U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I realize that Wikipedia is edited by regular folk, but the regular folk agree with ME, not YOU. You said I really don't know what I'm talking about, yet I see no back-up from you to prove that you do.

My sister-in-law left CMS the year before Gorman was hired - so much for that theory.
I was referring to your "sister-in-laws mother, who has been there for 30 years and has almost had enough".

Seriously we are not going to see eye to eye on this so why continue? You are welcome to your opinion, though I think one as agitated as yours might be viewed with some speculation by those not familiar with the situation - you seem have an ax to grind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,653 times
I certainly do have an ax to grind. I had to pay thousands of dollars in order to get my children a decent education in Charlotte and now I've had to move 600 miles away and leave all of my friends because we couldn't afford the constant increases in tuition.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I certainly do have an ax to grind. I had to pay thousands of dollars in order to get my children a decent education in Charlotte and now I've had to move 600 miles away and leave all of my friends because we couldn't afford the constant increases in tuition.
I guess moving to Fort Mill or Cabarrus county weren't options? Or moving into another neighorhood in Charlotte with some of the better public schools? Do you know how silly it sounds to blame CMS for your your decision to move to Ohio?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 AM

607 posts, read 1,014,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camary2007 View Post
Well I did do my research and our schools up north were over pact as well but they sure didnt have trailers, maybe I didnt do enough.. Maybe next time I will go even further but dont worry I will sale and be gone.. Thanks for the input and know I don't take it is as being.. rude.. But those who complain about be people come from up NORTH,, South people always running up North as well..
uhhhhh........okay?

Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 AM

245 posts, read 196,350 times
My sister-in-law sisters brother who dates the cafeteria lady blah blah blah....

I think love said it best. There are plenty of other options closer to Meck than Ohio.

My kids are in CMS and will continue to be. I am involved in the classroom as also any other activities that I can help in. It is not a day care!

Some people would rather drop a few thousand and think that would solve it. Just because a kid goes to a private school does not mean that are not going to be involved in the same issues in the private school. I guess since 100,000 kids do not go there and the media does not get involved its just less noise.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM

239 posts, read 803,682 times
Quote:
Well I did do my research and our schools up north were over pact as well but they sure didnt have trailers, maybe I didnt do enough.. Maybe next time I will go even further but dont worry I will sale and be gone.. Thanks for the input and know I don't take it is as being.. rude.. But those who complain about be people come from up NORTH,, South people always running up North as well..
My high school 'up North', as you like to call it, had 3-4 portable classrooms. This was 11-12 years ago in Storrs, CT... Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

On a general note, my kids are in a CMS school in NW Charlotte that is averaging 18-20 kids per classroom. We came here in Jan 07, and while I wasnt ecstatic about their teachers last year (they seemed a little young!), I think this year will be much better. I haven't experienced any horror stories as of yet in our rural little area of CMS, and I hope not to! Reading all of this negativity abt CMS honestly scares me in regards to my kids' futures-- I hope they are not negatively affected!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,595 times
Quote:
The trailers are simply because the school is not large enough to handle the sudden growth. That does not mean that the your kids will not learn anything. I think people just see trailers and think "Redneck." It's a temporary fix. Give the system time to catch up.
As far as education goes, my wife was a teacher on Long Island (NY) for 5 years and is now teaching here in Union County. She says that the education system here is better as far as the kids are concerned. Teachers pay and benefits are a different story but as far as education , it is much better than in NY. She even attended a workshop back on LI before leaving and studies have shown that NY and California which are usually regarded as the leaders in education are actually behind when compared to the rest of the country. Don't let the state tests fool you.
Sounds like you may just be unhappy with your move and you are just looking to nit pick things about Charlotte, but I could be wrong. Just kind of how I am reading your responses. As far as your last sentence in your post. Not sure how to even translate what you were trying to say.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
My high school 'up North', as you like to call it, had 3-4 portable classrooms. This was 11-12 years ago in Storrs, CT... Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

On a general note, my kids are in a CMS school in NW Charlotte that is averaging 18-20 kids per classroom. We came here in Jan 07, and while I wasnt ecstatic about their teachers last year (they seemed a little young!), I think this year will be much better. I haven't experienced any horror stories as of yet in our rural little area of CMS, and I hope not to! Reading all of this negativity abt CMS honestly scares me in regards to my kids' futures-- I hope they are not negatively affected!
Can't always knock a teacher for being young. You sometimes need young people in the system to bring in fresh ideas and spark new life in the older teachers. I know when my wife started her first year she introduced a few new techniques that the children really enjoyed and found very helpful that some of the teachers that were in her dept for 10+ years picked up on and started using. Turns out that when it came time for the state tests and overall grades for the year she had the most successful students. So give the younger teachers a chance and just don't knock them for being young.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM

239 posts, read 803,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Can't always knock a teacher for being young. You sometimes need young people in the system to bring in fresh ideas and spark new life in the older teachers. I know when my wife started her first year she introduced a few new techniques that the children really enjoyed and found very helpful that some of the teachers that were in her dept for 10+ years picked up on and started using. Turns out that when it came time for the state tests and overall grades for the year she had the most successful students. So give the younger teachers a chance and just don't knock them for being young.
Oh, I know youth has nothing to do with it in general-- I just didnt want to explain myself due to laziness...

1 teacher was a little too laid back and quiet, and it appeared to be from inexperience... She would kind of peep 'Yeah, ok, sure' a lot...

The other was just a hot mess... always yelling, didnt seem to get a good handle on controlling the class, didnt seem to know how to engage the kids- also, in my opinion, due to inexperience...

My poor choice of words!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,421,934 times
People, I had mobile classrooms in a western state...in 1982.

For the love of god, you people bringing in 5000 extra kids with your mass NE exodus coming here and complaining is ridiculous. Yes the resources are stretched thin, we have historically had ineffective leaders...but the leadership has changed and we are doing our best to accomodate all of you New England refugees.

By the way, I was just 1500 miles away on a business trip and turned on the tv to find *gasp* stories about 1st week problems with buses and that school district did NOT have 5000 extra kids starting school yesterday. If you think 1st week issues and overcrowding are uniquely Charlotte issues, you lead a sheltered life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or