet! If you have squirrels and rabbits, those will be the items on the menu that are sought by a hawk. If you don't want hawks hanging around, you need to chase off the squirrels, chipmunks, moles, mice . . . but until a hawk is satisfied that there is no abundance of food in any given area . . . your small pets could be at risk.

Just take precaution as you would with a child. Don't leave your pets outside unattended.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte