U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM

310 posts, read 590,674 times

Advertisements

^This. Me personally, I never had to watch my dog when I let him out to do his business, due to a tall and sturdy fence and the fact that if a hawk or practically any other animal attacked or messed with him, I'd most likely be coming outside prepared to have a good laugh at my blood and guts covered buddy (RIP Buddy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM

196 posts, read 375,347 times
As I was sitting here reading these responses, I looked out the window as the bird flew onto the fence again, sat there for a few seconds, then flew off! This is the second time in 2 days that I have seen it and have never seen this type of bird in my yard in the past year. It was in the same exact spot! By the time I got the camera, it was gone...

Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Hawks keep the rodent population under control. If your dog is the size of a rodent don't let it outside during Hawk season.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,281,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
My go to plan if the hawk is a confirmed threat to your pet is to end it as humanely as possible. But I'm dubious as to the legality of that method in the city of Charlotte. After scanning relevant laws, it would appear you are stuck having to call and deal with (the incompetent and always not on time in my experience) Animal Control department, assuming the hawk shows an interest in your dog.
What??? It is a human trait to kill everything that affects us negatively in any way. I understand that. Maybe try keeping an eye on the pet would be a better idea in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Just recently, for the first time in my life, I've heard squirrels being taken by birds of prey. We have owls in our neighborhood, as well as a falcon. It's not a pleasant sound.

You might contact the Raptor Center to see if they have any recommendations to discourage the hawk from sticking around. I think killing should be a last resort (not to mention illegal) - they're important to maintain a balance, as well as being beautiful, fascinating creatures.

I had never thought about our kitty being attacked. I'll need to go out with her from now on! She's such a sweetie, I'd hate it if anything happened to her.
It's not any resort, let alone a last one. It's nature. It's not always pleasant for us to witness. Adapt to it.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM

123 posts, read 188,675 times
Coastal Girl & Krockus - "How Selfish" and "Wildlife is a pain in the ass". Maybe if a coyote would drag off one of your kids, it wouldn't be so humerous or saracastic. It's been known to happen. There are alot of dog/cat lovers out there who would think you are plain ignorant. I cannot imagine how traumatic this would be to witness and you joke about it. I'm from AZ and we don't think twice about shooting at illegals coming up on our property and I'm a pretty good shot. That damn bird can go sit his ass down somewhere else or he may be dinner tonight. Ever have javelina for dinner? If you're on my property, you're fair game. I'm not playin when some wildlife threatens one of my pets.
Mod Cut. Yeah, I'm also a Yankee (I know you Sweet Southerns aren't fond of us), but I shot quite a few deer growing up in Pa. CH14, contact me. Blow his feathers off, but when Enviromental picks him up, he'll look like a freakin Bald Eagle.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-16-2011 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: inappropriate-flaming

Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
Maybe if a coyote would drag off one of your kids, it wouldn't be so humerous or saracastic. It's been known to happen.
Epic! Thanks for backing me up Carmen! I managed to sketch this section-view of the nightmare you just described...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 AM

116 posts, read 205,585 times
It is funny how many of us want to get away from a pure urban (concrete & asphalt) address into a natural/wild setting. And after we move in the natural setting, we want to change nature to a urban setting...

It makes sense that if you have a small pet (that it is fair target by wild birds/animals), any owners should walk/stay with him. Killing a raptor does not mean that there will be no other predators that could get your pet. You should never have peace of mind with a small pet alone in natural settings backyard.

Bottom line, since you choose the natural settings to live in, adapt your life style to it and accompany/protect your pet when outside. If you prefer to have peace of mind (with them outside by themselves) then move to a fenced in urban surrounding...

Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
Coastal Girl & Krockus - "How Selfish" and "Wildlife is a pain in the ass". Maybe if a coyote would drag off one of your kids, it wouldn't be so humerous or saracastic. It's been known to happen. There are alot of dog/cat lovers out there who would think you are plain ignorant. I cannot imagine how traumatic this would be to witness and you joke about it. I'm from AZ and we don't think twice about shooting at illegals coming up on our property and I'm a pretty good shot. That damn bird can go sit his ass down somewhere else or he may be dinner tonight. Ever have javelina for dinner? If you're on my property, you're fair game. I'm not playin when some wildlife threatens one of my pets.
Mod Cut. Yeah, I'm also a Yankee (I know you Sweet Southerns aren't fond of us), but I shot quite a few deer growing up in Pa. CH14, contact me. Blow his feathers off, but when Enviromental picks him up, he'll look like a freakin Bald Eagle.
do you eat raw meat too?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Hawks keep the rodent population under control. If your dog is the size of a rodent don't let it outside during Hawk season.
+1

We have a red-tail hawk that hangs out in our cul-de-sac and hunts in the woods behind our homes.

Our dog is a miniature white schnauzer and I don't leave him out unattended.
I am not angry about it. I marvel at hawks and birds of prey and realize that I have a responsibility as a small dog owner to protect my pet and yet co-exist with nature's wonders.
It's not rocket science.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 AM

There is also more than one hawk in Charlotte.... you can't kill them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte